• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So... Mexican at the Bagel Buffet?!

Rodalpho

Browsing around on seamlessweb this evening for dinner, I happened to notice that they had added the Bagel Buffet on 6th ave and 8th street. Back when I attended NYU in the 90s I used to go there all the time for seriously cheap, filling, and decent soup and bagels.

So I took a look, you know, to get that old nostalgia back, and noticed that they listed "mexican style" tacos, tortas, and burritos on the menu, filled with real-deal stuff like pollo asado, carnitas, cocina, etc. I figured I'd take a chance, since all the guys working there had always been bourdain's classic latinos from Puebla, and ordered a carnitas torta sandwich and a bistec taco, for a grand total of $7.70. It wasn't the best mexican food I've ever had by a long shot, not up to the quite tasty Pio Maya down the street, but it came out a bit less expensive.

Has anyone else discovered mexican food in unlikely places? Spill!