• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen U.S. (2008)

CKatCook

Louross bugs me!, I hope he doesn't win.  I want Jen to win, she seems to be a strong contender.  I can't WAIT for Corey to go home, she also bugs the crap out of me.  I also think that as much as they don't like her, Christine isn't that bad!  I think Vanessa is a wuss, GR was willing to let her stay, tough it out, what do you have to lose?

Vanessa was definitely a wuss, and I got tired of her weeping every week. She talked tough, like how she was going to tough it out with the burned hand, then she QUIT. Feh. I can live with Jen winning - she's a strong leader and capable cook and has big blue clangy ones. Bobby, however, is still a joke to me and Matt makes me mildly nauseous just listening to him. I'm wondering if Petrozza has got a come-from-behind gambit in his bag of tricks? He saved Louross' butt over the well-done meat AND got it past Chef Scott - hahahahaha! Ahh, those wily, Macchiavellian Italians! :laugh:

I like Jen, I think she is strong competitor and cook, but I think in the end her ego is going to get in the way. Louross I think could take it, so could what's her name that was nominated, (I can't remember now, sorry) It seems the women's team are picking the nominees for very catty reasons and Ramsey is pick up on it.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I like Jen, I think she is strong competitor and cook, but I think in the end her ego is going to get in the way. Louross I think could take it, so could what's her name that was nominated, (I can't remember now, sorry) It seems the women's team are picking the nominees for very catty reasons and Ramsey is pick up on it.

I'd hqave to agree with you there. Twice now, the nominating woman has put her choices up for strategic reasons, and twice, Gordon has either overruled or

disregarded her. Good for him.

I think Jen might just win it all. Matt will probalby the next to go for the guys. The gal who can't mash potatoes for the women.

I think this is a feeder program for Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. The chefs that leave here try to go on thier own then they pay to bring him in for a few weeks of abuse to put the place on track.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I think this is a feeder program for Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. The chefs that leave here try to go on thier own then they pay to bring him in for a few weeks of abuse to put the place on track.

Nice theory - wouldn't surprise me at all if it played out that way! :-D

Last nights show was interesting. Was I the only one wondering to myself what that mother must have paid to make that happen? I don't think the menu's were appropreiate for a sweet 16 and the choice to send home the person who was sent home was correct.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

What a strange season this year.

I can't decide if they are all actors and playing scripted roles, or if backstage there are producers turning ovens and burners up and down at will.

Add the bizarre hot tub scene and I was just shaking my head.

And the poor girl. What kind of life has she been leading? Never tasted shrimp and eats filet med-well. Oh my.

I am stunned and wondering why Ramsay sent that chick home over one of the other two, who not only screwed up tonight, but in the past as well.

This show is moronic!

I don't know - Rosann couldn't mash potatoes last week and held up the entire line, and she undercooked the mother's steak this week, but suddenly, SHAYNA'S a problem? Rosann's been on the block twice - back-to-back - and I don't understand how she keeps managing to dodge the bullet. I was so sure Matt was going to go this week, and he probably would have, if he hadn't told Ramsay he wants to cook on the women's team. Good TV drama is the only reason he's still standing this week.

Corey hates eveybody, doesn't she? Can't stand Christina, and she was definitely gloating when Shayna got axed. Aiiiiii, mami - it's telenova time!

Exactly. Suddenly Shayna is slow, but Rosann and Matt who have been

screw-ups from the word GO keep managing to stick around. There is no

way in HELL either one of those two could run Ramsay's restaurant!!

And that pouty/poor me look of "Matty's" is getting soooo ooooooold.

And, Corey likes herself waaaaaaaay too much.

I say it's LouRoss, Jenn, or dare I say it - Bobby. AT least they know how to

take charge of a kitchen.

This show is ridiculous. What a uniformly unlikeable bunch of contestants.

I've only seen parts of two episodes.

I recently got the Dish Network, and now that I have BBCAmerica, I've developed an unhealthy fascination with Gordon Ramsay. I'd never really paid much attention to him before, having only superficially absorbed the press that he was an asshole who swore alot, but he's the only flippin' person on this show that appears to be from Planet Earth. And that includes the moron sickly sweet sixteen and her moron mother from last night.

Almost every aspect of this show is cringe-inducing. I don't feel the need to watch anymore, even for the sake of Ramsay.

Does anyone remember when the girl mentioned she'd never had SHRIMP? Why the HELL would you want your party at a Gordon Ramsay restaurant? UGH! :angry:

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Oh, God, an LA teenager who's never had shrimp and eats her meat well-done (OK, that part usually changes as you get older), and that brittle, pterodactyl mother! Made me shudder! Even Ramsay looked at her askance - "you don't want to get that mother angry at you" (or words to that effect). :biggrin:

This show is ridiculous.  What a uniformly unlikeable bunch of contestants.

I recently got the Dish Network, and now that I have BBCAmerica, I've developed an unhealthy fascination with Gordon Ramsay.  I'd never really paid much attention to him before, having only superficially absorbed the press that he was an asshole who swore alot, but he's the only flippin' person on this show that appears to be from Planet Earth.  And that includes the moron sickly sweet sixteen and her moron mother from last night.

I've got the same unhealthy fascination. I also bought his three star chef cookbook. He is a totally different person on The F Word, the British Kitchen Nightmares, and Ramsay's Boiling Point. Obviously the producers of this show are pandering to typical American tv tastes. This Sunday morning he made two dishes on The F Word that were made with the pigs he raised in his back yard.. Herb and Lemon stuffed Roast Loin and Pressed Belly. He also did pan seared halibut on top of red wine glazed pancetta, shallots and mushrooms. I was literally drooling on the couch. He's much more relaxed on the British shows. I'd love to spend some time with him. Anybody who thinks the Hell's Kitchen version is really him is uninformed.

Edited by McDuff (log)

I recently got the Dish Network, and now that I have BBCAmerica, I've developed an unhealthy fascination with Gordon Ramsay.  I'd never really paid much attention to him before, having only superficially absorbed the press that he was an asshole who swore alot, but he's the only flippin' person on this show that appears to be from Planet Earth.  And that includes the moron sickly sweet sixteen and her moron mother from last night.

I've got the same unhealthy fascination. I also bought his three star chef cookbook. He is a totally different person on The F Word, the British Kitchen Nightmares, and Ramsay's Boiling Point. Obviously the producers of this show are pandering to typical American tv tastes. This Sunday morning he made two dishes on The F Word that were made with the pigs he raised in his back yard.. Herb and Lemon stuffed Roast Loin and Pressed Belly. He also did pan seared halibut on top of red wine glazed pancetta, shallots and mushrooms. I was literally drooling on the couch. He's much more relaxed on the British shows. I'd love to spend some time with him. Anybody who thinks the Hell's Kitchen version is really him is uninformed.

The Hell's Kitchen Gordon is Gordon, but only part of his overall personality. He doesn't suffer fools, that's for sure, but he's not simply a raging martinet. I've not seen Boiling Point, but I've seen a good few KNs, and a couple F words. On the F words he's been 98% pleasant. On KN, he looses his patience all the time and has his freak outs, but the subjects of the rants are not innocents -- head chefs getting head chef pay who can't cook are frequent examples -- and he also devotes his energy to encouraging the impressionables he meets, and even those he thinks are lost causes if it'll get the food out. I saw the pigs too. I was concerned about the kids faced with eating them, but they sure got into it. I just ordered his bio. It's ridiculous really.

But these idiots on Hell's Kitchen don't seem to evoke that part of him.

Why the HELL would you want your party at a Gordon Ramsay restaurant? UGH! angry.gif
In this case, I'm going with Mom's a famewhore. And as a Fox show, it's all about the yelling and the "drama" and not much about food. The BBCA shows do a better job of that, at least.

The Hell's Kitchen Gordon is Gordon, but only part of his overall personality. He doesn't suffer fools, that's for sure, but he's not simply a raging martinet. I've not seen Boiling Point, but I've seen a good few KNs, and a couple F words. On the F words he's been 98% pleasant. On KN, he looses his patience all the time and has his freak outs, but the subjects of the rants are not innocents -- head chefs getting head chef pay who can't cook are frequent examples -- and he also devotes his energy to encouraging the impressionables he meets, and even those he thinks are lost causes if it'll get the food out. I saw the pigs too. I was concerned about the kids faced with eating them, but they sure got into it. I just ordered his bio. It's ridiculous really.

But these idiots on Hell's Kitchen don't seem to evoke that part of him.

You also have to consider that he's more or less paid to yell at them. The more chicken throwing the better!

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Ndy's hit it on the head. I've seen all of the Ramsay shows - from the earliest Boiling Point of 10 years ago, when he opened his own restuarant and started gunning to be the youngest 3-Mich Brit chef - through Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (both Brit and American, with the British version being much more sedate), the F Word and Hell's Kitchen, and while Gordon is a yeller, hyperactive and a perfectionist, he is nowhere near the sociopath he's expected to be on HK. Not only is he being told to ramp up the Evil Gordon, but that aspect of his personality is no doubt genuinely exacerbated by the fact that GR is handed a really useless lot of would-be chefs with a few exceptions) that would drive any chef of GR's caliber stark raving mad.

Having said that, however, I still believe that GR does have a savage tongue on him and can be verbally brutal. Even though his staff is very loyal to him and he has extremely low turnout in his kitchens, he clearly does have a verbal bully in him. I remember on Boiling Point he just didn't chew out a cook - even after he was done chewing him out, he went back and badgered him relentlessly up and done the line endlessly. It's like once the verbal violence switch gets thrown, he can't lay off.

I'm guessing that Gordo really is a lot nicer, on an hour-by-hour basis, than his TV and/or kitchen persona, but I don't think his screaming and bullying is an act, either - he definitely has that element to his personality, because it DOES show up when he is out of the kitchen. Face it - persoanlity-wise, he just isn't Thomas Keller.

None of the current crop are real contenders for anything beyond the local McDonalds. That being said, didn't the show end with a shadowy figure seen entering the dining room causing everyone to gasp?

So who is it? Jen?

If so, my money's on her.

None of the current crop are real contenders for anything beyond the local McDonalds. That being said, didn't the show end with a shadowy figure seen entering the dining room causing everyone to gasp?

So who is it? Jen?

maybe it's that contestant that he was going to send to culinary school and then have back on the show..forget her name.

Gordon Ramsey was on Conan O'Brien last week. He came off very polite, personable, and funny, although he dropped a couple bleeps when he was describing how Conan did the last time they did a cooking demo on the show. He is a very intense person even when in a relaxed situation.

After the first segment, they did another cooking demo, giving Conan an opportunity to take a few slugs from a tequila bottle, and Gordon threw the spring roll Conan purposely screwed up against the curtain.

It showed his funny and human side. I like the guy, even with the Hell's Kitchen editing. Maybe even more so because of it. He's paid to present an attitude on the show, and he does it about as well as anyone.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

So who is it? Jen?

maybe it's that contestant that he was going to send to culinary school and then have back on the show..forget her name.

Great concept! I never thought of that. I figured it would be the girl who quit two weeks ago after the burn. I hope it turns out that way.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

****************SEMI-SPOILER******************************

Although I thought the girls would have it in for Matt (or at least Rosann), I was glad to see the vicious, manipulative and snarky Ben get thoroughly bollocked by GR. He kept engineering the voting to get rid of Matt - much like Corey trying to eliminate Christina - and the only one who came out looking good was Petrozza. Rosann still looks on VERY shaky ground for next week, though - she's had three really bad services in a row.

What happened to the mystery chef being introduced? Oh well.

I was very distracted with my daughter coming in while the show was on, so I missed much of the dialogue. The taste test was interesting. Some were hard. Others I wondered how they had been cooked which could make a huge difference.