• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oak Alley Plantation for a night

Sartain

My family (2 seniors, 4 adults, 2 kids, 12 and 6) are heading to NOLA next week for a week long stay. I've got our eating planned for the week while we are in town, but we are also going to Oak Alley for an overnight stay Thursday. While they have a restaurant on-site, it closes at 3.

So, all you good folks in the know, where should we eat that night? I appreciate your suggestions!

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

It's a good 40 miles (at least an hour drive) from Vacherie to Houma, where Christiano's is located. I'd suggest that you trek over to Hymel's in Convent, about 20 miles away. It's a family-run, old-fashioned place specializing in seafood (though I like the boiled beef dinner, too). Boiled crabs, fried shrimp, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Timh and HungryC for the suggestions. My family ended up trying to squeeze in as many plantation tours as we could in one day, and went from Nottoway to Houma House to Oak Alley. We had so much fun with the guide at Houma House that we stayed at Latil's Landing, the restaurant on site, for dinner. The food was very good.

They served boudin balls for an amuse - which are very reminiscent of arancinos (fried risotto balls) for the uninitiated. I had the jack rabbit and andouille gumbo, a file gumbo stock full of the meaty ingredients and rice that had a deep, rounded flavor. That was followed by a rack of lamb marinated and crusted in Community coffee, mashed potatoes and asparagus. Dessert we chose the house specialty of Bananas Foster, flambed tableside. The kids (and I) loved it.

But the crowning glory of the table goes to the Lobster and crawfish risotto, which was a bowl of savory/briny/creamy goodness. It's crawfish season, and they are succulent and beyond delicious. The lobsters were small in body but huge in flavor.

Anyway, if anyone's heading out that way, enjoy the house tour, but don't miss the risotto!

Edited by Sartain (log)

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy