• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KC 40sard, michealsmith, T.A.R.

CavePullum

Dear Heartlanders & KC-folks,

I will be in KC one a Sunday and a Monday night. I would like to host a small family dinner at a top KC table (price no object) and am dutifully doing my research.... and I can't decide, so I pose the question to you.

My first choice would be bluestem, but they are not open for dinner Sun/Mon, and the dates cannot be changed. I have gleaned the following names from your previous posts and am hereby requesting your additional comments and knowledgable recommendations:

1. 40 Sard OR michael smith OR The American Restaurant (OR other special occasion place)?

2. Is bringing your own bottle (a VERY nice bottle) an issue with either place (I would be buying one bottle from them -champs- and bringing one of my own)?

On a side note, I would love steak place recommendations, but I hear all the great beef from the area is wet-aged in the local restos... and I'm a bit spoiled by an 8-week dry-age experience at Bern's a year ago (sigh)

Thanks to all who comment..... cavepullum

CavePullum:

1. Of the three you name, I'd put 40 Sardines at the top of your list, for a number of reasons - the main one being that I *think* it is the only one of the three that is BYOB. (Can anyone back me up on this one?). However, 40 Sardines is probably the least formal of the three, in case you are looking for a refined, linen-lined experience.

2. Other fine dining "special occasion" restaurants that you might consider (from the top of my head) are Krause Dining in Lawrence, Kansas; Cassis in Overland Park (near 40 Sardines); Starker's Reserve on the Plaza; JJ's on the Plaza (best known for their wine list). I've roughly ordered these from the most refined to the least refined, in terms of food, service, and feel.

3. For good food, not necessarily fine dining, I'd offer Justus Drugstore, up in Smithville. It's a bit of a trek, but the food certainly is good. I'm not sure if they allow BYOB, but their wine list is so fun, I'm not sure you'd want to bring your own bottle (of very good wine) to here. I've also enjoyed meals at Lidia's in the Crossroad's District; it's the closest thing to authentic Italian I've been able to find in this city.

4. Steakhouses: You are correct. You'd THINK that the once-home to the nation's largest stockyard would have more dry-aged meat available. But, I can't think of any local steakhouses that offer a wide selection of fine, dry-aged beef. I know I've seen dry-aged cuts of beef offered here and there - The Majestic Steakhouse, being one of them. Le Fou Frog also has one of the finest dry-aged filets I've had in town (albeit, the rest of their menu I find to be rather unreliable). Then, of course, there are the chains: Ruth's Chris, Morton's, and The Capital Grille - all of which peddle some amount of dry-aged meat. I don't know where you're from, but I say, if you can readily get dry-aged beef there, don't waste your time or money with what is offered here. Enjoy other famous Kansas City great eats, like BBQ (e.g. Arthur Bryant's, LC's, or, my favorite, Oklahoma Joe's.).

5. It warrants mentioning that, bluestem IS open for Sunday brunch. The brunch food, from what I understand, isn't representative of his dinner food, but to the extent that it is high quality and beautifully presented food, I have not a doubt.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Unless things have changed very recently, 40 Sardines is the only place open Sunday night. The American, Bluestem and Michael Smith are all closed Sunday nights; Bluestem and Michael Smith are both closed Monday nights.

Starker's Reserve would be a very good Monday night choice.

All of the above are such good places, let us know where you end up!

Edited by maftoul (log)

That is sad news indeed :sad:

I am really quite devastated. Despite its weaknesses and imperfections (which every restaurant has), it was definitely one of the better restaurants in our city.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com