• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen U.S. (2008)

CKatCook

Well, for those of us that live in the US, Hell's Kitchen starts on Fox tonight. I always look forward to the yelling around for some reason and this season looks to be particularly good.

Is anyone else watching?

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Just watched the first episode. Same old stuff, though a lot more spitting and throwing...The vomiting scene seemed extremely over-dramatized. Either he has a weak stomach or he's very good at spewing on command. Nonetheless, I'll continue to watch the slaughter unfold, unable to look away. I don't understand why I'm drawn to this show. :wink:

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

....... Gordon yelling at a bunch of misfits..........

They really are a bunch of misfits this time aren't they? A legal receptionist, a stay-at-home dad, somebody who hasn't cooked in ten years, etc, etc. And one of 'em is going to become Ramsay's Exec Chef at his new resto in LA. Yeah, right!

This is the first show I've watched of the series. Amazing! Were the other years like this?

Where did they find these "chefs"? It is hard to believe that many of them would be entrusted with an exec chef job at Denny's, let alone at a real place.

I'm ashamed that I enjoyed it.

I can't imagine there's anything realistic about the show, but it's still fun to watch. After all, if they were competent, it wouldn't be so much fun to yell at the tv!

My favorite parts so far are the short guy in the tall toque and the 24 year old girl saying that Ramsey doesn't know what he's talking about. Oh yeah, and the stay at home dad. Why do these people think they should be on this show?

I wonder what kind of moron test you have to pass to be a contestant. Last year's first few shows gave me nightmares about working with them. This year's are beyond any hope whatsoever.

And just exactly what was Mr Toepicker smoking? Anyone see him wash his hands?

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

In my opinion. Even if it was somewhat realistic it could be entertaining. But as it is not it boarders on the line of even being insulting to the restaurant industry.

The chance of one of those contestants managing a kitchen in a multi million dollar restaurant organization? I was hoping Ramsay would have looked straight at the camera and said April fools.

Robert R

the thing with that is there is no way to know if he really was out there smoking and picking his feet while service was about to start. he could have been back in a store room fetching something. But you won't see that because there is no fixed camera back there, and video of a guy picking his feet and smoking is funnier/helps get the story across.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I wonder what kind of moron test you have to pass to be a contestant. Last year's first few shows gave me nightmares about working with them. This year's are beyond any hope whatsoever.

"The Moron Test" has been a theory of mine since the show's conception. I honestly think they look for the most incompetent people they can find, with the exception maybe for Rock from last season, he must have been a mistake.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

I watched the show and was shocked at the lack of quality of the cooks - I can't say chef. Man, do they pick the worse of the worse to see Gordon Ramsey flip out? I think the tossing the cookies thing was fake, personally. Wouldn't anyone have barfed after that combo of entree? I cannot believe the people that say "he (meaning Gordon Ramsey) don't know what he is doing/talking about". It's almost too painful...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I admit it. I love this show. Some of the sound bits had me howling. Jennifer saying something about the blonde Barbie with the big knockers.

I think Gordon let the wrong one go. Bobby (aka the black Gordon) was a coward who refused to help out his team. Some captain. OH I mean 4 star general. The dad with the Ken doll hair should have had a second chance.

I havent watched this show since the first season and I hated it.. However, I recently started watching his show on the BBC where he saves struggling restaurants..

At least he uses his ass-ocity to motivate people and to save peoples careers and financial lives..

I admit it.  I love this show.  Some of the sound bits had me howling.  Jennifer saying something about the blonde Barbie with the big knockers. 

I think Gordon let the wrong one go.  Bobby (aka the black Gordon) was a coward who refused to help out his team.  Some captain.  OH I mean 4 star general.  The dad with the Ken doll hair should have had a second chance.

Not that I can take any of this seriously, but I told my daughter during the break that Bobby should go. I also told her that there's no way because there's too much potentional for drama/stupidity there.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Just watched the first episode. Same old stuff, though a lot more spitting and throwing...The vomiting scene seemed extremely over-dramatized. Either he has a weak stomach or he's very good at spewing on command. Nonetheless, I'll continue to watch the slaughter unfold, unable to look away. I don't understand why I'm drawn to this show. :wink:

Well, the vomiting might not have been pre-planned (I think it was!), but Ramsay definitely had "spitting out food" planned. How convenient of him to have a garbage can nearby for spewing.

What a doof Exec Chef and "4-Star General" Bobby turned out to be! He should have been eliminated right off - for not reading the binders, first off, not bein g able to lead after virtually DEMANDING he be made captain, and for not once stepping in to help his team. The guy is a professional chef, after all - but obviously, a bigger professional blowhard. However, I suspect Ramsay is keeping him around for dramatic tension. So far, Louross, the black female line cook and the line cook-turned-receptionist are the only three out of fifteen who look like they have any kind of sense or backbone.

What's with the new opening? Ramsay, "The Lord of Darkness"? More like the Lord of Belligerent. Marco Pierre White could still probably take him down like a wounded gazelle, anyday. :cool:

I canNOT believe that idiot Bobby wasn't tossed off last night. I think

Ramsay's brain cells went on haitus. Keeping him around for more

glimpses into his stupidity is an insult to us viewers.

If I hear that beastly Joey say "I'm not gonna lose to a bunch of girls"

again . . . guess what, Dude?? You lost to a bunch of girls!!

Who gets prepared for opening night and doesn't have a clue what the

entrees are?!?!? DUH!

I can't believe I still watch this crap. :huh:

I'm pretty sure there is not a lobotomy procedure out there to remove the mental image of GR yacking into the trash can from my brain. He put that horrific mess into his mouth. He should have been made to suffer the food poisoning that followed.

I'm a stay at home parent, although I do write, so I had a warm fuzzy for the guy who looked like Eugene Levy was playing him on Hell's Kitchen.

Bobby needs to be sent home, but he has production value, so expect him to stick around.

This show is not about food. It's about trauma drama. Nothing wrong with that, but why even mention the food??

Blog.liedel.org

I have to say... if I were in one of these kitchens and Ramsay were yelling in my face like that, I just don't think I could prevent myself from punching him full in the face and choking the arrogant bluster right out of him. . .

. . . which, in consideration of the fact that jail time isn't high on my list of priorities, I suppose makes it a good thing I'll never be on a show like that.

I am a little surprised, though, that if he's really like that to people, no one has snapped and given him a good ass-kicking for his trouble.

--

I'm certain the contestants sign a waiver specifying that they will refrain from punching GR out, no matter what... and it also most likely stipulates that they cannot sue him for embarrassing them by verbally stomping them into the ground at every opportunity, thereby causing them mental/emotional anguish.

This year most of those signature dishes really looked nasty and I agree that this year's crop of masochists, errrrr, chefs, seems to be the worst ever but as others have mentioned, I can't stop watching!!!

Sandra