• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extended stay in the Champagne region

Mirandar

Hello!

I have dreams of opening a champagne and other bubbles bar someday in the future, and as much as I read about it, I think that the only way to try to really become qualified to have a buisness in which I spread the bubble-love is to go and really dig my hands into the champagne-making world. I'd love to work on a vineyard-- harvest, whatever! Anything to get past a tourist-y view and really get my hands dirty. I'd be happy to work just for room and board, and stay a while, too. Does anyone have any insight about how to go about setting this up for myself?

Thank you so much!

I do speak a little--i've taken a lot, but I'm not fluent. I understand and can get by, but I can't keep up with fast conversation. I'd plan to brush up a lot before going though! So you're experience was that it was fairly simple to pull off?

Absolutely. Winemakers are some of the most open people and love people who are engaged and enthusiastic about what they're doing. As long as you don't try to grapple with a big house (and really, I don't think they're "better" in any case), you should have no problem at all.

What are some of your favorite grower champagnes?

I'm afraid that the state of my finances hasn't allowed me to taste very many of them yet, so I don't really feel like I can say that I have a favorite, as I only have tried a few. One that really stands out in my mind is Gatinois Tradition Brut Grand Cru that I tried around Christmas, it was savory and salty and delicious!

i'd love you know more about your experience! What made you want to do that and what did you think of the growers you you worked with?