• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping fresh ravioli

jackal10

Is it possible that there's no egg in their dough?

I believe that commercially made fresh pasta is made with dried / powdered eggs rather than fresh eggs. Probably also some other preservatives.

They are probably pasteurized.

Even so, I am surprised that the fresh ones you make last for a day or two. We make our pasta in a way that resembles home made pasta more than industrial, and they last on average for about 4-5 days. Could you describe how you make them?

One option you could consider is producing a larger batch and freezing some of it.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

This is for a food shop I am helping

They make pasta sheets wound onto rollers using a pasta machine extruded via brass die.

The formula is the usual: 100g flour/ egg, with the flour 25% yellow cornmeal.

Two of the rolled up sheets (one upper, one lower) are mounted on a machine that injects a portion of filling and then cuts and presses the ravioli.

How do you pastaurise ravioli?

Would sous vide, say 2hours at 55C work?

Hot enough to kill the bugs according to the FCC reccomendations, but not hot enough to cook the pasta.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Assuming the eggs are the primarily source of spoilage, you might try pasteurizing just the eggs (as suggested in the SV thread). Another option would be to buy already-pasteurized eggs (something like this ) or reconstitute powdered whole eggs.

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I think it must be more than just the egg.

I've just bought supermarket "fresh organic" totellini.

It has a "use by" date of 3 weeks (21 April).

"pasta contains Durum Wheat Semolina, Pastaurised egg. Packed in a proteective atmosphere"

Even in an oxygen reduced atmosphere I can't get damp flour to stay good that long. There must be some heap big juju there.

My guess is a fairly dry filling - according to the contents it contains "breadsticks (about 15%), dried potato (about 2%).

and then pasturise the pack.

They may be drying the commercial product a bit before packaging...remember moisture is your enemy

If you wrap food up tightly is will spoil (runny moldy etc)...if left unwrapped it will dry up and become unappetizing but less likely to "rot"

assuming "home wrapping" of course

So back to the Ravioli...perhaps a good dusting with the cornmeal and an hour or so out to toughen up a little

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Jack,

pasteurization of fresh stuffed pasta is done by means of a steam tunnel, like this one.

The pasta then goes into a blast chiller to bring it back to 0-5C temp range (or -20C if it's to be sold frozen).

Furthermore, protective atmosphere means not only reduced oxygen level, but it usually means vacuum packing using inert gases, which further extend the pasta's shelf life.

Not sure how the SV approach would work. I would think you would have to be very careful with the packing in order to prevent the individual pieces sticking to each other, you would loose the shapes, etc.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

Has the food shop had fresh ravioli in the past? How long did it keep?

What about the pasta sheets themselves; if you keep them for a few days, wrapped the same way as the ravioli, how do the sheets look?

Karen Dar Woon

What about the pasta sheets themselves; if you keep them for a few days, wrapped the same way as the ravioli, how do the sheets look?

I've just started consulting to the shop.

The fresh ravioli and pasta keep a couple of days, even with vacuum packing.

Supermarket "fresh" pasta, in modified atmosphere keeps 21 days.

I'm sure its not just the modified atmosphere.

My guess is pastaurisation, but I cant find the reccomended time/temperature that still leaves the product uncooked.

I've just started consulting to the shop.

The fresh ravioli and pasta keep a couple of days, even with vacuum packing.

Supermarket "fresh" pasta, in modified atmosphere keeps 21 days.

I'm sure its not just the modified atmosphere.

My guess is pastaurisation, but I cant find the reccomended time/temperature that still leaves the product uncooked.

Jack, I would give the LB Italia people a call and just ask them what time and temperature they use for their pasteurizer.