• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Location Ideas for a "Not A Wedding Reception"

My steadfast companion and I will be getting married on 08/08/08 - in Las Vegas with about 20 family members and friends present (and Elvis won't be one of them. Nor will he be officiating, for that matter).

We've got the Vegas end of after-ceremony dinner ironed out, but we're now trying to come up with a place where we can do a little celebrating with 75 or so family and friends who weren't able to make it to Vegas. This isn't going to be a typical wedding reception - no band/dj, no dance floor, no vows, etc. Just either a lovely gathering for a few hours on either a Saturday night for a dinner or Sunday afternoon for lunch (depending on cost/availability, etc). Food is of UTMOST concern to us with locale running a close second (nah, not a close second - level of food quality by far surpasses any other factor.) NYC, NJ, Westchester are all locations that we'd consider.

Would love to find a place that can do a tasting menu of sorts - tried Cafe Matisse, but they're just not large enough to accomodate our group. Some other considerations were Varka in Ramsey (their private room is too small), Beacon in NYC (eh, but still a possibility) and thinking of giving the new chef at Arthur's Landing a try, based on the NYTimes review. Highlawn Pavilion, another consideration, seems too 'wedding-y"

Any other suggestions? Don't want to use a caterer, as I don't have the time or inclination to deal with all the details that trucking in flatware, linens, etc. entail. PLUS, to me it makes it seem more like a wedding. I just want a good meal at a good restaurant.... for 70+ of my nearest and dearest. :-)

Edited by whitetrufflechick (log)

How about Blue Hill in Westchester? Is that what it is called? Highlawn has such great views! I believe Saddle River Inn (and I had a GREAT meal there very recently) will close down for weddings. Or, wedding-ish parties.

How about Blue Hill in Westchester? Is that what it is called? Highlawn has such great views! I believe Saddle River Inn (and I had a GREAT meal there very recently) will close down for weddings. Or, wedding-ish parties.

Yes, Blue Hill is definitely one we are looking at. We were thinking about Saddle River Inn but had heard mixed things. Based on your great meal, we'll certainly check them out.

Thanks so much again!

My wife and I got married at Tribeca Grill in NYC on a Sunday afternoon. We had around the same number of people as you. The restaurant is on the ground level but there is a loft space upstairs with a separate entrance that could probably hold up to 100 people. We used the screening room for the reception.

Everything turned out great and the price was relatively reasonable. The area is also quiet on a Sunday afternoon and street parking was not too much of a problem for guests.

I have also been to a similar event as yours at the Water Club on the East Side. Another place to consider is City Hall Restaurant in Manhattan.

Keba

I performed a Ceremony of Commitment for a couple in one of the small (private) rooms at the Manor - it was intimate and lovely (after you arrive and walk through thd not so sall & intimate...)

The night prior to my nephew's wedding, we had a dinner part for around 80 people at Gramercy Tavern -- this was my sister's planning and it really was outstanding, from champagne bar hour prior through dessert course -- and the rooms was lovely - really outstanding...

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler