• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restaurants of 08

Nathan

obvious possibilities:

Ko.

Sheridan Square (Robbins was terrific at the Biltmore Room and apparently the only good thing about the new RTR).

Bistro Benoit

Ippudo

Ago (though it's a chain restaurant and the menus at the other branches are pretty passe for NY...but it will certainly be a scene)

the Leibrandt project (though I don't see this happening before 09)

the Trotter project (ditto)

Edited by Nathan (log)

Bar Milano - 24th and 3rd. The Dentons have a huge hand in this, and I'm hoping for a a northern Italian Otto/Lupa cross...though it would be nice if it doesn't become the (most of the time) zoo that Otto is.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Bar Milano - 24th and 3rd.  The Dentons have a huge hand in this, and I'm hoping for a a northern Italian Otto/Lupa cross...though it would be nice if it doesn't become the (most of the time) zoo that Otto is.

Second Bar Milano. Tony Abou-Ganim heads up the cocktail program: The goal with Bar Milano, he told me, is to serve "great Northern Italian food with a great wine program and great cocktails. After all, a well-made libation should be part of the whole dining experience.” In other words, look forward to a damn good Negroni.

Tony's from the DeGroff school (they're old friends I believe). although they were practically the only ones carrying the torch for many years, the places they consult at now tend not to be up to contemporary standards (using jiggers etc.)...but here's hoping.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Tony's from the DeGroff school (they're old friends I believe).  although they were practically the only ones carrying the torch for many years, the places they consult at now tend not to be up to contemporary standards (using jiggers etc.)...but here's hoping.

Of course by "contemporary standards" you mean standards that went out of fashion for decades and were only revived because bartenders like DeGroff and Abou-Ganim never let them die. That's why I'm looking forward to Bar Milano. "Bar" is in the name-always a good sign...

Edited by Miami Danny (log)

Susur Lee is supposedly opening a place on (surprise, surprise) The Lower East Side by the fall.

James Chatto's blog from Toronto Life Magazine>>

Add Susur to Paul Liebrandt and the restaurant coming from George Mendes, the extremely talented former chef de cuisine at Toqueville to my most anticipated restaurants coming to NYC. Hopefully they will all open in 2008.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It does take awhile for these things to happen, doesn't it. I would rather see them open when they are ready and not rushed, no matter how impatient I may be.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

It does take awhile for these things to happen, doesn't it. I would rather see them open when they are ready and not rushed, no matter how impatient I may be.

The restaurants try to open as fast as they possibly can. Usually it's things like licenses, permits and construction delays that hold them back.

George Mendes, formerly of Wallsé, Tocqueville and Bouley has found his space after two years of searching for the right one. His anticipated opening is September, which would likely mean that he won't be in charge of the prep kitchen at the Starchefs International Chefs Congress this year, though that is an assumption on my part. Food will likely be creative Iberian and French inspired.

Another interesting opening planned for NYC is that of Chef Miguel Sanchez Romera, the neurologist cum chef who apparently has closed his unique and beautiful restaurant L'Esguard in Catalunya to concentrate on opening his restaurant in NY. Though I have not seen nor heard of a planned date or even location, the closure of L'Esguard would seem to indicate that it will likely be some time this year. It will be interesting to see how new Yorkers take to his food. I had a great meal at L'Esguard approximately one year ago.

Twitter - @docsconz

Had the chef been maintaining his neurology practice, too?

Actually, I believe that he has been several days/week. He was not at the restaurant while I was there, but apparently does devote quite a lot of time to it. For fairly obvious reasons, I am particularly intrigued by the dichotomy of his existence and the quality of his food. I can not attest to his neurological acumen and skills, though. :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

Actually, I believe that he has been several days/week. He was not at the restaurant while I was there, but apparently does devote quite a lot of time to it. For fairly obvious reasons, I am particularly intrigued by the dichotomy of his existence and the quality of his food. I can not attest to his neurological acumen and skills, though. :wink:

fwiw, pim called it one of her worst meals ever...

http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2008/03/lesguard-quite.html

fwiw, pim called it one of her worst meals ever...

http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2008/03/lesguard-quite.html

She and David Kinch were in Spain at around the same time last year that I was. It was interesting to note that we had polar opposite opinions on a few meals. Go figure! That is one of the things that keeps life interesting. Romera's cooking is truly unique. It might resonate with some and not with others or it might simply be a function of off days or off nights for the restaurant or the diner. I respect Pim's and David's opinions, but I respect my own as well. It works for me. :laugh:

Twitter - @docsconz

along with paul liebrandt, suser lee, george mendes, what about the new avroko/public project.

I'm not familiar with it. Can you tell us more?

Twitter - @docsconz