• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City Closings

With the recent string of restaurant closings in the Kansas City area, I thought I'd make a companion (or counterpart) thread to "Kansas City Openings" started by our fearless leader, moosnsqrl.

In the last month, the following, to my knowledge, have closed:

The Grille on Broadway (formerly Boca Boca, formerly The Grille on Broadway)

40 Sardines

Scotty's on 39th

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

One more for the obit: Sarah's Eat Drink Art.

This makes me sad, given that it was locally-owned, and had a fine house salad, when it was done properly.

I have no information on what is going to happen with the space. I've heard a couple of things, but none confirmed.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

MelBee's IS SAYING GOOD BYE

It is with the deepest feelings that I thank all of you for your long and continued support. Because we have enjoyed your continued patronage, it is difficult to tell you we will close on Thursday, July 31.

This next Tuesday, July 15 will be our final wine dinner. We appreciate your generous donations for the Village Church Pantry and encourage you to continue to bring them in. On Thursday, the 24th we hope you will join us in honoring Christine Germann, the Pantry & Clothes Closet Director at our Christmas Eve in July Dinner.

During the remaining days we hope you will give us the opportunity to say good-bye personally.

Effective Monday, July 14, we will be open for dinner only Monday thru Saturdays.

MelBee's IS SAYING GOOD BYE

It is with the deepest feelings that I thank all of you for your long and continued support.  Because we have enjoyed your continued patronage, it is difficult to tell you we will close on Thursday, July 31. 

This next Tuesday, July 15 will be our final wine dinner.  We appreciate your generous donations for the Village Church Pantry and encourage you to continue to bring them in.  On Thursday, the 24th we hope you will join us in honoring Christine Germann, the Pantry & Clothes Closet Director at our Christmas Eve in July Dinner.

During the remaining days we hope you will give us the opportunity to say good-bye personally.

Effective Monday, July 14, we will be open for dinner only Monday thru Saturdays.

I am so very sorry to hear that. Loyd, if that's you, thanks for some good meals and great times! :sad:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I am so very sorry to hear that.  Loyd, if that's you, thanks for some good meals and great times! :sad:

If that was directed towards me, I'm not Loyd.

I just copied and pasted from an email I got today.

Edited by kendix (log)

That is too bad.

And, if my unconfirmed sources are correct, there are two other restaurants in Kansas City who may be posting similar messages soon. :sad:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I am so very sorry to hear that.  Loyd, if that's you, thanks for some good meals and great times! :sad:

If that was directed towards me, I'm not Loyd.

I just copied and pasted from an email I got today.

Ah, I see, and lest I add insult to injury, it's Lloyd.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

And, if my unconfirmed sources are correct, there are two other restaurants in Kansas City who may be posting similar messages soon.  :sad:

Two other good restaurants, bad restaurants, or in between.

Swizzle is closing. I never made it there.

I'll assume that your first sentence was a question and not a statement: I can't say, I've not been to either of them.

As to your second sentence: I've heard they're temporarily closing to retool and regroup. I understand that the (same) management will re-open it under a different brand and build.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'll assume that your first sentence was a question and not a statement: I can't say, I've not been to either of them. 

As to your second sentence: I've heard they're temporarily closing to retool and regroup.  I understand that the (same) management will re-open it under a different brand and build.

Yep, a question, sorry. Stupid punctuation.

Hopefully the "new Swizzle" will work out. There's been a lot of closure lately. Of course, a fair amount of opening too. Even though I wasn't crazy about MelBee's food, it was great to have someplace like that walkable in my neighborhood. The closing I've been most bummed about to date.

As to your second sentence: I've heard they're temporarily closing to retool and regroup.  I understand that the (same) management will re-open it under a different brand and build.

Yep, a question, sorry. Stupid punctuation.

Hopefully the "new Swizzle" will work out. There's been a lot of closure lately. Of course, a fair amount of opening too. Even though I wasn't crazy about MelBee's food, it was great to have someplace like that walkable in my neighborhood. The closing I've been most bummed about to date.

Um, I think you mean "punctuation, Stupid!" :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

• 3 weeks later...

I just heard (unofficially but from a good source) that Bella on 39th street will be either closing or drastically changing their concept. I never got in there for dinner (they're always closed when I'm off), but I really liked what they were trying to do. If what I've heard is true, there is a new owner or new partner who wants to make it less of a restaurant and more of a bar. And a sports bar at that. :angry:

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

I just heard (unofficially but from a good source) that Bella on 39th street will be either closing or drastically changing their concept.  I never got in there for dinner (they're always closed when I'm off), but I really liked what they were trying to do.  If what I've heard is true, there is a new owner or new partner who wants to make it less of a restaurant and more of a bar.  And a sports bar at that.  :angry:

Good idea, bad exacution!!!

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

I just heard (unofficially but from a good source) that Bella on 39th street will be either closing or drastically changing their concept.  I never got in there for dinner (they're always closed when I'm off), but I really liked what they were trying to do.  If what I've heard is true, there is a new owner or new partner who wants to make it less of a restaurant and more of a bar.  And a sports bar at that.  :angry:

Wow, that was fast. I nearly stopped there for lunch yesterday, until I realized I didn't have my wallet.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hey, gang.... sorry I've been AWOL so long. And especially sorry that my first post back is more bad news.

Dennis Kaniger's Noodle Shop on 59th transformed into a mortgage company overnight a few weeks ago.

What a drag. I really miss the glory days at Venue. Here is a picture of me when I was cooking there in 1992..

gallery_25747_6417_426227.jpg

The KC Star reported this morning that Joe D's in Brookside closed.

That's sad, I remember when he opened, must have been about '87. Heck I remember going there when it was the Monastery!

I loved the Monastery as well as The Grape, which a friend opened in Wichita as kind of an hommage to The Monastery. I hadn't visited JoeD's in years but had one of my all-time favorite dishes there back on the 80s. Sigh.

M.F.K. Fisher

I loved the Monastery as well as The Grape, which a friend opened in Wichita as kind of an hommage to The Monastery. I hadn't visited JoeD's in years but had one of my all-time favorite dishes there back on the 80s. Sigh.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 5 weeks later...

Pangea is closed. I guess that was announced in the Pitch already, but I just noticed it the other day.

I hope Martin and Wendy are doing okay.

I feel awful... we've been so broke, and eating out is really not happening for us these days, but I know these talented folks need our patronage. At least we're moving back into the city (Hyde Park) from the boonies (south-east KC... the only decent grub I've found out here is an amazing Middle Eastern deli, behind the 7-Eleven at the corner of Bannister and James A. Reed).

Come visit my virtual kitchen.