• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen U.S. (2008)

CKatCook

I finally watched this abomination of NON-Entertainment.

First things first.

This idiot of so called Chef is a disgrace to the entire Culinary profession worldwide.

I do not care if he runs, works or owns one or many or any actual Restaurants, but, if there were a "Bar" Association of cooks/chefs, he should be disbared from being not only a member, but also prohibited from actually cooking in a Restaurant where people do pay money to eat.

At least in other so called reality TV shows, the people generally do not dishonor a trade, the trade in which they are making a living, and are doing their job gladly.

And if this moron Ramsey thinks, that he is training or preparing these guys and dolls for a carrier, he must be dreaming.

And if the producers of this TV "Show" think they are smart by ladleing this garbage onto America, the sponsors should think twice.

A Donald Trump he never will be.

If the final reward for the ultimate 'winner' in this competition (which it is not) is a so called Executive Chef position in one of Mr Jack Ass Ramsey's restaurant kitchens, this would be the final insult to the participant of this Show.

The title of the show " Hell's Kitchen " is not even relevant as the devil or satan is smarter then the main character.

Ramsey: get off, go back to England.

Gordon certainly deserves some vitriol for ever agreeing to do a show based on this concept, and agreeing to act like he has. But is it his own invention? Sure, he had a British show of the same name, but the concept of this one just reeks Fox.

I haven't watched this season as the only thing that made me watch last season was the entertainment that Gordon provided, but in previous seasons... it became quite obvious that all of the contests were a sham. There were wholly too many ties, too many "bottom of the 9th" situations to ever believe that these teams were actually competing in any fair manner. Producers either instructed Gordon to make the competitions end up this way, or they did it step by step, choosing the winners.

The same concept continues with Gordon tasting things... while 95% of the things he has to taste probably aren't very good (When was the last time a reputable restaurant was named in someone's bio/resume?), he doesn't have to spit them all out or smash the plate into someone's clothes, or whatever he does. He's acting. 100%. (Ok, maybe not on that chocolate caviar venison whatever crap) While it's something I'm not going to watch anymore... it's no worse than any other reality show that isn't all skill based. It's more Big Brother than Top Chef, Bachelor over Project runway.

What it comes down to is what the Fox producers want. Gordon doesn't have the time, and certainly not the desire to design a show in which he's only going to yell at people. He's picking up a paycheck. Sure, it might be selling out, but unless really presented with the opportunity... and I mean really, like an offer of millions of dollars, I don't think many of us can 100% say we wouldn't do the same.

He's quite obviously done his time in the kitchen, under chefs like Robuchon and MPW. He definitely has the show biz bug more than most chefs.... but why not? He's done some great things with the British Kitchen Nightmares, some really quality programming on the F Word, and some pretty decent cookbooks. He has his 3 stars. (Amongst others)

I agree that Hell's Kitchen isn't quality programming and that it's probably not doing anything to further food appreciation for most. But Gordon... has done his time. He's been a positive influence in many ways on the world of food.

I agree completely. HK is a Fox abomination, GR is just picking up the paycheck. I watch it for its comedic value.

The one thing I do not get though is how they fill the place up, take all the orders and then try to cook all the starters, then all the entree's, followed by desserts. All of my experience has been cooking by the covers. The first table ordering should be done eating starters at least by the time the last table is called in. We do not get to see how this works, because we only see what the producers think will hold out attention. Its anything but realistic IMO.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

To quote ' theisenm85 ' here :

" I agree that Hell's Kitchen isn't quality programming and that it's probably not doing anything to further food appreciation for most "

It's just a continuation of

The Dumbing down of America

( which is not hard to do )

Peter

I love Hell's Kitchen because I respect Ramsay, but this season feels like it's simply whoring itself out for ratings. Good ol' Fox at its best.

That being said, it's a hell of alot better than most primetime TV these days.

I don't really look at it like he's being just an asshole to be an asshole....I look at it like a boot camp mentality where he "breaks down" his recruits then builds them into a serious culinary team. The first few weeks are always the toughest to get rid of the most glaring weak links.

It's actually quite effective psychology--keep them seeking/wanting approval, denying it (to an obscene level) so that every small victory gives confidence and is a building block for better things.

If you've seen his other shows (except Boiling Point, of course :) ) then you'll know that the constant yelling/cussing is not really what he is about, it's just a means to an end to whip these idiotic "chefs" into shape--remember that one is supposed to be exec. at his LA restaurant. I'd be acting like him if I had a similar group of rubes up for the job.

Of course some of it is for ratings, but I don't think he's an abomination or anything.

If you watch him carefully (and not on HK) he's actually quite articulate, knowledgeable and a good mentor. Remember that a lot of his key staff has been with his since before his namesake restaurant even existed--that kind of loyalty by staff isn't given out to people who don't deserve it.

What I will say, while he may not be "furthering food appreciation," at the very least he makes working and toiling in a kitchen and a restaurant look like very hard work (which it is). Maybe people will begin to realize that a great plate of food, terrific service, and great ambiance don't all just magically appear--they must be worked and strived for on a daily basis.

Edited by Qwerty (log)

OMG they are about worst assembled "team of Chefs" that they could've got. It is amazing that someone is actually paying these clowns to cook somewhere. I wonder if Jason even knew how to make a souffle. It should take what 5-10 mins at most to remember 3-4 desserts, what a dolt.

Mike

I told my wife last night while watching that these people must be actors.  There is no way normal people are that dang dumb and still bloviate in that manner.

Doodad, I'm with you. I cannot imagine that any of this is real.

Does anyone know what happened to past winners? Is there really a job waiting for them? Do they get to do it? (Does anyone have any idea why I care? :huh: I don't...)

Why does everybody have a "I don't know why I watch" or "it really sucks but..." disclaimer? I watch it if I'm home when it's on, no disclaimer or apology included. :raz: I realize it's scripted to some (probably high) degree and edited for maximum drama. I know it's going to be Chef Ramsay and whatever assistants he has that season yelling at a bunch of jelly beans and maybe two or three people at best that have some real potential. That's the point, I already know it so I'm not expecting any more than that. I do think each season has gotten progressively worse in regards to the contestants though. They're definitely seeking people who will give up plenty of ass-chewing opportunities during casting. I don't know what the hell that "sous chef" thought he was doing to that poor chicken and does anybody really start working in a new kitchen without looking at the menu? He should have made them kill and butcher the live chickens. Based on all the whining going on when they thought they were going to have to, that would have brought out some upper level yelling! :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Why does everybody have a "I don't know why I watch" or "it really sucks but..." disclaimer? I watch it if I'm home when it's on, no disclaimer or apology included. :raz: I realize it's scripted to some (probably high) degree and edited for maximum drama. I know it's going to be Chef Ramsay and whatever assistants he has that season yelling at a bunch of jelly beans and maybe two or three people at best that have some real potential. That's the point, I already know it so I'm not expecting any more than that. I do think each season has gotten progressively worse in regards to the contestants though. They're definitely seeking people who will give up plenty of ass-chewing opportunities during casting. I don't know what the hell that "sous chef" thought he was doing to that poor chicken and does anybody really start working in a new kitchen without looking at the menu? He should have made them kill and butcher the live chickens. Based on all the whining going on when they thought they were going to have to, that would have brought out some upper level yelling! :biggrin:

He knew where to buy the hat though LOLOL. How in the heck could he break that chicken leg? I just keep thinking OMG I'm lucky I've never eaten in any places that these people cook in.

Mike

Here's my question - is Ramsay the new Rocco?

I get the impression that Ramsay is indeed a competent chef, but both his TV shows are absolutely ridiculous. I am not generally much bothered by profanity, but Ramsay can't get through a sentence without saying the "f-word" (can I say it here?) at least three times. He makes Ozzy look like a skilled linguist. It's not camp, it's not clever, it is simply ignorant, and it makes it impossible to take him seriously.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

Anyone remember the part in AB's "Kichen confidential" where he asked for burn cream and the broiler guy looked at him and pulled a pan out of the broiler with his bare hands? Thats what I thought of last night.

As a side note, I once grabbed metal fresh out of a 365F fryer I immeditately turned around and plunged my hand into the nearest liquid which was dill pickle brine. The pain was immediately gone. The burn was still there but not the pain. Now when I get a burn I just put a pickle on it. true story and it does work.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

That's handy to know, I would think the salt and vinegar in the brine would do the opposite.

I am beginning to think they pick people that would make GR twist off. I mean, last season when (I cannot remember her name, but she won the show) burnt her hand she ran over and stuck it in water, then went to the doctor. It seem every season they try to play up what went down well last season.

But I agreed with who went home this week.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

That's handy to know, I would think the salt and vinegar in the brine would do the opposite.

I am beginning to think they pick people that would make GR twist off. I mean, last season when (I cannot remember her name, but she won the show) burnt her hand she ran over and stuck it in water, then went to the doctor. It seem every season they try to play up what went down well last season.

But I agreed with who went home this week.

That was Heather of Season Two. She actually held it together and was still communicating with her team about what's on the line when she was taken out to be treated.

This woman (sorry, already forgot her name - was it Vanessa?) is no Heather though.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

OK, I had Emeril Live on last night. It was a rerun of his casserole show. At one point, Emeril hollers out, "How are you guys in the back doing?", and they cut to the bleacher section, and I SWEAR Corey was there in the bleachers, wearing her chef jacket.

I don't know when this was filmed, but I saw the same casserole show a couple months ago. Maybe she was trying to lure Emeril into the hot tub. :hmmm:

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

It's like a really bad car wreck, I can't help myself. My wife can't stand the show anymore. With the insane rage and bugging eyes of Ramsey, I think he's got some kind of coke problem. Maybe that's why I keep watching, waithing for Ramsey to have that massive coronary on TV.

It's like a really bad car wreck, I can't help myself. My wife can't stand the show anymore. With  the insane rage and bugging eyes of Ramsey, I think he's got some kind of coke problem. Maybe that's why I keep watching, waithing for Ramsey to have that massive coronary on TV.

If ONLY Ramsay's hyperactive ranting could be blamed on coke! I thought it ridiculous that Louross even got nominated for elimination - true, he wrecked a few steaks but his services usually have been good, and he's frequently rallied the men's team together. Matt, meanwhile, trashed NUMEROUS quail eggs during the same service - and no one even thought to put HIM up? Oy.

Christine continues to be the victim of her team's dislike. She wouldn't have lagged so badly at the dessert station if she had Jen, like she was supposed to - but whom, unfortunately, had to leave apps and go babysit Rosann on veg, because she suddenly lost her ability to mash potatoes correctly. Oy! Another drink! And Rosann has the NERVE to say she's a better cook than Christine.

It's a terrible trainwreck, this season, if a trainwreck also had a telenova wrapped around it and gratuitous nudity thrown in. You just can't turn it off. Ramsay's ranting, or the cheftestants' stupefying stupidity? Who can resist?!

My money is still on Louross, the dark horse - but I'm keeping an eye on Jen and Christine. People hate Louross and Christine for a reason, I'm thinking, and it's not because "they cry like a bitch" in the kitchen. They certainly don't.

Louross bugs me!, I hope he doesn't win. I want Jen to win, she seems to be a strong contender. I can't WAIT for Corey to go home, she also bugs the crap out of me. I also think that as much as they don't like her, Christine isn't that bad! I think Vanessa is a wuss, GR was willing to let her stay, tough it out, what do you have to lose?