• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manhattan Bachelor Party: Which Restaurant?

Kaunteya

We (10 guys) are going down to Manhattan from Montreal mid-April to throw bachelor party for one not so fortunate bachelor. I am a chef here in Montreal, so only expect the best. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a restaurant where we could be loud and have a great time.

I was thinking about Momofuko Noodle Bar, The Spotted Pig, or a great steak house (none that I know of). We are looking to spend around $120-140/head, hopefully your best man only marries once.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

I think obvious (too obvious?) answer is Robert's. Not sure if it's fallen off since Adam Perry Lang left, but I feel like it's an only in NYC experience.

You could go pretty wild at Ssam bar for $120/person. Definitely do the bo ssam and order pretty much the entire menu. They can fit you in the back.

A bit classier would be like Craftsteak or something. Doesn't look like you're looking for fine-dining, so that knocks out a lot of contenders and otherwise board favorites.

With that budget you should be able to have a pretty solid time.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

Well, given you're looking at mid-April for a big party, I'd doubt you'd be able to get into Luger's w/o going at an off time. If you can get in, you can definitely be loud there and it's the best (Porterhouse) steak in town. As long as you don't mind spending part of your night in Williamsburgh away from (what I imagine) is the rest of the nights festivities.

Sparks is a good choice -- loud, macho, good steaks, and definitely home to many a bachelor party.

Robert's (in case you haven't figured it out yet), is in the Penthouse Club, and received a solid review from the Times

http://events.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/dinin...se+steak&st=nyt

Review is particularly amusing given the reviews lack of appreciation of the "scenery"

Edited by jon777 (log)

Definitely Robert's, because you can go directly to getting pretty depraved there without a limo ride in between.

in Lieu of the bo ssam at Ssam bar, and if you want your Adam Perry Lang, do the big pig gig at Daisy Mae's, which is on the same block as Penthouse/Robert's, and THEN go to Penthouse

Definitely Robert's, because you can go directly to getting pretty depraved there without a limo ride in between.

in Lieu of the bo ssam at Ssam bar, and if you want your Adam Perry Lang, do the big pig gig at Daisy Mae's, which is on the same block as Penthouse/Robert's, and THEN go to Penthouse

I like your thinking :biggrin:

Ate at Robert's a few months ago and the steaks were great, the sides were passable and the entertainment was....great.

Also ate at Daisy May's recently and had the Big Pig Gig and it is a really fun time. And it's BYO Beer/Liquor so that's a huge plus too.

Edited by flinflon28 (log)

The Bo Ssam is essentially the same thing as Daisy Mae's whole Pork Butt (which Adam won national contest with) plus wraps. Some masochist/gourmand should attempt both in one day, stopping at the big apple BBQ on the way because it is precisely in between

Edited by raji (log)

I think obvious (too obvious?) answer is Robert's.  Not sure if it's fallen off since Adam Perry Lang left, but I feel like it's an only in NYC experience.

You could go pretty wild at Ssam bar for $120/person.  Definitely do the bo ssam and order pretty much the entire menu.  They can fit you in the back.

A bit classier would be like Craftsteak or something.  Doesn't look like you're looking for fine-dining, so that knocks out a lot of contenders and otherwise board favorites.

With that budget you should be able to have a pretty solid time.

Don't eat at Craftsteak unless you like paying through the nose for a salt infusion.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

SPARKS SPARKS SPARKS...IF YOU WANT THE ROYAL TREATMENT LIST YOUR E-MAIL AND I WILL HELP YOU OUT. SPARKS CAN ALSO GET YOU INTO ANY STRIP CLUB YOU WANT ON THE ARM...

"I bid you peace, until we meet again"

~Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith

We (10 guys) are going down to Manhattan from Montreal mid-April to throw bachelor party for one not so fortunate bachelor.  I am a chef here in Montreal, so only expect the best.  I was wondering if anyone could recommend a restaurant where we could be loud and have a great time.

I was thinking about Momofuko Noodle Bar, The Spotted Pig, or a great steak house (none that I know of).  We are looking to spend around $120-140/head, hopefully your best man only marries once.

Thanks

Wait, you're coming FROM Montreal TO NYC for a bachelor party? Wow, that's like the people who live in Manhattan but commute to NJ for work.....

We (10 guys) are going down to Manhattan from Montreal mid-April to throw bachelor party for one not so fortunate bachelor.  I am a chef here in Montreal, so only expect the best.  I was wondering if anyone could recommend a restaurant where we could be loud and have a great time.

I was thinking about Momofuko Noodle Bar, The Spotted Pig, or a great steak house (none that I know of).  We are looking to spend around $120-140/head, hopefully your best man only marries once.

Thanks

Wait, you're coming FROM Montreal TO NYC for a bachelor party? Wow, that's like the people who live in Manhattan but commute to NJ for work.....

civic/reputational reputations are weird things. when I lived in Canada (and visited Montreal) I knew of it as a bit of college town but never thought of it as a party town. when I moved to NY I discovered that people here think of it as sort of a northern New Orleans or Tampa.

Thanks

civic/reputational reputations are weird things. when I lived in Canada (and visited Montreal) I knew of it as a bit of college town but never thought of it as a party town (though Hull (a Quebec suburb of Ottawa) was always famous for its strip clubs). when I moved to NY I discovered that people here think of it as sort of a northern New Orleans or Tampa (edit for confused Yankees: Tampa is known throughout the South as having the best strip clubs).

Edited by Nathan (log)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Well most of the guys are coming down from Montreal. The Bachelor lives in Baltimore, several guys in Boston, and one from Chicago. Basically we picked NY cause it is in the middle.

So Roberts it is. What about Blue Ribbon Oyster? We are not going to visit any strip clubs (I know what you are all thinking, we are NOT GAY, but my best mate refuses to do that). One guy who live in Manhattan is choosing the club/lounge/bar. However again any suggestions would be appreciated for clubs.

The day after the party we are heading to China Town for dim sum, I don't know the name of the place but it is up an escalator, and the room in HUGE. I went there couple of years ago and loved it.

My e-mail is Kaunteya@hotmail.com

Thanks guys

Dim sum, you're going to Jing Fong. Nothing wrong with that as long as you go early enough.

I guess you didn't know - Robert's Steakhouse is a great steakhouse located inside and on the 2nd floor of the Penthouse Executive Club which is a big strip club on the west side. You can see the stage from up there, but it's pretty self-contained. If you are not going to strip clubs then no reason to go to Robert's, although I would still suggest it as a great steak. It's a frickin' bachelor party you pansies.

The Blue Ribbons are all great, I'd suggest you give Shaffer City a try.

PM me about clubs/lounges.

I would second Robert's simply for the location even though I've never eaten there.

Apologies. Being a girl, I completely forgot what Robert's is when I suggested Luger's. With strippers not a consideration, I'd go back to that (if you can get in) and certainly second Sparks.

looks to me like Robert's is still a great idea since it's a nice backdoor way to get them proximate to a striphouse without actually violating one member's wishes...

clubs/bars are iffy for that number of guys....I suppose some serious bottle-purchasing would come in handy.

looks to me like Robert's is still a great idea since it's a nice backdoor way to get them proximate to a striphouse without actually violating one member's wishes...

clubs/bars are iffy for that number of guys....I suppose some serious bottle-purchasing would come in handy.

I've never been to Robert's, but in Bruni's review, he talks about strippers coming to his table and offering him lap dances while he ate, so is there really a way to avoid having strippers show up at the table?

Michael aka "Pan"

Uh yeah it's really easy, just hide your cash and let the alpha stripper know that it's off limits, or all you've ot is traveler's checks or something like that...

Honestly tho, this is not so much of a service foul ; it's not like they're trying to bus your table or anything