• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. Maarten style BBQ baby back ribs

eldereno

Returned from a 10 day vacation in St. Maarten/St. Martin a couple of weeks ago. Had BBQ baby back ribs and BBQ chicken wings at several restaurants around the island. All seemed to be very similar and all delicious. Very crispy on the outside but moist and meaty on the inside. Would like to try to recreate them. Anyone have any ideas, recipes?

Donna

Two of my favorite things, ribs and wings. But I've never been to St. Maarten, so I don't know what the culinary influences are. Is it jerk, Creole, French, Dutch?

I wish I knew!!!! Some of the best reviewed places that specialized in these were on the French side, though I only ate them on the Dutch side. They were not significantly spicey (though I usually like that). Mostly I noted that they were just so crispy on the outside, almost like they had been deep fried. The insides were very tender and luscious, like slow cooked pork fat. The BBQ baby back ribs seem to be a specialty on the island that I was sure that I could find some kind of reference to recipes with an online search....but didn't.

Maybe they do a "low and slow" kind of thing on the ribs and then actually deep fry them briefly????? So...when to add the sauce???????

Donna