• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More Jersey Dogs

Holly Moore

Within the commercial kitchen world what you refer to as a griddle is called a grill. Back in the good old days McD's had a 6' Wolf Grill and grilled their hamburgers. There are also grills that replicate backyard grilling, as in "char-grilled" hamburgers.

As to where I ended up - good eating but disappointing capacity. Jersey Joe's and Jimmy Buff's. Also on the list, but I was to full to fairly taste - the new Amazing Hot Dog, Bubba's and one other that I can't think of right now.

I shall return.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Within the commercial kitchen world what you refer to as a griddle is called a grill.  Back in the good old days McD's had a 6' Wolf Grill and grilled their hamburgers.  There are also grills that replicate backyard grilling, as in "char-grilled" hamburgers.

And therein lies a hornets' nest of confusion & misleading advertising & frustrated expectations.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

how can one go to Jersey and not eat Rutt's Hut?

Holly has been there already; it's on the home page when you click on the link he provided.

Speaking personally, for the first 30+ years that I lived in NNJ, I never went to RH. I went last year, and now I never need to go again! My 'research' since that visit tells me that for most people, it's about the nostalgia of the place, NOT THE FOOD.

YMMV, but that's my opinion! Just. Don't. Get it. :unsure:

Yeah, I'm sorry but Rutt's Hutt was too much grease for me.

If you are a diehard grilled-dog lover, New Jersey is slim-pickens.  Other than the ubiquitous Nathan's chain mall places, (ugh) a grilled dog is a rarity in these parts.  We need a Katz's!

Irving's on Rte 10 in Livingston IS the new Katz's, hot dogs & all!

If you are a diehard grilled-dog lover, New Jersey is slim-pickens.  Other than the ubiquitous Nathan's chain mall places, (ugh) a grilled dog is a rarity in these parts.  We need a Katz's!

Irving's on Rte 10 in Livingston IS the new Katz's, hot dogs & all!

If you are going to Irving's -- the hot dog is an appetizer or a side dish to the hand-cut pastrami sandwich (yes, ala Katz's), LOL.

Eric