• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Endive recipes?

Dave Hatfield

Endive is something I hadn't paid a lot of attention to until recently. Lately, however, I've tried a few things with it and found that its pretty good as well as being both cheap & available.

But; I haven't found many recipes for it. There are two nice ones in Recipe Gullet and a few repetitive ones come up on a Google search, but there must be more out there.

So- eGulleteers what are your favorite ways with endive?

I have posted a endive & smoked salmon salad recipe I made up the other night on my blog. Link below.

I'm sure everyone can do better.

I love endive, and use it as a substitute for puntarella, in the classic Roman salad of Puntarelle in Salsa d'Acciughe, or puntarella with anchovy dressing. The dressing is quite assertive and works well with the slight bitterness of endive, which should be thinly sliced lengthwise.

It's also great, and classic, braised slowly in stock.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Another vote for braising it. I've also had success roasting it with a very good olive oil and salt a la Radicchio di Treviso, but it has to be very fresh; if it's older it gets too bitter.

It's not a recipe, really, but slapping a blue cheese (gorgonzola dolce, say) in endive leaves and plunking a walnut on top is an easy way to take advantage of that bitter crunch.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I just recently got into endive since I never saw it as a child.

I had a hot grill already with salmon, so I brushed it with roast garlic, oil and a hint of soy and mustard. Dang good and took all of a minute as the fish went into the kitchen to be plated.

I had a hot grill already with salmon, so I brushed it with roast garlic, oil and a hint of soy and mustard. 

I also like to grill (or broil) it - along with radicchio de treviso and small romaines - cut in half, brush heavily with olive oil, salt & pepper, grill each side till a nice color - great side dish with roasted meats.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

It's also great, and classic, braised slowly in stock.

This is my favorite way to eat it...also very popular here to make it into a stampot, basically a potato mash with lots of shredded endive throughout...here's Chufi's recipe.

I often make this endive mash and add chopped hardboiled eggs, chives and cubes of fried chorizo, sounds an unlikely combination, but it's very good.

Also, if you have braised endive, put it on some puff pastry, dot with blue cheese and pinenuts or walnuts, and bake until the pastry is done.

Edited by Chufi (log)

I make an appetizer that everyone seems to rave about, and it's so simple.

Trim belgian endive and spread the leaves, facing-up, on a large dish. Sprinkle tiny bits of beets, toasted walnuts and blue cheese on top, and top with a simple white wine vinegrette and some chives. Sooooo good! And everyone loves finger food, right?

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Thanks everybody! You've given me some great ideas. I'll be trying them over the coming weeks.

Don't stop though. The more ideas the better as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again.

Trim belgian endive and spread the leaves, facing-up, on a large dish. 

We have been talking about the "other" endive, though...right? The green sort (disambiguation thread here)...

oh right. I was talking about the belgian one. So please ignore my post above. which refers to the wrong kind. sorry. :shock:

although I think that the OP was also referring to the belgian kind!

Edited by Chufi (log)

Half the Endives ,lengthwise, and then with a bit of butter and oil in a pan, slowly sear the cut side until it caramelises and then you can deglaze with a bit of chicken stock ( not to cover but maybe halfway up) and then keep cooking till the stock is reduced and just glazing the endives, serve with a nice risotto, maybe some strong cheese to keep up with then endive like cheddar or blue and then you can garnish with caramelized walnuts or by grating a not too sweet gingerbread over it, or make ginger bread croutons ( I know it sounds weird but it really works well).

You can also make a nice chutney with the endives, chop endives, shallots and leeks to similar size, sweat all together in a skillet , once softened add some ginger, chopped garlic, sweat some more, add some lightly crushed spices (coriander seed, mustard, chili flakes, whatever you like) add sugar, vinegar and salt , some plumped raisins and then keep cooking till almost dry and jammy, great with most meats hot or cold.

http://directionsinfood.blogspot.com/

I halve them, cut the cores out and then cut thin.. Then add to a pan of hot caramel.. Coat and then serve with a blood orange or grapefruit sauce,with scallops or cod or white fish... I have seen some places use add grits or a cauliflower puree to the dish...

oh right. I was talking about the belgian one. So please ignore my post above. which refers to the wrong kind. sorry.  :shock:

although I think that the OP was also referring to the belgian kind!

i think you might be right, don't know why i assumed the green kind...so we shan't ignore anyone's posts except mine. :wink:

Edited by markemorse (log)

• 3 years later...

I like and often serve it with other winter greens and paired with fish.

Also in a warm salad, with pears, apples and/or quince and sometimes cheese.

Incidentally, tonight will be cod with endive and leeks. (Or if I can get some other kind of interesting fish at Citarella.)

My favorite way to cook endive is to cut the heads in half, trim the bottom of the core but don't remove it, then place cut side down on a baking sheet that has been dotted with soft butter and sprinkled with brown sugar and salt. Roast in a medium oven until the caramel bubbles and the endive is soft, then leave to cool down to warm before lifting off of the pan. I always use slightly too much brown sugar and it always comes out delicious.

A great variation to this is to make a savory Tarte Tatin with Belgian endive. Melt butter, sugar, and salt in a nonstick skillet, cram in as much halved or sliced endive as will fit under the level of the rim of the pan, and cook until medium caramel bubbles up around the pieces. Cool slightly, then pour off most of the liquid that comes out of the endive as it will make the finished product too watery. Cover with a round of puff pastry, tuck the edges down the sides, and bake at 400F until the pastry is brown. Chill completely and then turn out onto a plate and slice. I've made individual ones as well, but man, that takes a lot of attention.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

• 10 years later...
1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I just braise it quite simply.

Since your oven will be on for the cassoulet...

image.thumb.jpeg.ae9bfcdded328626347d4b702de83be2.jpeg

Mitch, I need a YES! symbol, and 😄 and THANKS. What was the depth of the liquid? Any seasonings?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Mitch, I need a YES! symbol, and 😄 and THANKS. What was the depth of the liquid? Any seasonings?

I trimmed and browned these first in a little butter and olive oil (salt and pepper, of course), cut side down. Don't worry about removing the cores, as they soften up nicely in the braise (if they're giant and woody, I'd cut them out). Then turned over, add chicken stock (maybe halfway up), a little lemon juice, cover and into the oven for about 30 minutes. Take the lid off, make sure they're tender, and if there's too much liquid, just reduce it off. Some add a dash of sugar to reduce bitterness, but I don't find them bitter at all, at least not as bitter as me!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Are you using that clay vessel stovetop?   What kind of heat source?

Yes, I do use the cazuela on the stovetop; in this case, for browning, but often for shrimp with garlic and oil, to heat up some olives, or whatever.

The key is to start on low heat. I have larger ones that I will occasionally use for soupy rice, or a stew.

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog