• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More Jersey Dogs

Holly Moore

Looks like tomorrow I'll be venturing into Jersey in pursuit of Hot Dogs.

On my list so far, Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover and Jersey Joe's in Port Monmouth.

Anybody know Bubba's Doghouse in Lyndhurst?

What other great dogs are missing from my list?

Any grease stain worthy non hot dog recs? Can always use a great non-gourmet hamburger. Fresh Cut Fries. Onion Rings.

John I need you!!!

Here's where I've been so far.

Jersey Dogs at HollyEats.Com

Thank ya all.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Holly,

Check this link: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=113208 for posts on Bubba's. I'm glad you are coming back to Jersey! Bubba's and Jimmy Buff's are 2 of the only 3 places I know of (Seymours in Livingston is the 3rd) that serves the Syd's dog. Bubba's prepares it on a charcoal grill, and it tastes like Syd's. Jimmy Buff's, in my opinion, is Jersey's premier hot dog joint. Their take on the Syd's dog is that it is sauteed in oil and then char grilled. Excellent! Even better than Syd's. Seynours splits and griddles their dogs. Good, but not as good as Bubba's or Jimmy Buff's.

They also serve a top notch Italian Hot Dog. Remember Max's? Jimmy Buff's uses the same Schickhaus frank, but in addition to griddle frying it like Max's, they finish it off on the charcoal grill. Don't forget to sample their chili, which is best described as bolognese style. Unique, and very good. Their regular 8 to a pound dog is sauteed in oil (in their slanted steel pit) and is what I consider the best deep fried dog in the state. This particular location was recently featured on the Travel Channel's Hot Dog Paradise program.

I would also recommend Pappy's Diner in Totowa. They serve a typical north Jersey "Hot" Texas Weiner featuring the Thumann's deep fryer (used at Rutt's Hutt) with a tangy, zesty chili that perfectly complements this dog.

I also think that the Galloping Hill Inn would be worth a second trip. But I suggest having their dog with just their special Dusseldorf mustard and not their chili. It's a great German style dog.

Enjoy your trip to Jersey! I'm already looking forward to your reviews.

John the hot dog guy

I didn't have a great experience at Bubba's, but ymmv; I'll be curious to hear what you think if you get there.

I know you've been to Amazing Hot Dog at their original location (Verona), but they're now open in Bound Brook as well, so if you're in that vicinity, it's always worth a trip, imo! Get some ONION RINGS if you go. :wink:

Enjoy your trip 'up north'!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Mmmm AHD Onion rings

gallery_23695_426_98076.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I live two blocks from Bubba's, and we have lunch their every week or so. I did participate in John's thread though.

I was there today, and Bubba's wife was telling that this summer they are planning to get Boylan's root beer on tap and offer up root beer floats.

Like Curlz, I am not going to offer my opinion up front, but I am dying to know how many grease stains Holly hands out. :)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Jimmy Buff's uses the same Schickhaus frank, but in addition to griddle frying it like Max's, they finish it off on the charcoal grill.

I thought jimmy buff's used a Best's Frank?

how can one go to Jersey and not eat Rutt's Hut?

how can one go to Jersey and not eat Rutt's Hut?

Holly has been there already; it's on the home page when you click on the link he provided.

Speaking personally, for the first 30+ years that I lived in NNJ, I never went to RH. I went last year, and now I never need to go again! My 'research' since that visit tells me that for most people, it's about the nostalgia of the place, NOT THE FOOD.

YMMV, but that's my opinion! Just. Don't. Get it. :unsure:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

My hub likes Hot Rod's on rt 31 in Glen Gardner (Hunterdon County)

Of course, my fav is Hot Dog Johnny's. Our relatives time leaving and arriving at our house around the hours that HDJ's is open!

Of course the fact that it's in Buttsville has a lot to do with why the kids love it.....

Edited by zoe b (log)

Jimmy Buff's uses the same Schickhaus frank, but in addition to griddle frying it like Max's, they finish it off on the charcoal grill.

I thought jimmy buff's used a Best's Frank?

Jimmy Buff's uses skinless Best's franks for their Italian Hot Dogs, natural casing 5 to a lb Best's franks (the Syd's dog) for their footlong, and a 4 to a lb Shickhaus for their quarter pounder.

John the hot dog guy

My 'research' since that visit tells me that for most people, it's about the nostalgia of the place, NOT THE FOOD. 

YMMV, but that's my opinion!  Just. Don't. Get it. :unsure:

While I do think Rutts Hutt has great dogs, I admit that I cannot separate the taste from the nostalgia. When I was really young, about 40 years ago, my dad used to take me to lunch here once a week, and those were great memories. :)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Different likes and dislikes. If you are in Lyndhurst and you are on a hot dog tour, you can't not go to Rutt's -- unless of course you've been there before and just hate it.

Of all the great hot dog joints in NJ, I've never went to one that I completely disliked. I've liked some better than others (Callahan's better than Hiram's just for example), but I've never totally disliked or hated one of them. You like beef and hate port, or the other way around, and so on and so on.

Anyway, great thread.

Eric

While I do think Rutts Hutt has great dogs, I admit that I cannot separate the taste from the nostalgia. When I was really young, about 40 years ago, my dad used to take me to lunch here once a week, and those were great memories. :)

A perfect example of many of the stories I've heard! :smile:

Well, I can see that about Rutts. When I was in high school, nothing was better than Johnny and Hanges, in Paterson. After the move, not so swell. I have a personal favorite, with Riverview East, in Elmwood Park, but that's just me.

After 4 months of working with the daughter of one of the original Johnny and Hanges owners I finally straight out asked about the sauce recipe.... She says she doent know it....but sure agreed that they changed it :sad:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Menton1,

I love dogs prepared different ways; in water, deep fried, and grilled. But if I had to pick one method of cooking, it would be grilled. Jersey does have some good places. The three that serve the Syd's dog, Nathan's in Menlo Park, Papaya King, Boulevard Drinks, Father & Son, 5 Guys, etc. Not to mention those that grill a beef and pork dog. Many of the Plainfield area Texas Weiner joints (that grill rather than deep fry), Galloping Hill Inn, Max's, Windmill, Karl Ehmer's, WeeNee Wagon, and others.

Edited by John (log)

John the hot dog guy

That's true, John. But I am up in Bergen, so these places are an excursion.

The Papaya King is not too far, but that one in Jersey is one weird place. I never see anyone in there when I have gone, so who knows how long that place can carry on...

The Papaya King is not too far, but that one in Jersey is one weird place.  I never see anyone in there when I have gone, so who knows how long that place can carry on...

Interesting you'd say that, menton...the day I was there, the place was really busy and they couldn't handle the crowd! We stood around waiting for our dogs, and I have to be honest...I was thoroughly unimpressed. Then again, I'm not a hot dog fanatic. I thought they were dull, the roll was terrible, and I didn't even like the shake! Maybe I'm missing something!

Papaya King has a new owner. The last time I spoke to the previous owner, he told me that business wasn't as good as he had hoped. I don't know why; they seem to be in a good location. Their dogs were overpriced, $1.99 for a small 10 to a lb dog. This is even more expensive than Manhattan. I hear that they are 99 cents after 4:30. I've also heard that under new ownership the dogs are inconsistent and sometimes the rolls are stale.

Curlz, you may not be a hot dog fanatic, but you've been to a lot of places and speak from experience. I enjoy your posts.

John the hot dog guy

We had a nostalgia food thread not long ago and now I can't find it. I bit into pure nostalgia at my local farmer's co-op on Saturday morning. A boiled Oscar Mayer on a soft roll with store mustard. I know, I know. But it came with brownies and benefited the 4H troop.

Anyway, it hit the spot like no other dog has done in a long time. I guess I'm a dirty (water) girl. :laugh: The weirdest part is that on the way home I started daydreaming about buying more hot dogs and what kind and I meandered off onto potato buns and I was just to the point of gently toasting them with butter when my husband rudely interrupted me to stop at the farmer's market to see if they had any new potatos. Hamster food freak! :laugh:

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

So Holly, where did you end up?

Some folks in this topic have been using the term "grilled" when I think they must mean "griddled".

A grill is usually what you place food on over charcoal or perhaps gas; it might even be a "grill pan" in which parts of the pan, in an even pattern, are raised above the surface level to impart "grill marks" and allow fat to drain.

A griddle is a flat sheet of metal heated from underneath. You can place one on top of a grill, but then whatever is cooked on it is "griddled" not "grilled".

Grilling is akin to broiling, the difference being the heat comes from the bottom in grilloing, the top in broling.. Griddling is akin to cooking in a pan on a stove.

FWIW, I like my hot dogs either way, though I also like some just plain boiled.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report