• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do my work for me . . .

Fat Guy

The scary thing is that if you mean it there will be at least eleven eGullet people over later to help you. Be careful what you wish for . . .

well in that case i need to enter three years' worth of tasting notes into a database, and i'm also behind on vintage research.....

this kitty litter really needs to be scooped through, too....

oh, and i really should pay my visa bill in full this month--$483.77....

I ate at Beyoglu last night, and we enjoyed it very much.  More later.

I liked it too, but we went a couple of days after the NYT review and the owner had an oddly shaped chip on his shoulder. He made us (me really) his personal project, and went into three 20 minute lectures on how his food is supposed to be eaten (ordered), despite that fact that the place was packed and he was busy. He only got to the point in the last lecture, while the info would have helped before we ordered. I understood where he was coming from since if he had told the critic what he told me...he would have wound up with teh article he woudl ahve wanted written. But...im not in the food business, so he made a bad call. :)

I wonder if any of that made sense, LOL. :)

Did u try the octopus? yum :)

-Jason

Steven, what immediately caught my eye, when I saw the book cover, was where's the "A"(Steven A. Shaw) in your name! I thought using the "A" in your name, for your published work, would make you stand out more. Just a thought.

-----------------

Steve

Steven, what immediately caught my eye, when I saw the book cover, was where's the "A"(Steven A. Shaw) in your name! I thought using the "A" in your name, for your published work, would make you stand out more. Just a thought.

i think fat guy didn't want to be confused with "steven a. shull," who penned the riveting Explaining Congressional-Presidential Relations: A Multiple Perspectives Approach (Suny Series in the Presidency.)

The scary thing is that if you mean it there will be at least eleven eGullet people over later to help you. Be careful what you wish for . . .

well in that case i need to enter three years' worth of tasting notes into a database, and i'm also behind on vintage research.....

this kitty litter really needs to be scooped through, too....

oh, and i really should pay my visa bill in full this month--$483.77....

Be careful what you wish for ...

Have you noticed how many of the posts in this thread are helpful to Fat Guy. Did you count the ones that even try? Are they as numerous as the ones threatening law suits.

:biggrin:

You're going to end up with a dozen members tasting your wine, thumbing though your check book, commenting on your visa charges and looking to play with your ... uh, cat.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

FG -

You're looking to produce a list of restaurants in New York City (or Manhattan only?) which either:

1) opened

2) closed

3) significantly changed menu styles (Bid to Bid Brasserie)

in the year 2002?

Let me see if I can start a list tonight on the subject in a new thread

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rail Paul, as always I worship the ground you walk on. Thanks also to Jayask and the other helpful commentators here. Bux, the reason I'm not posting my list is because I haven't started making it. Read the title of the thread!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Bux, the reason I'm not posting my list is because I haven't started making it. Read the title of the thread!

Odd, I could have sworn you said:

The last comprehensive manuscript update I did was in April of this year (2002).
You did say manuscript update, not proposal update. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

my take on this:

fat guy's book has a bunch of restaurants listed in it.

this list will remain.

fat guy wants a list for the book that will list any recent openings or closings that might be noteworthy. certainly closings of restaurants in his book would be of great concern.

if anyone knows of any openings or closing, provide those restaurants to fat guy.

easy-peasy.

Will there be pretty pictures?

Is Momo in it?

Are there any chef interviews or comments?

Is Momo in it?

Will you have an update feature? That is to say, at the conclusion of the book (after "FIN") have a page describing fatguy.com and how to access updated information? And actually update the information on fatguy.com?

Is Momo in it?

Will there be pretty pictures of chefs in it?

Is Momo in it?

Will there be pretty pictures of Momo in it?

Is Momo in it?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Tommy, thanks for that elegant summary.

Jinmyo, to address your questions:

Q: Will there be pretty pictures?

A: What, you don't think that cover photo is gorgeous? What's the matter with you?

Q: Is Momo in it?

A: Momo is in everything.

Q: Are there any chef interviews or comments?

A: Who gives a damn what they think? (Plotnicki, 2002)

A: Momo is right here sleeping. How could he be in a book?

Q: Will you have an update feature? That is to say, at the conclusion of the book (after "FIN") have a page describing fatguy.com and how to access updated information? And actually update the information on fatguy.com?

A: This is something I've proposed to the publisher. We'll see.

A: No.

Q: Will there be pretty pictures of chefs in it?

A: Yes.

Q: Will there be pretty pictures of Momo in it?

A: No comment.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

He's missing some equipment but he tries his best.

Thanks, though I must confess the idea was not mine. The original book bearing this title was compiled and written in 1993 by Peter Kump. The original publisher did the book for some other cities as well. A couple of years ago Ten Speed got together with the old publisher and decided to recreate the series on a more ambitious scale, though in the case of the New York guide their choice of a new author was certainly a lesser one. As a guidebook and part of a series the format is quite constraining, so those hoping to see a deeper expression of me in a book form will have to wait for something a bit more narrative. Still, I've given this one quite a bit of effort and I hope it will find an audience.