• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekday AM Philly eats?

VivreManger

I will be arriving at the Philly international airport at 8:30 and should be at the University by 11:30 AM. I need to find somethings interesting to eat. I have no fixed ideas about what should and should not be eaten before noon, but I don't drink coffee so the quality of the local java does not matter. Though I don't object to it, I don't need a traditional breakfast. So a pork sandwich or cheesesteak from John's would be fine. They open early enough so I could place an order at 215-463-1951 when I arrive at the airport and get off 95 to collect it before heading elsewhere. What exit off I-95 is closest to 14 E. SNYDER AVENUE - SOUTH PHILADELPHIA (ACROSS FROM SNYDER PLAZA)? How far is that from the airport?

I think that Steve's Prince of Steaks, on Bustleton Ave, south of Cottman in NE Philly would be out of the way, though I much prefer sliced steak to chopped and a crispier roll sounds appealing.

The Reading Terminal Mrkt. has the most options in a concentrated space. Most of the places will be open at 9:00 so I could wander around, checking out the options before eating. However it seems that food shops don't actually start serving food until later. Another possibility are the Italian delis of south Philly, SARCONE'S DELI, George's, Vinny Amato's, DiBruno's and Claudio's. Then there is Chinatown which I have enjoyed in the past. Unless there is something spectacular going on there, my inclination is to go Italian or Reading Mrkt, with maybe that pitstop on the way into town for a cheesesteak if time and tummy allow.

Some of the RTM recs I have seen in past years are scrapple as the breakfast side dish (Down Home Diner or the Dutch Eating Place); Tommy DiNic's for roast pork (how does it compare to John's?); Salumeria for hoagies (with house dressing and artichokes), Pizza by George, Nanee's Kitchen (for Pakistani), 12th Street Cantina, Delilah's (for chicken), or maybe a bowl of duck or roast pork soup with noodle at Sang Kee.

Any updates, additions, or other suggestions for this list? I would be particularly grateful for any warnings about what to avoid.

Generally my experience with these multi-ethnic food courts is that the quality is not as good as what you would find in the original ethnic neighborhood. Thus DiNic's and Salumeria would not be as good as Sarcone's for example. And Sang Kee at RTM would not be as good as Sang Kee Peking Duck, on 238 N. 9th St. Any comments on that observation?

If you're arriving on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, the Amish places at the RTM will be closed (Dutch Eating Place). However, the Down Home Diner will be open in the morning, and it's a good place for a traditional breakfast with scrapple on the side, if you should be so inclined. Hershel's Deli will also be open in the morning if a lox 'n bagel or plate (whitefish and whitefish salad, too) is up your ally. My guess is that by 10 or so they'll also have brisket, corned beef, pastrami and other meats ready for sandwiches. Spataro's would also be open for breakfast; nothing special, but reliable, cheap eats. You could also get a savory focaccio at Metropolitan Bakery or croissant, sweet roll, etc. LeBus would also have baked goods ready in the morning. It's possible Tommy DiNic's night have their pork ready by 10 a.m., but I'm not sure.

All in all, I think the RTM would be your best bet for finding something in the morning. I don't think you'd be able to get a sandwich at Sarcone's that early, though you could get slices of pizza (baked in rectangular pans) at that hour at their bakery down the street from the deli. George's at 9th and Washington nearby might also have pork, beef or tripe sandwiches ready for serving by then.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Thanks for the quick recs.

It's a Tuesday so scrap the scrapple at the Dutch Eating Place. Down Home has gotten some knocks recently for inconsistency so I may want to avoid it.

I think that John's opens at 6:30 AM. Would they have their full range of sandwiches by about 8:45 or so?

Am I right in thinking it would be an easy off and on from I-95 on my way in from the airport?

I've been to the Down Home Diner three times in March, and never experienced any service problems. Those "knocks", if you look at them, are based on old visits, at least those I've seen on eGullet. There used to be occasional service problems, but these reports are old and out of date. Under Jordan Shapiro's day-to-day management for the past year I've found service has been spot-on. For breakfast (which is the only time I've been there in recent months), the plates come out of the kitchen within minutes, and the service has been friendly and efficient. And the food is as good as it's ever been. Do not let those few old, out of date complaints you've seen stop you from enjoying the hearty breakfast there. My favorite is the biscuits, sausage and saw mill gravy (white gravy), served with stewed apples. But the pancakes are always good, and the eggs reliably made. And be sure to get that scrapple! A lot of folks put ketchup on it, but syrup is better; I tend to eat mine unadorned.

Correction: George's is on 9th near Christian, not Washington as I reported earlier.

I don't know whether or not John's would have the pork ready by 830; I imagine it's more of an egg-sausage-on-roll kind of traffic at that hour.

Robert's Market Report

I've never been to John's that early in the day, so I'm not sure what they are making at that hour, but I'm sure you could get a tasty sandwich of some sort. Whatever it is, you don't need to call ahead for it, they're all made pretty quickly, and are best straight off the grill. You don't really want your sandwich made ahead of time, waiting for you.

As for the quality of the food in the Reading Terminal vs the home neighborhoods, I'm not sure any generalizations are safe to make. Sang Kee in the Terminal is not as good as the one in CHinatown, even though they're only separated by a few blocks. But DiNic's is DiNic's, not a pale imitation of anything else, and I think one could easily make a case for their pork sandwiches being as good or better than any in town. Same with Salumeria: they're different from the other hoagie places, but they're not some food-court-simulation, they're quite good, in their own way.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Am I right in thinking it would be an easy off and on from I-95 on my way in from the airport?

yes.

From the south, I always take the Walt Whitman exit, follow the signs for Oregon, make a right on Oregon and a left on Vandalla after you cross back under the 95 overpass. That street is basically the back side of Ikea and Lowe's. John's is at the corner of Vandalla and Snyder.

The gmap hack pedometer shows the route. Though OT, I saw the pedometer at a MoMA exhibition last month. For all you urban walkers and joggers, it's a great tool for calculating distances.

Edited by cinghiale (log)

It's possible Tommy DiNic's night have their pork ready by 10 a.m., but I'm not sure.

All in all, I think the RTM would be your best bet for finding something in the morning.

DiNic's definitely has options available on the early side, although definitely no brisket or greens. My vote would be for you to check out the Reading Terminal...there's just so much to see and do...and finish up your visit with a DiNic's sandwich, yum!

Same with Salumeria: they're different from the other hoagie places,  but they're not some food-court-simulation, they're quite good, in their own way.

Alas, Salumeria won't make hoagies until 11 a.m. But they make a great hoagie, very different in style from many others in town. Get a prosciutto or Italian with house dressing and marinated artichokes (extra charge for the artichokes).

Robert's Market Report

yes.

From the south, I always take the Walt Whitman exit, follow the signs for Oregon, make a right on Oregon and a left on Vandalla after you cross back under the 95 overpass. That street is basically the back side of Ikea and Lowe's. John's is at the corner of Vandalla and Snyder.

The gmap hack pedometer shows the route. Though OT, I saw the pedometer at a MoMA exhibition last month. For all you urban walkers and joggers, it's a great tool for calculating distances.

Regular Google Maps does not even acknowledge the existence of Vandalla Street, so I wonder if it's well-marked? It might be, but it could also be worth knowing that a left on Swanson, rather than Vandalla would get you there too.

The Google directions from the airport recommend taking 95 north to the Washington Ave exit, then making a right on Columbus Blvd, then a right on Swanson, to Snyder.

I can imagine that the right on Swanson might be hard to see, so it would be even simpler to go:

95 north to Washington Avenue exit. Turn right on Columbus Blvd. Turn right on Snyder (near the IKEA) . It's about a block up Snyder.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Well, maybe it's not Vandalla, but it's the left behind the Ikea, where the City impound lot is. Sure, take Washington, or the Platt Bridge, or whatever. Just trying to recommend the quickest -- and fairly easily negotiable -- route.

yes.

Regular Google Maps does not even acknowledge the existence of Vandalla Street, so I wonder if it's well-marked? It might be, but it could also be worth knowing that a left on Swanson, rather than Vandalla would get you there too.

The Google directions from the airport recommend taking 95 north to the Washington Ave exit, then making a right on Columbus Blvd, then a right on Swanson, to Snyder.

I can imagine that the right on Swanson might be hard to see, so it would be even simpler to go:

95 north to Washington Avenue exit. Turn right on Columbus Blvd. Turn right on Snyder (near the IKEA) . It's about a block up Snyder.

true, and i always miss vandalla, and end up hanging a left on weccacoe.

Since John's opens around 6:45 and closes around 2:30 - 3 I have some optimism that by 9:00 or so they will have more than just sausage rolls ready to eat. Moreover that would still give me time to hit the Reading Market for the second snack of the day. If DiNic's has its stove up early enough perhaps I can compare pork sandwiches from both of them.

Any seconds on Talk of the Town? I gather it is not too far from John's. However they don't open until 10:00 AM so the timing is a bit off. On the other hand I might be able to swing by there on my way back to the airport later in the day.

One of the reasons I want to try the sliced (as opposed to chopped) steak is that it seems similar to the steak & mushroom sandwiches of my youth in Providence. Today there is only one place there still making them, Chelo's. But when I was a kid there were at least two or three others that perfected the thin-sliced rib steak sandwich in a torpedo roll with sauted mushrooms.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

One of the reasons I want to try the sliced (as opposed to chopped) steak is that it seems similar to the steak & mushroom sandwiches of my youth in Providence.
Are you expecting a sliced steak at John's? IIRC, they're chopped.