• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paul Prudhomme is a lucky man

FistFullaRoux

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03...by_falling.html

Noted New Orleans chef Paul Prudhomme was setting up his cooking tent on the practice range at the Zurich Classic of New Orleans golf tournament Tuesday about 9:30 a.m. when he felt a sting in his right arm, right above his elbow.

Prudhomme shook his clothing, and a .22 caliber bullet fell from his shirt to the ground, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.

So a random bullet falls from the sky and hits the man. He shrugs it off and continues cooking. I like the guy. He nearly became the third Louisiana restaurant owner to die in the last few days (see Al Copeland from Popeye's and other places and Miss Goldie from Mulate's)

They say things happen in threes, and I hope this one counts. I'd hate to see anything happen to anyone else.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Its interesting because I see him every year at the Fancy Food Shows and he has always looked in such poor health. However, the rotund man we all remember from TV is no more. For at least the past three years, he has been relatively thin and confined to his motorized cart. I always assumed it was a tummy staple.

I found an article for 1993 that says he weighed 390 and was already on the scooter to save wear and tear on his knees.

A 2005 story on CBS said "Now 65, Prudhomme has slimmed down from 560 pounds to just 220."

220 is about what I'm used to seeing him as. So it seems he's doing more than waiting for luck.

I'm glad that he's okay. In this day and age of rude, spittle spewing, swearing celebrity chefs he's always seemed friendly, ready and willing to laugh at himself and focus on his love of food...coddling an egg instead of an overinflated ego, if you will. :smile:

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks