• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passiflore in the 16th - An update on a one star

John Talbott

8.5 Passiflore in the 16th - An Update on a one star with a 38 Euro luncheon.

A coupla months ago, my best food finder friend, Atar, told me he’d gone back to a place we'd had a half-dozen good meals at a while back, Passiflore in the 16th, and had the 38 (it says 35 in the Michelin but they lie) Euro menu at lunch and it was terrific. Colette and I drifted by to scope the menu and decided it didn’t look interesting, but then Atar said he’d gone again and I was hooked.

Colette and I went today and were quite impressed. We entered between rain/sleet storms and were nicely greeted, but Colette missed the large vases of flowers she had enjoyed on our last visit. We were seated at a very discrete distance from other tables (0.5 points) where we could talk - too often, in French restaurants, we find ourselves seated cheek by jowl with the other diners, even if there are only a few occupied tables within a larger space.

They gave us the carte with the luncheon menu without our having to ask (0.5 points), put salt and pepper on the table without our having to ask (0.5 points) and served us their fine bread and butter (0.5 points). Then, they brought a wonderful cold cucumber soup sweetened with something of roses.

Colette started off with microtomed pleurottes with salad leaves and a parsley squiggle alongside, quite good; and I had an incredible “flan” of foie gras with mushrooms and a “cappuccino” of them. Next, she had the panache of poisson with seaweed and eggplant and a fluffy sauce (he’s into that) and I the toasted quail with a mushroom (enoki this time) sauce that was boosted by some foie gras I’m sure.

Finally, I had the baba au rhum which was traditional and good and Colette the chocolate moelleux with ice cream. Then nummies and good coffee and we were out for 117.50 E.

Go? Indeed, but it ain’t Ledeuil, although it’s trying.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I always have a soft spot for places that serves bread with butter, it is so easy to do but many places even the very high end ones (here Ledoyen sticks out like a red sore thumb- I had to ask yet they forgot to bring it over) cannot be bothered or are too mean to provide butter.

Or maybe they can sense my bread-destroying abilities. At Josephine, Chez Dumonet my sister and I demolished three baskets of bread! And still ate a three course meal.

Passiflore is now on my to-do list.

8.5 Passiflore in the 16th - An Update on a one star with a 38 Euro luncheon.

A coupla months ago, my best food finder friend, Atar, told me he’d gone back to a place we'd had a half-dozen good meals at a while back, Passiflore in the 16th, and had the 38 (it says 35 in the Michelin but they lie) Euro menu at lunch and it was terrific.  Colette and I drifted by to scope the menu and decided it didn’t look interesting, but then Atar said he’d gone again and I was hooked.

Colette and I went today and were quite  impressed.  We entered between rain/sleet storms and were nicely greeted, but Colette missed the large vases of flowers she had enjoyed on our last visit.  We were seated at a very discrete distance from other tables (0.5 points) where we could talk - too often, in French restaurants, we find ourselves seated cheek by jowl with the other diners, even if there are only a few occupied tables within a larger space. 

They gave us the carte with the luncheon menu without our having to ask (0.5 points), put salt and pepper on the table without our having to ask (0.5 points) and served us their fine bread and butter (0.5 points).  Then, they brought a wonderful cold cucumber soup sweetened with something of roses.

Colette started off with microtomed  pleurottes with salad leaves and a parsley squiggle alongside, quite good; and I had an incredible “flan” of foie gras with mushrooms and a “cappuccino” of them.  Next, she had the panache of poisson with seaweed and eggplant and a fluffy sauce (he’s into that) and I the toasted quail with a mushroom (enoki this time) sauce that was boosted by some foie gras I’m sure.

Finally, I had the baba au rhum which was traditional and good and Colette the chocolate moelleux with ice cream.  Then nummies and good coffee and we were out for 117.50 E.

Go?  Indeed, but it ain’t Ledeuil, although it’s trying.

ITs been years since i have been to Passiflore.I am glad to note that he kept the same style of interesting modern cooking .Did you meet The chef?.He is very friendly. I'll be back