• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kit Kat Cake: Chocolate cream & chocolate frosting

Brigid Mary

I hate making topics on forums for fear of duplicating another post, but I need help. Search didn't turn up what I was looking for.

I'm making my friend a Kit Kat cake for her birthday. So far, my plan is chocolate cake, with chocolate cream filling and chocolate frosting. The cream filling will have crushed Kit Kat in it. The whole cake will have a Kit Kat border.

I'm looking for a chocolate cream filling like the one they use in a Kit Kat, or other chocolate wafer cookies. And I'm looking for frosting similar to the Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker already made frosting.( my favorite) Nothing dark chocolaty, since we're both milk chocolate fans. Any help is greatly appreciated!

For picture of the frosting I'm talking about, go here: http://www.aulsuperstore.com/images/products/44209-00446.jpg

And kit kats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_Kat

Edit: While you're here, feel free to post your favorite chocolate CAKE recipe as well. Not a fan of chocolate cake myself, since I feel like it has no flavor, but I've never made one that wasn't from a box.

Edited by Brigid Mary (log)

Have you considered Chef Michel Richard's Le Kit Cat? See here!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow, I've never seen that before! It looks delicious, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I don't want any peanut flavor in there, I wanted to go with a mainly chocolate/kit kat theme.

In case it helps, this is for a girl turning 16, so you can get an idea of what she would like to eat.

I've been stewing over this one all day. To me, a Kit Kat is a wafer cooking covered in milk chocolate. The filling is non-memorable - just some filling. And of course the bars stuck together. If I were doing this, knowing your recipient's age, I would probably make a chocolate dacquoise - very easy to make and would give a closer similarity to the texture. I consciously would avoid wafers since many people don't like them - except in Kit Kats. Then I would top the dacquoise with a cake just like you're talking with whatever filling inside, and of course cover the whole thing in chocolate frosting.

You know, if you bake it in a 9x13, freeze the cake, cut it into 4 longwase squared logs, trimming them to make them angled on the sids and a bit shorter than the 9 inches when re-assembled, put the four logs on the full 9x13 dacquoise...you will have the shape of a Kit Kat. Pipe on the Kit Kat logo on top. Did that make sense? That wouldn't be hard, and it would really fun.

I love the filling in the Kit Kat, though I could see how it could be a non-factor for others. I actually eat the chocolate off and then separate the wafer layers when eating a Kit Kat, but I'm weird, lol.

That being said, I'm a HUGE, HUGE fan of Toba Garrett's chocolate buttercream. You can find the recipe on epicurious.com

It has a few more steps than some might like, but it is so tasty. I sub more butter for the shortening in the recipe. I don't like powdered sugar based icings for the most part. I usually use Italian Meringue BC, unless it's a cream cheese icing, but this one is really good.

Edited by golfgirl1227 (log)

if you go to a Mexican market they sell the exact wafers you are looking for ..with out any filling ..unless you feel compelled to make it they are a perfect substitute for what you are trying to do

they are big wafer discs ..they are used to sandwich dulce de leche or cajeta ... really cheap and then make your own filling and frosting

good luck

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I'm sorry to say I have no idea what a dacquoise is, let alone how to pronounce it. :blush: Everyone here knows so much! I'd be afraid to make it because I've never tasted it, and I don't have much time for experimenting. I really love the idea of making it Kit Kat shaped. I think it would be a lot easier to serve, since other kids will be there. (I'm bringing it to a church youth group, to surprise her)

I think I must have phrased everything wrong. I don't plan on using wafers anywhere, just crushed Kit Kats. My idea is to have a 2 layer chocolate cake, with some sort of chocolate filling and crushed kit kats, then topping with chocolate frosting. I know it's simple, but I know she'll like it this way.

Golf Girl, Is THIS the recipe? It sounds delicious! If I did that, I wonder if I should make it the frosting as well as the filling. Or maybe frost it with that, then fill it some sort of mousse?

Thanks to everyone who replied!

HERE are three previous topics on dacquoise.

and HERE'S a pronunciation guide for pastry terms.

The reason I suggested using it (besides I think it would be good) is that they are very easy, hard to mess up (even if you've never had one), and fast.

And for the record, I had no idea what one was before I started on eGulllet.

rereading it you were very clear...it was me who misunderstood sorry (shoujld not post tired) nix the wafers ..(even though they taste exacty like the wafer in the candy bars!)

hope you cake turns out perfectly

your friend will enjoy your efforts I am sure

I would love to see a pic when you are done?

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

You can all hit me over the head for repeating myself but op maybe never read my suggestion. So Umm, the recipe on the Hershey's can of cocoa makes a dynamite user friendly cake and icing. I'd say just go light* on the measurements for the cocoa in the icing and you will really like it.

It's a nice easy next step out from box mixes into the risk taking of scratch baking. Tried & true.

*Like by light I mean, short the measuring cup just a bit.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Gfron, your cake idea sounds simply amazing. Looking at the Dacquoise posts, I think I understand what it is. It would certainly make a beautiful cake! I see how it would really resemble a Kit Kat, and I can almost imagine how it would taste.Part of me really wants to do this cake, my the other part of me, and my mom and my sister, think I should just do a regular cake, since I know she'll like that. I think I'll have to wait on this cake, but I may have to make it for myself in the future, since it sounds really awesome!

K8Memphis, I looked on the back of the can, and I see the recipe. I think I'll use this recipe because I have all the ingredients and it sounds yummy. The icing sounds delicious since it's very similar to my favorite scratch icing.

I have a chocolate buttercream recipe I recently I recently tried I think I'll use for the filling. It has a light chocolate flavor that I think will go nicely since everything else will be pretty chocolatly.

Thanks everyone!

Golf Girl, Is THIS the recipe? It sounds delicious! If I did that, I wonder if I should make it the frosting as well as the filling. Or maybe frost it with that, then fill it some sort of mousse?

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Yes, that would be it. Sorry I didn't add a link, not that tech savvy on this site yet, lol. I think you could use it for a filling and the icing, it's really good. It's not gritty like other PS icings.