• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inventor of Egg McMuffin dies

lancastermike

The inventor of the Egg McMuffin, Herb Peterson, has died at the age of 89. The legandary breakfast sandwich was served by Peterson at his Santa Barbara CA McDonalds beginning in 1972.

Egg McMuffin inventor dies

I remember quite well when the Egg McMuffin was introduced.

In fact, while it was still being "tested" at his store, there was a McDonalds stand set up at the Santa Barbara Kennel Club show in July 1972 when it was still a "benched" show, with a huge tent (like a circus big top) set up at the polo grounds.

As the only other food vendors only had hot dogs, hamburgers, doughnuts and sweet rolls, the breakfast was very popular. The show had over 4000 dogs entered and visitors from all over the US as well as many foreign visitors. The McMuffin was a huge hit and it wasn't long before it was selling nationally.

It was first served in a flat, divided, covered tray and you had to put it together yourself. (They were worried about the muffins becoming soggy.) However they soon learned the turnover was so rapid that there was no problem with the muffins.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I briefly worked for a contract catering company in Canada called Beaver Foods. (It's now just one appendage of the Cara Foods critter).

Innyhoo. In one of their cafeterias, they sold a breakfast sanny; (english muffin, back bacon, cheese, petrified egg).

Guess what they called it? I kid you not.....it was the "Egg McBeaver". This still, lo these many years hence, can bring me to tears of mirth. Just create your own mental picture....you'll see.