• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Creme Brulee Iron

DessertsByDesign

Hi Gulleteers,

I am looking for an ELECTRIC creme brulee iron. Anyone have any sources!!! :unsure:

My trusty iron of 15 years has finally died. :angry: After having done many internet searched, and calling a few of my suppliers, I have not been able to find one. The last one I bought needed an adaptor to fit US outlets, I'm assuming it was from France, but it was second hand when I bought it. Unfortunately, the label has been worn off for quite some time.

Thanks in Advance,

Chris

-CW

Thanks a ton!! How did you find ine so fast? I tried all kind of keywords and search engines....

Why? you ask... for starters, its instant, literally, a 4" disc of carmelized sugar takes only a second. So when I do a banquet-style plating and I need to brulee 40 free standing brulee's, I can do them with an iron in about 3 minutes...try that with a torch, it'll take about 12. You could also do a 12" diameter gateaux in a few seconds.

There is almost no thermal transfer, since it is so quick to carmelize sugar, I can 'brulee' sensitive items like ice cream, chiboust, sorbet. It also will not 'cook' most items, so you can have a thin layer of carmel on a paper thin blood orange slice without the cooked flavor, or scorching the membranes. There is also no 'stray flame'. Ever try to caramelize a thin slice of brioche, phyllo, or brik wrapper? a torch will just burn it, or the edges of the one next to it.

Another advantage of having no flame is that you can 'brulee' things like a key lime custard tart, without burking the pate brisee on the edges.

I could go on and on...oh I just did :raz:

I am getting all excited...Now I have to go and buy one tonight :biggrin:

Thanks again. Hope they have one in stock.

Why an electric brulee iron? Personally I've never heard of one or seen one.

Why not a torch? :unsure:

I found one for you though......

Electric Brulee Iron

-CW

Thanks a ton!! How did you find ine so fast? I tried all kind of keywords and search engines....

Got lucky I guess! I just went to Google, and typed in "electric brulee torch"....those exact words. I found the result about 5 listings from the top....... :smile:

I am getting all excited...Now I have to go and buy one tonight 

Thanks again. Hope they have one in stock.

Gosh, I think you sold me on that iron! Sounds like an invaluable tool for all those reasons you mention! Additionally I will have another tool in my arsenal to torture my interns with!!! Bwa-ha-ha!

$149 isn't too bad an investment.

Glad I could help! :laugh:

Pierre Herme's book has a photo of him using one to caramelize Joconde cake. So that is another application.

Thanks for finding it, always wondered what one of those things was. Though for $150, probably not worth it for me.