• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City Closings

Pangea is closed. I guess that was announced in the Pitch already, but I just noticed it the other day.

I hope Martin and Wendy are doing okay.

I feel awful... we've been so broke, and eating out is really not happening for us these days, but I know these talented folks need our patronage. At least we're moving back into the city (Hyde Park) from the boonies (south-east KC... the only decent grub I've found out here is an amazing Middle Eastern deli, behind the 7-Eleven at the corner of Bannister and James A. Reed).

I'm intrigued by the Middle Eastern deli. Does it have seating, or is it carry out only?

Pangea is closed. I guess that was announced in the Pitch already, but I just noticed it the other day.

I hope Martin and Wendy are doing okay.

I feel awful... we've been so broke, and eating out is really not happening for us these days, but I know these talented folks need our patronage. At least we're moving back into the city (Hyde Park) from the boonies (south-east KC... the only decent grub I've found out here is an amazing Middle Eastern deli, behind the 7-Eleven at the corner of Bannister and James A. Reed).

I'm intrigued by the Middle Eastern deli. Does it have seating, or is it carry out only?

I'm guessing it may be Olive Cafe & Bakery. Never made it out there myself, but I've been advised by a couple of local cabbies that they make the best pita in the area, and they said it was out toward Bannister. The owners of Olive opened the Gyro House or whatever it's called just across from Costco, so you can taste their food without in town without the long hike, thought the Linwood menu is pretty limited. Tasty though.

I'm also a fan of the Yummy's Choice guy who operates a lunchtime gyro and falafel stand at the new downtown Cosentino's market.

I'm also a fan of the Yummy's Choice guy who operates a lunchtime gyro and falafel stand at the new downtown Cosentino's market.

Kinda off the "closings" topic but interesting - I've been shopping there several times but haven't paid any attention to the MREs there. Although I've been underwhelmed by the Yummy tabouleh mix (but not surprisingly - how hard is it to make tabouleh to begin with, and how could dehydrated herbs replace fresh parsley and mint which are the point of tabouleh?) I'll give him a chance to wow me with 'real' food :wink: .

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I've been expecting this for some time . . . Seven is no longer.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I attempted to go to Boudreax's @ 106th and Mission for lunch today. Closed. Too bad, really good fried oyster po' boys, onion rings, and the only place in town I've had crawfish ceviche.

Bummer.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I'm guessing it may be Olive Cafe & Bakery.  Never made it out there myself, but I've been advised by a couple of local cabbies that they make the best pita in the area, and they said it was out toward Bannister. 

Yes, that's the name, and you are bang-on about the pita. The bakery is actually in a separate part of the little defunct strip mall it lives in, behind the 7-Eleven that faces Bannister at James A. Reed Rd.

There's both carry-out and a little bit of seating, plus a great little international market area you can wander whilst awaiting your falafels.

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

• 3 months later...

Not a "closing", but a telltale sign that things are not looking good.....just got a coupon book from Tuileries Plaza up on 45 Hwy, and Em Chamas has started "Stimulus Pricing" with full rodizio service for $24.99 every night (no coupon needed for that). That is quite a cut from their usual $36.99.

I don't know how it compares to the other all you can eat meat parlors in town, but I've been a few times and while it's not really my thing anymore, the quality of the food is good. If you live in the area or are just curious about these Rodizio joints that have been mulitplying over the past few years, the new pricing really is a deal.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011