• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do my work for me . . .

Fat Guy

Well, it looks as though we're actually coming close to the time when my book will come out. It's listed on Amazon.com for October release, but I think we're more likely looking like December-February given where the editorial process is right now. But here's the cover:

1580082742.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Isn't it gorgeous? Well, not really, but in any event here's my question for you all:

The last comprehensive manuscript update I did was in April of this year (2002). In the coming six weeks or so, I'll have a chance to do a mini feeding-frenzy wherein I get caught up on the key restaurants that have opened in 2002 -- and I also have to cut the ones that have closed or otherwise become irrelevant. I'm starting to build my lists: Closed; New; Need-to-revisit-in-light-of-chef/ownership/concept-change, etc.

Anybody want to help me out with this exercise? Editorial commentary is appreciated as well -- I have to make some judgment calls regarding inclusion/exclusion and any information or testimony helps.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The cover looks great for the US market. I am sure it will do exceptionally well

BUT

They are not really going to release the book in December are they FG?

Why not just put all the copies in the basement of a bookshop in the dodgiest neighbourhood in the Bronx in a box marked "beware herpes" the resulting sales would be the same?

December is the month where good books go to die. The boxes don't get unpacked as all the staff are running around making sure they have enough copies of The Grinch etc etc and they usually come upon them in January at the back of the good in dept and put them straight into returns.

I hope they keep it back to Jan. They are a smart publisher, so I am sure they will have it all worked out anyway.

S

Steven -- While I am unable to render assistance in view of other time demands, I'd be interested in learning about what the principal themes in your book are. Since your book title refers to "best" restaurants, was the quality of the cuisine the only criterion taken into account (thereby potentially including many more expensive restaurants), or are there "best" restaurants in lower price ranges?

Steven -- While I am unable to render assistance in view of other time demands, I'd be interested in learning about what the principal themes in your book are. Since your book title refers to "best" restaurants, was the quality of the cuisine the only criterion taken into account (thereby potentially including many more expensive restaurants), or are there "best" restaurants in lower price ranges?

Sorry, Cabrales, but in view of my time demands I don't have time to answer your question. But it's all explained in the introduction to the book and if your time demands permit you can browse it in a bookstore in a few months.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steven -- Are you angry at me for some reason? :sad: I meant I couldn't help with edits, etc., in particular. As for chef changes and other updates, I think participation on the board in response to questions would make information available, no?

Steven -- Are you angry at me for some reason?  :sad:

you broke your promise of limiting yourself to only 2 posts per day. i think i speak for everyone when i say that we're not angry, just a little upset that you weren't able to fulfill that commitment. :wink:

I understand. I will now commit to six months of not posting anything. Hopefully I'll be more successful on this attempt. :shock:

Steven -- Are you angry at me for some reason?  :sad:

you broke your promise of limiting yourself to only 2 posts per day. i think i speak for everyone when i say that we're not angry, just a little upset that you weren't able to fulfill that commitment. :wink:

I understand. I will now commit to six months of not posting anything. Hopefully I'll be more successful on this attempt. :shock:

Ack! :blink::sad:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Southern, thanks for that offer of assistance. Basically, the book is done. It's just a question of this one round of updating. The one piece of assistance I can really use at this time is help in generating the lists I mentioned above. I'd love to do that publicly, on this thread, because it will allow for group participation and will make for a better list. Would anybody be willing to seed the list-making process?

Later, though, if you want to make about 200 fact-checking phone calls in the few days before the thing goes to press I can definitely put you to work! Seriously, thanks for the offer. I do appreciate it.

Thanks, Nick, and also to all who have voiced congratulations and all who have offered help. I hope, though, that everyone will understand that I wasn't fishing for praise or publicity when I started this thread -- I actually need help and call me crazy but you're the people I trust to give it to me.

The scary thing is that if you mean it there will be at least eleven eGullet people over later to help you. Be careful what you wish for . . .

Yes, actually I just got fifty PMs telling me I'm always right about everything.

Well, it looks as though we're actually coming close to the time when my book will come out. It's listed on Amazon.com for October release, but I think we're more likely looking like December-February given where the editorial process is right now. But here's the cover:

Isn't it gorgeous? Well, not really, but in any event here's my question for you all:

The last comprehensive manuscript update I did was in April of this year (2002). In the coming six weeks or so, I'll have a chance to do a mini feeding-frenzy wherein I get caught up on the key restaurants that have opened in 2002 -- and I also have to cut the ones that have closed or otherwise become irrelevant. I'm starting to build my lists: Closed; New; Need-to-revisit-in-light-of-chef/ownership/concept-change, etc.

Anybody want to help me out with this exercise? Editorial commentary is appreciated as well -- I have to make some judgment calls regarding inclusion/exclusion and any information or testimony helps.

Great. I'ill buy it to, signed of course, with a greasy fingerprint of yours on itfrom eating Les halles Frites or something. :)

Disclaimer: sketchy memory.

I get mixed up with what was this year and last but...

New:

the downtown Les Halles

The new Grand Sichuan (Midtown east?)

downtown churascarria plataforma

Beyoglu (and I have a story for that one)

Noche (heard good things but havent been),

Taste Good on Bayard (related to the one in Elmhurst.)

Cinnebar

I noticed a (new) Crystal's (philepino) in manhattan. Related to the woodside one?

You can get more info from the recently opened section of TONY. No, i dont work for them. LOL

Closed: Russian Tea room, atlas, cello, alison on Dominick, hudson river club, meigas. Yes, this weeks TONY helped me out. :)

You may want to try the UES Wu liang Ye (since they have the (now closed) Lion pavillion chef.)

I'm not sure if this is what u meant. I hope it helps. :)

-Jason

My guess is that if you could post your list it would make it very easy for each of us to quickly cross check it. You might have reasons for not doing that. I assume you're mostly interested in what's closed and what's opened or moved since April, or is that wrong and you also want some editorial opinion about restaurants. I suspect not the latter. Tell us.

Most restaurants change their menus periodically. I can't imagine you want us to come up with the lastest menu.

I gather everyone understands this is about restaurants in New York City and the title suggests. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.