• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restaurants of 08

Nathan

• 6 months later...

Susur Lee's restaurant Shang is opening in a few days according to the Globe and Mail today:

On Saturday morning, the scream of buzz saws rips through the tranquil dining room of Susur Lee's New York outpost.

With only 2½ days remaining before the city's tastemakers get their first taste of Mr. Lee's cuisine at a Gourmet magazine party celebrating the chef's arrival, workmen in heavy boots are still painting walls, carting glassware and hauling furniture into Shang, the restaurant on the second floor of the trendy Thompson LES hotel. The kitchen still has no gas.

Susur Lee is supposedly opening a place on (surprise, surprise) The Lower East Side by the fall.

James Chatto's blog from Toronto Life Magazine>>

Cheers,

Anne

Yes, I should have read more carefully before quoting. Oh well, I'm from the wilds of Vancouver.
The party already occurred.

The opening is still a few weeks away.

I believe that Dec. 8th is the anticipated date of opening to the public. I will have to find a way at some point thereafter to get down there.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

George Mendes, formerly of Wallsé, Tocqueville and Bouley has found his space after two years of searching for the right one. His anticipated opening is September, which would likely mean that he won't be in charge of the prep kitchen at the Starchefs International Chefs Congress this year, though that is an assumption on my part. Food will likely be creative Iberian and French inspired.

Unfortunately, George won't be opening until February at the earliest. I guess that makes it my most anticipated opening of 2009.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Most often then not, anyone who builds a restaurant from scratch, will face inevitable delays..... After usual long lease negotiations, which can and do fall through, there are design and engineering issues, obtaining various permits from the NYC dept of buildings, ( the hardest, most lengthy process ) , approval for a liquor license, the list goes on and on. We set goals and push to meet them.

Most often then not, anyone who builds a restaurant from scratch, will face inevitable delays..... After usual long lease negotiations, which can and do fall through, there are design and engineering issues, obtaining various permits from the NYC dept of buildings, ( the hardest, most lengthy process ) , approval for a liquor license,  the list goes on and on. We set goals and push to meet them.

No doubt those are huge problems which seem to be magnified in NYC. It is a difficult, expensive and risky enough process as it is, all this can not help. In the meantime, I am waiting patiently for Aldea, George's restaurant.

Twitter - @docsconz