• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any great bakeries in Eugene?

We enjoy the breads at the Pearl bakery and Ken's in Portland, so when my youngest began her studies in Eugene, she missed those biga and levain-based crusty beauties. To date, she has not found adequate substitutes, so I would like to hear from locals where she can source some delicious breads. Thanks.

Have her try Hideaway Bakery, 3377 East Amazon, behind Mazzi's Italian Restaurant. Phone number is (541) 868-1982.

They've got an amazing wood-fired oven and bake beautiful organic breads.

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

The Hideaway is especially good on weekends. They only have potato donuts on Saturday and Sunday.

The Sweet Life is another local place that is doing handcrafted pasteries etc, well worth the trip.

The last is Eugene City Bakery, actually located close to campus. They have recently changed hands. I bought a lot of their bread last summer since they have a booth at the local Farmers Market.

Not bad for a little place like Eugene to have three local places.