• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City, a fried chicken Mecca

joiei

So says Kent Rathbun of Jaspar's and Abacus fame in Dallas.

"It's something I've done since my days of cooking fried chicken at the Mansion," says Mr. Rathbun. "We do it as a convenience for the guests."

At least he leaves the wing bone attached to the breast, which positions the hunk of meat squarely between finger food and knife-and-fork fare. While I can certainly admire the propriety of the gesture, fried chicken, to me, is meant to be eaten in hand.

And this is one rewarding plate of chicken, some of the best I found on my search.

Mr. Rathbun's method, which he learned during his childhood in Kansas City, Mo. (one of the country's recognized fried chicken meccas), could hardly be more straightforward. Forgoing any marinade, he dredges the chicken pieces (breast, drumstick, thigh) twice in a flour mixture spiked only with salt, pepper and garlic salt, and then fries them in canola oil in a 22-inch cast-iron skillet. Once the chicken reaches a lustrous bronze, flour and whole milk are added to the emptied skillet and the remaining drippings to make gravy, which is finished with a splash of maple syrup. The three pieces are presented atop a mound of mashed potatoes with a restrained moat of the gravy underneath.

All of this comes from the DMN's restaurant critic Bill Addison.

I guess the next time I am up, I will have to start searching out the best fried chicken in my favorite get away city.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

If you find these places, let me know. I live an hour away from KCMO, and the only fried chicken "mecca" I can think of is Stroud's.

I always thought of KC as a barbeque mecca.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

If you find these places, let me know.  I live an hour away from KCMO, and the only fried chicken "mecca" I can think of is Stroud's.

Yes, please investigate and report back! :biggrin: I have to travel to KC twice this summer, and I'm ready to start making a list of food that must be eaten. I've never been to KC before, and I'm definitely looking forward to visiting.

If you find these places, let me know.  I live an hour away from KCMO, and the only fried chicken "mecca" I can think of is Stroud's.

DeVeaux,

Have you tried the Brookville Hotel in Abilene (right off of 70)? Great chicken there though the cole slaw is too sweet for my taste.

Frog

DeVeaux,

Have you tried the Brookville Hotel in Abilene (right off of 70)? Great chicken there though the cole slaw is too sweet for my taste.

Frog

Yes - we used to take my daughter there for her birthday dinner when she was going to K-State. I like Brookville. They used to cater the All-Masonic banquet during Grand Lodge at the Bicentennial Center in Salina, too, so we always ate their chicken at least once a year.

Abilene hardly qualifies as KCMO, though.

I guess the next time I am up, I will have to start searching out the best fried chicken in my favorite get away city.

I got a book called "Day Trips from Kansas City" for Christmas. In that book it calls Pittsburgh, KS the fried chicken capitol of the Midwest. I've not been there but the book highly recommends

Barto's Idle Hour,201 S Santa Fe in Fronternac

Chicken Annie's, 1143 E 600th Ave

Chicken Mary's, 1133 E 600th Ave

Gebhardt Chicken Dinners, 124 North 260th St

Pinchler's Chicken Annie's, 1271 S 220th St

Gotta be closer to you than KC, I may have to take a road trip to the South just to check out the chicken

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Mrs. Peters (4960 State Ave in KCK) is part of the legacy, although I've not been. And one other quite famous one that I'm drawing a blank on. Charles Ferruzza has written abon this topic often - I will research and get back with you.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Mrs. Peters (4960 State Ave in KCK) is part of the legacy, although I've not been.  And one other quite famous one that I'm drawing a blank on.  Charles Ferruzza has written abon this topic often - I will research and get back with you.

AS I recall, Mrs. Peters has been closed for years. I haven't heard of it recently having re-opened.