• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Budget Boston Bites

CharityCase

Hi,

I'll be hitting your town the weekend of April 12th and I'm staying at the Radisson downtown. I'm not going to have too much leisure time on account of work but I do need to fit in a saturday dinner and a Sunday lunch. I was in Boston exactly once in the last 10 years and I didn't think ahead to where to eat so this time I'm hoping I can lean on you for help.

I'm on a pretty tight budget so high-end things aren't really doable. I won't be entertaining others so I'm fine with cramped shacks and sitting at the bar. I kind of like commotion instead of quiet come to think of it :)

Here in Ottawa we have way way way too much middle eastern food so I'd prefer something a little different (and having seen many recommendations for Oleana I thought I'd mention that). But as your fair city is reputed for seafood I figure that'd be good.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I'll be hitting your town the weekend of April 12th and I'm staying at the Radisson downtown. I'm not going to have too much leisure time on account of work but I do need to fit in a saturday dinner and a Sunday lunch. I was in Boston exactly once in the last 10 years and I didn't think ahead to where to eat so this time I'm hoping I can lean on you for help.

I'm on a pretty tight budget so high-end things aren't really doable. I won't be entertaining others so I'm fine with cramped shacks and sitting at the bar. I kind of like commotion instead of quiet come to think of it :)

Here in Ottawa we have way way way too much middle eastern food so I'd prefer something a little different (and having seen many recommendations for Oleana I thought I'd mention that). But as your fair city is reputed for seafood I figure that'd be good.

Any suggestions?

Neptune Oyster in the North End!

Best oysters in the city!

Summer Shack for seafood. Great oysters. Downtown near the convention center or out in Alewife at the end of the red line for the full show at the flagship. Silvertone downtown for good eats, open late. China Pearl in Chinatown for dim sum. Central Kitchen in Cambridge for great food and wine with a great bar to eat at. Hungry Mother in cambridge, new, great, cool. Run with that

Hi,

Any suggestions?

What does "tight budget" mean?

It means that I have a per diem (good) but that I work for a charity (bad...rather good but also bad) AND I'm getting married in a few months (terrible...as in terrible for the pocketbook). So I'd like to keep my lunches to $10 - $20 and my dinners to $30 excluding a beer or two.

Thanks for the other reco's folks!

• 3 weeks later...

I gave Penang a try tonight. It was packed, I took that as a good sign.

It was pretty solid, the roti canai was fresh and satisfying but the Prawn mee was...so so. The pork and shrimp were past their prime and the broth was too sweet for my tastes.

I walked past Bukowski's but the huge banner turned me off of it. I may try that tomorrow though I'll be in Cambridge for most of the day so perhaps I'll try some of your recos for that area.