• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Endive recipes?

Dave Hatfield

3 minutes ago, scamhi said:

this is one of my favorite Endive recipes from Yotam Ottolenghi

carmelized endive with serrano ham

Now that sounds deliciously decadent. I am a huge fan of endive.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I also use it as a sub for puntarelle in the classic Roman salad...

1219226815_Roman-styleendive11-19.thumb.jpeg.c610cd1398eea3f9be794d0ca2cb976b.jpeg

Endive alla Romana. Dressing is simply anchovies, garlic, evoo, and good wine vinegar. Some people put a little parsley atop (I gotta stop watching Jacques).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

17 hours ago, weinoo said:

I also use it as a sub for puntarelle in the classic Roman salad...

1219226815_Roman-styleendive11-19.thumb.jpeg.c610cd1398eea3f9be794d0ca2cb976b.jpeg

Endive alla Romana. Dressing is simply anchovies, garlic, evoo, and good wine vinegar. Some people put a little parsley atop (I gotta stop watching Jacques).

We had a gorgeous salad of bitter leaves at our night away between Christmas and new years. This had curly endive and castelfranco (which I find the most beautiful vegetable), and was dressed with exactly this type of sauce. Alas, no pictures as I was too engrossed in the pomerol we ordered but it’s definitely on my list to try and recreate. 

Regarding proportions, what sort of ratio of garlic to anchovies to oil are you using in yours?

1 hour ago, &roid said:

We had a gorgeous salad of bitter leaves at our night away between Christmas and new years. This had curly endive and castelfranco (which I find the most beautiful vegetable), and was dressed with exactly this type of sauce. Alas, no pictures as I was too engrossed in the pomerol we ordered but it’s definitely on my list to try and recreate. 

Regarding proportions, what sort of ratio of garlic to anchovies to oil are you using in yours?

Last night I actually made a similar salad - Belgian endive, the light center leaves from a head of what is called chicory here (but is more likely curly endive), and radicchio (Chioggia, as my local greengrocer doesn't have the favorite Castelfranco). It was being served at almost every restaurant when we were recently in Florence.

For the dressing I used 3 (rinsed) anchovies, 1/2 a small clove of garlic, 2 T olive oil, and 1 T white wine vinegar.  I think it's important to really smash the garlic, so I like to make this dressing in a small mortal and pestle, after mincing the garlic finely.

How cool is this?

https://www.spadefootnursery.com/blog/2021/9/5/the-diversity-of-the-chicory-plant

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 1 month later...

I had a impulse buy of endive (3) to use.   I split it and used the IP saute with a good knob of butter to brown the cut sides.  I also had quite a bit of leftover celery ribs (Costco sized bag) that I had used for soup, salads, and dehydrating.   The last few unused ribs were also sauteed in IP for a bit, the endives were laid back on top of the celery with a  couple tblsp of water and a sprinkle of Herb-Ox sodium free chicken powder.   0 minutes on IP manual setting, and natural release.  It stayed in keep warm status for hours until we were ready to eat.  The endive was silky soft, sweet with a slight bitter undertone.   The celery was soft and tasted sweet and buttery.  I liked the braised celery better than the endive, but it was a close race.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lemniscate said:

0 minutes on IP manual setting, and natural release.  It stayed in keep warm status for hours until we were ready to eat.  The endive was silky soft, sweet with a slight bitter undertone.   

0 minutes?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

0 minutes?

Yes, I learned about that in the Instant Pot threads on eG.  Works a charm for veg (and some fruits).  Press manual and then - down to 0.  IP will pressurize and then immediately switch to keep warm.   If you want slightly crispy, yet cooked veg, do quick release.   If you want, like I did, a braised product, walk away and come back when you are ready to eat.  I really believe I eat more veg now using IP than I ever did with conventional cooking.  I love 1 button unattended cooks.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Press manual and then - down to 0.  IP will pressurize and then immediately switch to keep warm. 

interesting; I had no idea it could do that.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

How long did you brown the endive for?

I heated sauté to Hot, put in the butter, then browned the endive. It was in for a bit longer than a minute.

2 Tblsp water.

Edited by TdeV
Edited to add water (log)

I'm sorry, I don't recall how long, just until color was right.  I did use butter/oil combo I think.  Maybe your butter solids were burning?   Try clarified or olive oil next time?

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

How long did you brown the endive for?

I heated sauté to Hot, put in the butter, then browned the endive. It was in for a bit longer than a minute.

2 Tblsp water.

• Thanks 1