• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pike Place Market for non-tourists

Thanks for all the replies! We just moved in a couple of days ago and I went to check out Pike Place Market this morning. My first observation is you must all be really fit! I've been exploring the neighborhood by foot and even the relatively flat streets would be considered hills in other places. I've had to climb up the waterfront-to-downtown steps in our apartment complex twice now (Harbor Steps) in as many days, and all I have to say is I'm going to have legs of steel by the end of the summer.

My parents helped us move in and stocked the fridge with some fresh meat and produce so my trip today was more to explore, but I'm excited for what's to come. Our furnished apartment came with the crappiest knives I've ever used, and after almost impaling myself while hacking away at a watermelon I decided the first order of business was to pick up a cheap but decent knife for the summer. For the very fair price of $30 at Seattle Cutlery, I got a Forschner Chef's Knife. The sales people were quite friendly, too. Actually, everyone around here is friendly. It sort of weirds me out. I'm going to have to get used to chatting with random folks.

Oh actually, I forget. I suppose my very first order of business was to pick up donuts at Daily Dozen Donuts. Those cinnamon sugar donuts fresh out of the fryer were sublime. The other donuts were fine, but freshness does make a huge difference in this case. Next time I'm just going to get whatever is coming out of the fryer immediately, instead of a variety.

Our next stop was World Spice. In a word: Wow. Incredible selection and super fresh. The whole spices are ground (if requested) when you buy them. When I opened my backpack at home, the smell practically bowled me over. And it was cheap.

They didn't have saffron, however, so I wandered over to the Spanish Table. Very interesting selection of things that can be hard to find.

Then we spent some time wandering in the lower levels. Around lunchtime, we came back up and ordered from the counter at Jack's Fish Spot. I liked the cod in my fish and chips, but found the fries to be too soggy. There was some good looking cioppino floating around that I'll have to try some other time though. And the counter guy likes to flirt with the ladies too, which adds to the experience. No fishy smell from the counter, always a good sign, and reasonable prices. I was actually really surprised about this. I thought for sure the seafood would be marked up like crazy.

Picked up some tasty cheese for later at Beecher's. And apparently there's a cheese festival this weekend to look forward to.

Overall, the prices at the market seemed pretty fair, given their location and the fact that they have so many tourists. Well, some items I checked out did make me raise my eyebrows quite a bit, but I also saw plenty of stuff within "everyday" range. Pleasant surprise.

Last time I asked about saffron at World Spice they told me that the only saffron that meets their standards is from Iran, and if they can't get it (which they usually can't), they don't carry it. It seems like it would be worth their while to carry a kind they like almost as well...

• 1 month later...
Just saw an update that the new Kress grocery store on 3rd between Pike & Union is scheduled to open in June.

This is opening Wednesday, June 18 at 7 A.M.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Just saw an update that the new Kress grocery store on 3rd between Pike & Union is scheduled to open in June.

This is opening Wednesday, June 18 at 7 A.M.

I walked by this morning. You can see the produce section from the entrance, but you can't get in because they are still working to get the escalators going. There is a sign saying they hope to open later today.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I walked by this morning.  You can see the produce section from the entrance, but you can't get in because they are still working to get the escalators going.  There is a sign saying they hope to open later today.

Went in this morning. It looks like they'll have a good lunch crowd with their deli and salad bar. It reminded me of the Treasure Island groceries back in Chicago where they are in the basements of condos.

They have a good selection of just about everything you need in an emergency. ...no unique brands or products that'll make me think of going there first.

I'll have to wait to see how the prices compare. I bought a package of bacon for $2.50 a pound. It's a grand opening special. Cornish hen was $4.50, 6 oz tomato paste 80¢. They had Alki Bakery and Grand Central breads...

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera