• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickles with Barbecue

Ndy

I've been wondering this for awhile. When I visit pretty much any barbecue joint here in Kansas City I always receive a small pile of pickles with my meal. Does anyone know the origin or the reason for this practice? I always eat them, but they never cease to puzzle me.

Edited by Ndy (log)

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Because it really really tastes good! There's something about pickles, raw onions and barbecue that taste so incredibly good. To me, it's the texbook definition of "more than a sum of its parts". Why coleslaw? Same reason. I think because it cuts the richness, too. Ya gotta eat something on the side, and pickles work.

Why do any two foods go together? Why peanut butter and jelly?

Edited by Lilija (log)

Because it really really tastes good!  There's something about pickles, raw onions and barbecue that taste so incredibly good.  To me, it's the texbook definition of "more than a sum of its parts".  Why coleslaw?  Same reason. I think because it cuts the richness, too.  Ya gotta eat something on the side, and pickles work.

Why do any two foods go together?  Why peanut butter and jelly?

I agree. I was just curious if there was some other significance to it.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

I've been wondering this for awhile. When I visit pretty much any barbecue joint here in Kansas City I always receive a small pile of pickles with my meal. Does anyone know the origin or the reason for this practice? I always eat them, but they never cease to puzzle me.

it's because pickles and barbeque go together like champagne and doggy-style

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

it's because pickles and barbeque go together like champagne and doggy-style

ns

Can't argue with that logic :cool:

Pickles go well with barbecue because they make a good contrast with barbecue. While BBQ is hot, pickles are cool; while 'cue is rich, pickles are acidic; while the meat is tender, pickles are crispy and tender. Add in barbecue sauce and you get another contrast, between sweet sauce and sour pickles. Those contrasts are the genius of the combination.

When you speak of BBQ, usually you are talking about pork. Most pork is commanly served with an acidic partner to cut the richness. Sausages & mustard, pork roast and sauerkraut, pork chops and applesauce, etc. BBQ and pickles seem like just another such pairing.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• Similar Content

• By SobaAddict70
      I LOVE pickled ginger. In fact, in some instances, moreso than sushi or sashimi itself. When I was first introduced to sushi, it was my least favorite part of a sushi meal. Now it's the opposite.
      Besides sushi/sashimi, what other uses for pickled ginger are there? And how do you make your own? What goes in the pickling solution? Fresh pickled ginger (not premade) is undyed and a pale beige in color, whereas the premade version is a slight tawny pink.
      Any suggestions?
      Soba
    • By Smarmotron
      What sorts of mustards do you like? The type of mustard I like is pungent without a hint of sweetness (fie upon honey mustards), but not too vinegary. Inglehoffer's Stone Ground tends to be rather good, but it's got a little too much vinegar (overpowers the taste of the mustard). What sorts of mustards do you like? Any brands? Or do you make your own?
    • By Eldictator
      Any ideas on how I could put a honey centre in a jelly pastille
    • By Keith Orr
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce (Habenero Hot Sauce)
      I thought I'd submit my recipe which is a clone of a locally available sauce here in Portland OR called Secret Aardvark Sauce.
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce
      1 – 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes or roasted tomatoes chopped - include the juice
      1 – 14.5 oz of rice wine vinegar. Use the now empty tomato can to measure
      1-1/2 cups of peeled and grated carrots (packed into the measuring cup)
      1 cup of finely diced white onion
      1/4 cup of yellow mustard
      1/3 cup of sugar
      2 teaspoons of Morton’s Kosher Salt
      1 teaspoon of black pepper
      13 small Habaneros – seeded and membranes removed. (This was 2 oz. of Habaneros before cutting off the tops and removing the seeds and membranes)
      2 teaspoons curry powder
      1 cup of water when cooking
      5 or 6 cloves of garlic - roasted if you've got it
      Put it all in the crockpot on high until everything is tender. About 3 hours  Note: I used the crockpot so I don't have to worry about scorching it while it cooks. 
      Whirl in food processor – Don’t puree until smooth – make it lightly/finely chunky.
      Makes 3 pints - To can process pint jars in a water bath canner for 15 minutes
      I've thought about making this with peaches or mangoes too, but haven't tried it yet.

Edited for clarity on 11/9/2020

Keywords: Hot and Spicy, Carribean, Condiment, Sauce, Easy, Food Processor
      ( RG2003 )
    • By Sheel
      Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. 
      For the balchao paste you will need:
      > 8-10 kashmiri red chillies
      > 4-5 Byadagi red chillies
      > 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
      > 1/2 tsk turmeric powder 
      > 1 tsp peppercorn
      > 6 garlic cloves
      > 1/2 tsp cloves
      > 1 inch cinnamon stick
      > Vinegar 
      First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.