• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CSA farm shares in RI/SE MA?

I'm in the market for a CSA farm share. It seems to be a good idea for my family (2 adults, 2 small children), but I don't know what to expect in terms of what the farms provide, how frequently, how much it costs, and how to get in on it. Figured someone here must have information on this -- I'm in Barrington, RI, and am willing to travel a bit to get my share, but traveling too far seems to defeat the purpose a little, right?

Thanks for any information/thoughs on this!

Kkeym

Farm Fresh RI is the best source for information. We've had very variable experiences with several CSAs in RI: lots of very predictable stuff (lettuce, zucchini, and the like 'til the cows come home) and some spotty quality. In the end, we've opted for the farmers' markets instead.

However, given where you're located, you'll have some possibilities closer to home than we have (in South Providence). If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I somewhat vaguely recall a RI Monthly article on CSA's from last summer, comparing produce and experiences and maybe costs. If your library doesn't have a copy I can search over here (S Kingstown.)

Jennifer