• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Richmond Rendezvous Chinese Restaurant in Richmond

It used to be my favorite Chinese restaurant in the world....especially their Toffee Bananas, prepared table-side.

I've tried Googling it but nothing comes up.

What memories you have revived. It was the venue for many special meals when I first came to England and met my husband 37 years ago. Having grown up in NYC, I thought I was used to Chinese food but this was a whole different cuisine. Not just toffee apples but my introduction to crispy duck in pancakes. Always a treat to go there but it would be miraculous if it was the same, or better, after all that time. I think I drove past it a year or two ago and was intrigued that it still existed but wouldn't dream of going in, preferring to leave the memories intact.

Gone years ago. It's now the Thai Elephant and I've never been. We've got the Thai Pin on our side of the river and frankly Richmond in the 25 years I've lived here has been a culinary desert, nothing but chains and franchises. I suppose it's the rent.

But we've now got Petersham Nurseries, Brula, La Buvette, Kew Grill, The Glasshouse, Bacco and a few more within a mile of each other so I guess we'll survive.

No decent Chinese though.