• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Aruba and as a chef

Please if you know about the island and have been there need some tips.  I a chef that loves to explore other customs, but not to have to worry about survival - anyways - ideas would be great...g

Rijsttafel. Seek it out; it is very interesting.

Aruba is very Americanized. If you have time, take the very short plane ride to Curacao. Much more Dutch and local influenced. Iguana soup is one of the local dishes and aside from food, the diving is awesome.

It's been a long time since I've been there but I also remember it's where I had my first taste of grass-fed Argentinian beef.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

• 2 months later...
Please if you know about the island and have been there need some tips.  I a chef that loves to explore other customs, but not to have to worry about survival - anyways - ideas would be great...g

Rijsttafel. Seek it out; it is very interesting.

Aruba is very Americanized. If you have time, take the very short plane ride to Curacao. Much more Dutch and local influenced. Iguana soup is one of the local dishes and aside from food, the diving is awesome.

I'm slow to respond, but I spent a week diving in Curacao and loved it. There was a fish shack down the beach from our hotel (Lions's Dive and Beach Resort) that had the best pan broiled snapper I've ever had. Curacao is also the home of Amstel Light.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

• 1 year later...

A couple of years later, but a similar request ... we're going to Curacao, 9 days, want to go with local cuisine. Guidebooks for the ABC Islands haven't been that good, mostly focusing on Aruba and mostly focusing on diving and shopping.

Understand that in addition to seafood, fish, goat and iguana are popular meats and there is Sephardic Jewish food tradition, as well as the Dutch/Indonesian Rijsttafel.

If anyone has specific dish recommendations and/or restaurant recommendations, I'll plan to photograph and write up our trip there ... and acknowledge all sources!!

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

JasonZ

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK