• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rusty Knot

san

Tried the Rusty Knot for cocktails on Saturday at sunset to kick off a 24 hour trip to nyc. The food was bad ass and the cocktails were spot on. It was the first time I'd ever been to a place that was described as a 'dive bar' whose drinks put most other bar bars to shame. Well done, Toby. It's quite nice to be able to have a perfectly executed rye manhattan in a bar that also has yuengling on tap and blares Journey over its speakers. I can't wait to return.

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

The Rusty Knot has been really interesting to work on as it so very very different from the style of bar I have been working in for the last 8 years. It is a jiggerless house, the juke playing Heart and AC/DC, there is flavored vodka in the speed rails, and you can get a can of Tecate (with fresh lime juice and salt on the top) for 5 bucks.

But some things I just can’t change. I am making my own sour mix, using fresh squeezed juices, I have lots of good rums and whiskeys on hand, ( yeah, a 30 dollar rye to go with your 3 dollar Busch?) and three bottles of bitters in each station.

It had been a challenge, and a joy to do something outside my cocktail geek zone.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I live four blocks away so I've been in a number of times. the lack of jiggers is a disappointment. the actual liquor collection is pretty decent, nice to see little in the way of vodka but a decent assortment of ryes and rums instead.

music is good. food is pretty good bar food. like the chicken liver and bacon sandwich, as well as the razor clams.

alas, last night (Tuesday!) was packed with tourists and B&T.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Not every bar needs jiggers. Sometimes they just don't look right. If you are in a regular bar, there is a juke playing Led Zepplin, the bartender is wearing a black Peaches t-shirt and ripped jeans, the jigger comes off as being stingy with the booze. Not a good look.

I am instituting a program where the drink is made freepour, then tasted, then if it is out of balance, corrected with fresh lime or lemon or simple. As the "House sour mix" is in balance then the only time the drink will be out of balance is if some other componant is added, and the bartenders account for it.

Toby

• 3 months later...

I am now trying to figure the best way to eat crow. Breaded and fried with a corn relish? I have egg white on my face. I thought that it would be possible to open a bar without jiggers. I was wrong. I thought that if you give bartenders the right tools that they would do the right thing, they would take some pride on putting out a quality, consistant product. I was wrong. I have learned that if you have fresh squeezed juices, good booze and thoughtfuly contructed syrups you need jiggers.

Please forgive my hubris.

Toby