• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Algarve Restaurant Rec's

Does anyone have any good restaurant recommendations for the Algarve? I couldn't find much mentioned in past thread searches... I'm not going until June (staying in Vilamoura) but it's cold and rainy in London, so I'm already looking ahead to summer!

Does anyone have any good restaurant recommendations for the Algarve? I couldn't find much mentioned in past thread searches... I'm not going until June (staying in Vilamoura) but it's cold and rainy in London, so I'm already looking ahead to summer!

In Vilamoura behind the new Hilton i tried last october WILLIE's. A nice villa with 10 tables, only dinners. The owner and cooker is german. One michelin star.

Almancil and quinta do Lago have several good restaurants. My prefered is Henrique Leis. I think also one star.

In the marina of Vilamoura there's plenty of restaurants good for a lunch. No recomendation.

A little north ( 10 Km from Vilamoura, 3 Km from Loulé ) are one of my pefrered restaurants in the area Casa Paixanito. Lots of "entradas TAPAs

Nuno

A little north ( 10 Km from Vilamoura, 3 Km from Loulé ) are one of my pefrered restaurants in the area Casa Paixanito. Lots of "entradas TAPAs

Nuno

I was there in 2003! It was wonderful, though I have no idea where it was. I have a photo of the front of the building.

Also, some beachside restaurant near Manta Rota where we feasted on cockles, oysters, and baby squid, Restaurant Monte da Eira near Silves, and Restaurante Sitio do forno on a West Atlantic beach cliff. This was an incredible setting, but very casual - grilled fish and platters of salad and vegetables. And rows and rows of octopus pots. Great photo - sorry, only have a print.

Edited by tsquare (log)

Just back yesterday from a therapeutic short winter break to the Algarve. Two old favourites that are most definitely worth a considerable detour:

Marisqueira Rui in Silves, possibly the greatest shellfish shack in the world. We were there two days ago and it was just as good as ever.

Here's an account I wrote some years ago, still an accurate account of the experience.

Another not to be missed favourite is Sudeste in Ferragudo, a quayside, wholly informal restaurant that simply serves the best charcoal-grilled fish you will ever eat anywhere. This is quite a claim, I realise, but how can it be any better? The fishing boats return with a haul of fish tossed up directly from boat to restaurant. What I like best about Sudeste is that they always have big fish - so that the sea bass or stone bass or gilt-head bream that you order is always thick and meaty. Best to come in a group and order one giant fish to share for the whole table. The accompaniments are the simple classics. Perhaps a platter of ameijôas - clams - to start, and of course baskets of fantastic sourdough bread, simple boiled potatoes, platters of tomato and onion salad. Nothing else. Nothing to take away from the sea-fresh perfection of the fish, expertly cleaned, butterflied, and cooked over charcoal until just done. We usually go in summer, around the coast by boat, the sea journey only adding to the anticipation and enjoyment of the meal. But you can easily reach Ferrugado by car (it's just across the estuary from Portimão) and believe me, it really is worth a detour.

Here's an account from a few years back. Nothing will have changed.

Of course the Algarve has many fine international restaurants, and we've been to many over the past 30 years. But these days, for our taste, we prefer places like Rui and Sudeste where the Algarve's incredible bounty from the sea is prepared with such outstanding skill and expertise. Never underestimate the deliciousness of simplicity!

Marc

you've basically described my idea of a perfect day, Marco_Polo!

I can't agree more. It's places like Sudeste that bring me down in a nostalgic heap.

Wonderful account Mr Polo. Mr. Cochon: I know it's months away but make sure your camera is charged and ready to capture a day or two like that one andd you'll make this former Algarve resident very happy.

Does anyone know if that big barn on Sagres beach still grill a mean lunchtime fish?

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com