• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

10th Annual KC Farmers Expo

Despite the chill, spring is finally here and I know this to be true because tomorrow is my favorite annual event!

Take some time to drop by, visit with, encourage and buy from the folks who keep us well-fed all year . . . our local heroes.

Info here on the kcfoodcircle website.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I have no plans for tomorrow yet. And this would be interesting to see.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Getting a late start heading out tonight, so no PROMISES but I'll see what I can do about getting there before it closes down at 2pm........

Judy, I'll give you credit for at least announcing this the day before instead of the day after..... but seriously, I'm too excited about spring arriving to give you a hard time. Please take notes in case I don't make it over there......

I'm going to go sit outside next to my chives now.........

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Getting a late start heading out tonight, so no PROMISES but I'll see what I can do about getting there before it closes down at 2pm........   

Judy, I'll give you credit for at least announcing this the day before instead of the day after.....  but seriously, I'm too excited about spring arriving to give you a hard time.  Please take notes in case I don't make it over there......

I have been putting chives from my patch in everything the last couple of days. The local Indian spring onion festival should be real soon.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Judy, I'll give you credit for at least announcing this the day before instead of the day after.....  but seriously, I'm too excited about spring arriving to give you a hard time.  Please take notes in case I don't make it over there......

I deserve it - I am completely calendar-challenged right now. This time of year marks the convergence of March Madness (go Jayhawks!), Royals home opener (we're the catalyst of 4 season tickets), our local bbq contest (I've grated 20# of cabbage so far today) and, if that weren't enough, we're going to San Antonio next weekend (assuming that tomorrow turns out well). Oh, and I have to go visit our good friends at Westboro in Topeka tomorrow. :laugh:

But I did make it to the expo and have some wonderful foods (eggs, greens, lettuces, pea shoots, cress, mushrooms, scallions, chicken) to chase away the last gasp of winter and a few transplants to fret over until it's dry enough to till. Because of the aforementioned demands on my time and energy, I did not stay for any of the programs. Dan May was first up and thought he wasn't presenting until next week (when the circus moves to Independence, MO); Hilary Brown was driving about 55 mph on Johnson Drive because she was running late and also presenting and the organic free-trade coffee guy didn't come this year . . . a typical early-season Saturday for all. I think the expo is *really* a practice run for the farmers and, if they happen to educate/inspire a few civilians in the process, it's a bonus. :rolleyes:

I do want to make everyone aware that Brooke Selvaggio (sp?) is starting a Friday evening market this year at Bad Seed in the Crossroads. She has some great farmers lined up to participate and is very enthusiastic (as always) so try to work it into your shopping schedule and help her get it off the ground.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Dan May was first up and thought he wasn't presenting until next week (when the circus moves to Independence, MO);

Things got a little out of hand last night.....so I can catch this roadshow in Independence next weekend? Will it be anywhere near the faincy new Bass Pro they are building?

Oh, and I have to go visit our good friends at Westboro in Topeka tomorrow. :laugh:

Oh, do be sure to give the honorable reverend my warmest regards........ :angry:

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Hey Judy, I was suprised not to see you at Dan's talk, but I'm glad to hear you had already been there. Dan pulled it together and did well. A lot of pretty technical questions from the audience about organic gardening, so I'm not sure how "civilian" they were. It was definately an informative session.

I didn't stay for Hilary's presentation, but I talked to her briefly before it. She hopes to have a restaurant in KC, probably the crossroads by next spring so that's good news. She says business is good in Lawrence, and she's pregnant now too, so she's gonna have her hands full (or more full).

Another bit of good news - the ladies from Green Dirt Farm up in Weston are setting up a creamery and will be producing three sheep's milk cheeses. A ricotta, a bloomy rind cheese, and an aged one. They said to look for ricotta as early as June - I can't wait. My first move will be Spotted Pig-style gnudi.

I was only there briefly too, but it seemed like a successful event. On a final (spelling) note, Brooke's ,from Bad Seed, last name is Salvaggio.

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

Dan pulled it together and did well.  A lot of pretty technical questions from the audience about organic gardening, so I'm not sure how "civilian" they were.  It was definately an informative session.

I wasn't too worried about Dan holding his own - he is the least shy farmer I have ever encountered about talking -- to one or 100 people. His passion and his natural gift of gab carry him.

I didn't stay for Hilary's presentation, but I talked to her briefly before it.  She hopes to have a restaurant in KC, probably the crossroads by next spring so that's good news.  She says business is good in Lawrence, and she's pregnant now too, so she's gonna have her hands full (or more full).

Thanks for confirming Hilary's "state" -- I thought she might have enjoyed one too many local burgers. :laugh:

Another bit of good news - the ladies from Green Dirt Farm up in Weston are setting up a creamery and will be producing three sheep's milk cheeses.  A ricotta, a bloomy rind cheese, and an aged one.

That is great news, we seem to be laggards in cheese production around here, despite the availability of wonderful milk and butter (have you *tried* the Shatto butter? Unbelieveablel!)

M.F.K. Fisher