• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dublin Pubs

I am going to Dublin for 2 days next week and would like to spend some time in one of the neighborhood pubs where I can drink Guiness for hours on end- are there any stand-outs that I should seek? Any help would be much appreciated!

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

I am going to Dublin for 2 days next week and would like to spend some time in one of the neighborhood pubs where I can drink Guiness for hours on end- are there any stand-outs that I should seek?  Any help would be much appreciated!

Slattery's on grand canal st, d4 is my local. It was built for drinking with dark corners, big windows, table service when needed and the place hasn't been touched in thirty years. It also has a terrific pint. It has a great local following. I couldn't recommend a better pub in Dublin. In the city centre Keogh's and Mc Daid's are great for a pint, both off grafton street. Anseo, Portobello St, is fun in the evenings, and Cassidys on Camden St isn't bad either.

One place that deserves an honorable mention is Kennedy's, just at the entrance to Tara St. station, which sells my favourite pint of Guinness in the city. It's a really old-school pub, small, quite dingy, ladies toilets a very recent addition, full of old men reading the Herald and watching the news on the TV in the corner. Once you're done there, pop around the corner to Mulligan's for what many others consider to be the best Guinness in the city, with a bit more life to boot. The Palace Bar, Kehoe's and the Long Hall deserve a look too.

You should probably put your head into Cafe en Seine to see the other side of the Dublin pub coin. Whatever you do don't buy any of their crazily overpriced drinks, but have a wander through some afternoon and marvel at the size and scale of the place. Then imagine what it's like when it's TOTALLY full on a Friday or Saturday night, and consider the amount of money that must change hands. All that thinking will work up a thirst, so pop around the corner to the Duke for a swift one.

Si

To balance these good southside suggestions, I would add the Cobblestone on Smithfield, especially for the trad night on Sundays, a great way to wind down after the weekend.

Apparently Mulligan's pints are so good becasue the cellars run under the Liffey, providing an ideal, constant temperature for the Guinness.

Thanks!!! I can't wait

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

• 4 months later...