• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen U.S. (2008)

CKatCook

I am a little surprised, though, that if he's really like that to people, no one has snapped and given him a good ass-kicking for his trouble.

This article was written mid-season 2, I think, and while I think Gordo is probably a lot nicer in real life than on HK, I still think he is a first class wanker:

http://www.salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink/20.../gordon_ramsay/

On Boiling Point, I saw him nasty and belligerent to "civilians" (non-restaurant staff), totally unprovoked (no, no tricks of editing - just out of the blue), and he is totally crude and foul-mouthed. He named his first restaurant, Aubergine (eggplant) after a part of his anatomy.

Having said that, I'm well aware of the profanity and screaming that goes on in a lot of professional kitchens, and Gordo is a top-notch chef, and an absolute perfectionist. I'm sure he ramps up Football Thug Gordo for TV (and I'm sure being faced with a lot of lame ass would-be cooks brings out even more of his worst), but I still think there is a belligerent bully at the core of his personality - his better characteristics notwithstanding. He was abused by his chefs in their kitchens, and he's passed that abuse along to his subordinates. I know his staff is extremely loyal to him - he pays very well, the chance to learn from a great chef is there, and a lot of his chefs get rewarded with their own restaurants in the Gordo Empire - but I STILL think he's a wanker. I think the word our Brit friends use is "bolshy". :hmmm:

Just watched the first episode. Same old stuff, though a lot more spitting and throwing...The vomiting scene seemed extremely over-dramatized. Either he has a weak stomach or he's very good at spewing on command. Nonetheless, I'll continue to watch the slaughter unfold, unable to look away. I don't understand why I'm drawn to this show. :wink:

I watched the show and was shocked at the lack of quality of the cooks - I can't say chef. Man, do they pick the worse of the worse to see Gordon Ramsey flip out? I think the tossing the cookies thing was fake, personally. Wouldn't anyone have barfed after that combo of entree? I cannot believe the people that say "he (meaning Gordon Ramsey) don't know what he is doing/talking about". It's almost too painful...

I've seen him puke a couple of times before - both on kitchen nightmares(UK) both involved scallops IIRC. If memory serves Ramsey had a really really bad experience w/ seafood that had gone off & that seems to make him puke easily when served dubious seafood dishes. I guess that translates to I don't think the puking was entirely contrived.

OK I admit it. I watch this show but there's not enough wine in the house to get me through a drinking game.

I really like the kitchen nightmares show as well. Ramsey... He's an a**hole no doubt but I think an honest one. He is certainly passionate about food and seems to really care about it. I have a good friend who owns a couple of restaurants and has a similar interpersonal skill set to GR but the food is to die for so maybe I have a soft spot for that archetype.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I...watched....exactly 90 seconds of this show tonight, and as much as I love the worst of the worst of reality TV (Bret Michaels Rock of Love = GENIUS for me), all I could hear while watching Hell's Kitchen was the classic Jesus Lizard lyric..."don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy, I like him just fine......but he's a mouth breather"....and that was it for me. The litmus test for all of you people should be, when I tune out, it's time to pack it up and join some very marginalized religious order.... :raz:

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

...but I STILL think he's a wanker. I think the word our Brit friends use is "bolshy".

No, we prefer wanker.

Wanker it is, then. Speaking of wankers - Bobby. And Jason, a crappier-looking version of Paul Giamatti. Jason talks a good game about how he's going to beat down those "bitches" on the girl's team, but I saw him standing, slack-jawed and clueless, with a handful of raw scallops - just like Dominic did last week. Oh, yeah, we got us some real raw talent in the kitchen THIS season, oh, yes! And what's with Roseann? She held the tickets for a while (like, 2 hours?) because she didn't want to overwhelm the kitchen? Hadn't the red kitchen waited for tickets for 45 minutes at the beginning of service? OMG! You NEVER hold the tickets! And does Gordon hate blondes in general, or jusy blonde women?

I...watched....exactly 90 seconds of this show tonight, and as much as I love the worst of the worst of reality TV (Bret Michaels Rock of Love = GENIUS for me), all I could hear while watching Hell's Kitchen was the classic Jesus Lizard lyric..."don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy, I like him just fine......but he's a mouth breather"....and that was it for me.  The litmus test for all of you people should be, when I  tune out, it's time to pack it up and join some very marginalized religious order.... :raz:

I forced myself to watch the whole thing last night, but it was a chore. DH is a big UK Kitchen Nightmares fan but not a fan of this show.

I liked the previous two episodes a little more, although I must admit it was funny when GR called Sharon out for sticking her tongue out all the time. It was rather odd.

The only thing I wonder is if it's a requirement for the contestants not to have ever watched it. The contestants always seem surprised by events that happen every friggin' season.

I keep watching because eventually GR has to have a stroke or something. Right?

edit for clarity

Edited by Darcie B (log)

Oh. My. God. :blink:

Where to start?

I've never seen a dumber bunch of peeps. I guess I just need to get it thru

my skull that this show is not about food . . . it's about drama, yelling, cursing,

screaming, stupidity, etc.

Jason - if I hear one more word about the 'dumbness' of girls and how they

need a man over in their kitchen in order to get anything done, and then I

watch you standing there with your thumb up your a$$, I'm not sure my

television will survive the evening.

Corey - I guess it was a 'strategic' move to nominate those two ladies just

because you didn't like them and not due to the performance in the kitchen.

Again, another point that this is not about cooking . . . it's a popularity contest.

I'm glad at least Ramsay had the smarts to toss out "Barbie" and disregard

Corey's choices.

Jenn - you are not God's gift to the kitchen. Get over yourself.

?? - can't remember his name, but he's the one that just couldn't remember

the menu and was repeatedly told to 'go to his room and study'. You'd think

the last episode would prompt these fools to know the menu.

?? - the chick who held the tickets for 2 hours . . . what more can I say?

I'm speechless.

Edited by hungryCAT (log)

the menu and was repeatedly told to 'go to his room and study'.  You'd think

?? - the chick who held the tickets for 2 hours . . .  what more can I say?

I'm speechless.

Petrozza was the dude. Roseann was the woman. Did ANYONE on the blue team ever memorize (or even read) their binders? Jesus. What a bunch of losers. And Jason obviously disdains women because he never gets laid. I wonder if the women will drown or poison him in the hot tub next week - BEFORE he quits. Loser. Double loser.

The only highlight was how close the guys came to exactly 6 ounces for the piece of fish and how far away the girls were! Other than that. . . . .

And holding tickets for 2 hours? Where did she learn that trick?

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

the menu and was repeatedly told to 'go to his room and study'.  You'd think

?? - the chick who held the tickets for 2 hours . . .  what more can I say?

I'm speechless.

Petrozza was the dude. Roseann was the woman. Did ANYONE on the blue team ever memorize (or even read) their binders? Jesus. What a bunch of losers. And Jason obviously disdains women because he never gets laid. I wonder if the women will drown or poison him in the hot tub next week - BEFORE he quits. Loser. Double loser.

Did you happen to catch when Petrozza said he had not worked the line in 20 years?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

The only highlight was how close the guys came to exactly 6 ounces for the piece of fish and how far away the girls were!  Other than that. . . . .

OK, I was out of the room when they weighed the girls' fish.....what did it come in at?

I finally watched this abomination of NON-Entertainment.

First things first.

This idiot of so called Chef is a disgrace to the entire Culinary profession worldwide.

I do not care if he runs, works or owns one or many or any actual Restaurants, but, if there were a "Bar" Association of cooks/chefs, he should be disbared from being not only a member, but also prohibited from actually cooking in a Restaurant where people do pay money to eat.

At least in other so called reality TV shows, the people generally do not dishonor a trade, the trade in which they are making a living, and are doing their job gladly.

And if this moron Ramsey thinks, that he is training or preparing these guys and dolls for a carrier, he must be dreaming.

And if the producers of this TV "Show" think they are smart by ladleing this garbage onto America, the sponsors should think twice.

A Donald Trump he never will be.

If the final reward for the ultimate 'winner' in this competition (which it is not) is a so called Executive Chef position in one of Mr Jack Ass Ramsey's restaurant kitchens, this would be the final insult to the participant of this Show.

The title of the show " Hell's Kitchen " is not even relevant as the devil or satan is smarter then the main character.

Ramsey: get off, go back to England.

Peter

The only highlight was how close the guys came to exactly 6 ounces for the piece of fish and how far away the girls were!  Other than that. . . . .

OK, I was out of the room when they weighed the girls' fish.....what did it come in at?

Boy's at 5.9 (Ben) and girl's at 4.8 (Carey).