• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

1 hour ago, &roid said:

We had a gorgeous salad of bitter leaves at our night away between Christmas and new years. This had curly endive and castelfranco (which I find the most beautiful vegetable), and was dressed with exactly this type of sauce. Alas, no pictures as I was too engrossed in the pomerol we ordered but it’s definitely on my list to try and recreate. 

Regarding proportions, what sort of ratio of garlic to anchovies to oil are you using in yours?

Last night I actually made a similar salad - Belgian endive, the light center leaves from a head of what is called chicory here (but is more likely curly endive), and radicchio (Chioggia, as my local greengrocer doesn't have the favorite Castelfranco). It was being served at almost every restaurant when we were recently in Florence.

For the dressing I used 3 (rinsed) anchovies, 1/2 a small clove of garlic, 2 T olive oil, and 1 T white wine vinegar.  I think it's important to really smash the garlic, so I like to make this dressing in a small mortal and pestle, after mincing the garlic finely.

How cool is this?

https://www.spadefootnursery.com/blog/2021/9/5/the-diversity-of-the-chicory-plant

weinoo

weinoo

1 hour ago, &roid said:

We had a gorgeous salad of bitter leaves at our night away between Christmas and new years. This had curly endive and castelfranco (which I find the most beautiful vegetable), and was dressed with exactly this type of sauce. Alas, no pictures as I was too engrossed in the pomerol we ordered but it’s definitely on my list to try and recreate. 

Regarding proportions, what sort of ratio of garlic to anchovies to oil are you using in yours?

Last night I actually made a similar salad - Belgian endive, the light center leaves from a head of what is called chicory here (but is more likely curly endive), and radicchio (Chioggia, as my local greengrocer doesn't have the favorite Castelfranco). It was being served at almost every restaurant when we were recently in Florence.

For the dressing I used 3 (rinsed) anchovies, 1/2 a small clove of garlic, 2 T. olive oil, and 1 T white wine vinegar.  I think it's important to really smash the garlic, so I like to make this dressing in a small mortal and pestle, and mincing the garlic finely.

How cool is this?

https://www.spadefootnursery.com/blog/2021/9/5/the-diversity-of-the-chicory-plant