• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Apple Barbecue Block Party 2008

johnder

Mark your calendars now - the Big Apple BBQ dates for 2008 have been posted on theirwebsite.

No other details yet aside from the date: June 7th and 8th.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

The website has been updated, pitmasters this year include:

Blue Smoke

Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q

17th Street Bar & Grill

Mitchell’s BBQ

Ubon’s “Champion’s Choice”

The Salt Lick BBQ

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

Black Jack BBQ

Hill Country

Rack & Soul

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I suppose they will negotiate/announce more vendors. Last year there were 15 total. 8 not from NYC. At least I can rest, knowing that Chris Lilly, Mike Mills, and Ed Mitchell will be back.

Blue Smoke - Did chicken last year. I think ribs the year before.

Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q - Pulled pork shoulder. This is a must eat item. Bow down to Chris Lilly.

17th Street Bar & Grill - Baby back ribs. Delicious. Popular. Another must eat. I also bow down to Mike Mills.

Mitchell’s BBQ - Thank the lord for Ed Mitchell's whole hog. I ate 3 of these last year in one day.

Ubon's - Pulled pork shoulder last year.

The Salt Lick BBQ - Perennially popular brisket and sausage. I liked Southside's brisket and sausage better last year (where is Southside?! I hope they come back!). Comes with an unusual sauce. Long lines. Ask for a fattier cut (from the deckle).

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que - Pulled pork last year.

Black Jack BBQ - Also pulled pork.

Hill Country - Beef ribs last year.

Rack & Soul - Baby back ribs last year.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

No Southside Market sausage? You're killing me! That said, I did buy my fast pass...if you have an AMEX they are on sale now. Haven't missed a block party yet : )

Edited by picaman (log)

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I've never been, but I'm hoping to go this year. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on me purchasing one card and sharing the rewards and food with two other people. Will it be enough food? Am I going to tick others off with this approach? Is it worth it?

always-eating.com

Will you go one day or two? Plenty of people share cards (especially families), but only two people are allowed in the Fast Pass line area per card. Basically, they close down the streets around Madison Square Park, and put the serving area in the middle of the street. The area between the pits and the park is the Fast Pass Area.

I find that the Fast Pass card is enough for two people for two days because we usually get sides, desserts, and beverages in addition to BBQ. And we usually run out, and end up paying cash partway through the second day, as they still let you in the Fast Pass area even if your card is spent. Plates of BBQ run $8. Desserts and sides are $4. The plates of BBQ are not huge (check Flickr for example shots from last year's festival).

Keep in mind that if you're an AMEX Card holder, and get in on the pre-sale, you pay $100 for a $100 value card (approximately 12 plates of BBQ). If you're buying in the normal sale, you'll pay $100 for a $84 value card (approximately 10 plates of BBQ) -- at least this was the deal last year.

thanks for the info. I plan to go Sunday as I will be at the Belmont Stakes on Saturday. I am an AMEX customer and would get the $100 card. My plan was to just grab food to share with 3-4 people, including myself. Sounds like that would work from your description.

Thanks

always-eating.com

Ah, Mitchell's Bar-B-Que. :wub: I just ordered a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker with the faint hope that I could recreate a version of this fabulous stuff at home. :unsure:

These are some photos I took of the '05 Block Party, though I know there are far better photos on ImageGullet:

Mitchell's at Big Apple BBQ 2005

Previous eG threads:

2007 (my photos are in there somewhere)

Get there earlier rather than later (noon or so if you plan to stay all day). The popular vendors will probably run out of food by the end of the day. The vendors try to anticipate demand but keep in mind that they did their best guess of demand many hours ago. BBQ takes hours and hours to smoke.

Get a map of the vendors ASAP when you get there. Figure out where the out of town pitmasters are. Don't eat the bread, it takes up valuable space. Sides are sometimes worth it. Bring wet naps or wipes. Don't wear anything you're too attached to.

If they set up the beer garden around the fountain again, it will be a huge bottleneck to walk through....patience. Patience. Bring a blanket so you can eat on the grass.

The 2nd day will always be better than the first because it's staffed entirely by volunteers. Logistical kinks tend to get worked out on the first day.

Weather, of course, will greatly influence the crowds.

Edited by kathryn (log)

• 1 month later...

Uh-oh. This just in from Newyorkology.com

There are only 2,000 Fast Passes and you can only get them with American Express. That's right.

ONLY AMEX holders can buy Fast Passes.

No, you could buy $100 value Fast Passes for $100 as an AMEX member during the first sale, and you could buy reduced Fast Passes ($84 value for $100) as a non-AMEX member during the second sale. And you could also buy them on-site.

Edited by kathryn (log)

Here's the latest information, from the event organizers:

THE 6th ANNUAL BIG APPLE BARBECUE BLOCK PARTY RETURNS TO NYC! 

June 7 – 8, 2008

Noon – 6:00 PM

Madison Square Park

Join us for a weekend-long celebration of mouthwatering barbecue from the country’s top pitmasters, live music, seminars and thousands of ’cue enthusiasts. 

www.bigapplebbq.org

WHAT’S COOKIN’

The Snapple Big Apple Barbecue Block Party offers mouthwatering barbecue, authentic Southern specialties, down-home desserts and a bevy of beverages!  Check out Who’s Cookin’ this year (we’ll keep you posted as the list grows): 

Kenny Callaghan

Blue Smoke, New York, NY

www.bluesmoke.com 

Chris Lilly

Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q, Decatur, AL

http://www.bigbobgibson.com/ 

Mike Mills

17th Street Bar & Grill, Memphis Championship Barbecue

http://www.memphis-bbq.com/ 

Ed Mitchell

The Pit, Raleigh, NC

www.thepit-raleigh.com 

Garry Roark

Ubon’s “Champion’s Choice,” Yazoo City, MS

http://ubons.net/

Michael Rodriguez

The Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood, TX

http://www.saltlickbbq.com 

John Stage

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, New York, NY

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

Jimmy Hagood

Black Jack BBQ, Charleston, SC

http://www.foodforthesouthernsoul.com/

Marc Glosserman

Hill Country, New York, NY

http://www.hillcountryny.com 

John Wheeler

Rack & Soul, New York, NY

http://www.rackandsoul.com/ 

Tommy Houston

Checkered Pig, Martinsville, VA

www.checkeredpig.com 

Jonathan Burrows

Mr. Cecil’s California Ribs, Los Angeles, CA

http://www.mrcecilscaliforniaribs.com/ 

Joe Duncan

Baker’s Ribs, Garland, TX

www.bakersribs.com 

Sides:

John Clary, Proclamation Stew Crew

Lawrenceville, VA

John Currence

City Grocery, Oxford, MS

GET YOUR FASTPASS!

American Express Cardmembers: Want your ’cue faster? Click here to purchase a FastPass! https://ecommerce.custcon.com/Selection.asp...18-9ec969167ea9

What is a Fast Pass? 

* Provides Cardmembers® with a $100 retail value redeemable for food, beverage & merchandise.

* Guarantees exclusive access to express lines for holder plus one to all food and beverage purveyors.

Terms and conditions apply.

MUSIC AND SEMINARS

The event features an outstanding music lineup including Country, Soul, Rock & Roll, and New Orleans Funk by an eclectic array of artists – all live and free!

We hope you’ll also join in the seminars and cooking demonstrations with your favorite ’cue experts – all free and available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Be sure to visit www.bigapplebbq.org in mid-May for all the details. 

SPONSORS

Snapple

American Express

Every Day with Rachael Ray

W Hotels

JetBlue Airways

Bank of America

Coca-Cola

Texas Pete

Brown-Forman

City of New York Parks & Recreation

NYC & Company

The Big Apple Barbecue Block Party is proud to support the Madison Square Park Conservancy. (www.madisonsquarepark.org)

www.bigapplebbq.org

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Latest updated information:

THE COUNTDOWN TO THE

SNAPPLE BIG APPLE BARBECUE BLOCK PARTY IS ON

FASTPASSES ON SALE THROUGH MAY 30!

Mark Your Calendars for June 7 and 8, 2008

May 19, 2008, New York - Get ready for the sights, sounds, smells, and delicious flavors of New York City's favorite barbecue event. Union Square Hospitality Group, Blue Smoke and Jazz Standard proudly announce the Snapple Big Apple Barbecue Block Party (BABBP), to be held on June 7th and 8th, 2008, from 12-6pm. Join us in beautiful Madison Square Park and surrounding streets for another unforgettable weekend of award-winning barbecue, live music, seminars, demos, merchandise and more! Proceeds this year will once again benefit the Madison Square Park Conservancy, supporting the park's horticulture, maintenance, and year-round cultural offerings.

FASTPASS

Want to skip the longest lines? Purchase a FastPass, providing exclusive access for the bearer and one guest to express lines.  This year's FastPass punch card is available for $100/pass, exclusively to American Express Card Holders.  FastPasses can be used to purchase food, drink and merchandise (except for books).  FastPasses are on sale online at www.bigapplebbq.org only through May 30th. 

BARBECUE

This year's event will host 14 of the nation's top pitmasters. The 2008 lineup will showcase their unique, award-winning regional barbecue styles, including new additions from Virginia, California and Connecticut. Pitmasters and menu include:

* Ken Callaghan, Blue Smoke, New York, NY

o Kansas City Ribs & Pickles

* Jonathan Burrows, Mr. Cecil's, Los Angeles, CA (New!)

o Beef Ribs & Cucumber, Tomato Salad

* Pete Daversa, Hill Country, New York, NY

o Beef Ribs & Beans

* Joe Duncan, Baker's Ribs, Dallas, TX

o Beef Brisket & Coleslaw

* Tommy Houston, Checkered Pig, Martinsville, VA (New!)

o Chopped Pork Sandwich & Coleslaw

* Jimmy Hagood, BlackJack BBQ, Charleston, SC

o Pulled Pork Shoulder & Coleslaw

* Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q, Decatur, AL

o Pulled Pork Shoulder & Beans

* Mike Mills, 17th Street Bar & Grill, Murphysboro, IL & Memphis Championship Barbecue, Las Vegas, NV

o Baby Back Ribs & Beans

* Ed Mitchell, The Pit, Raleigh, NC

o Whole Hog & Coleslaw

* Garry Roark, Ubon's "Champion's Choice," Yazoo, MS

o Pulled Pork Shoulder & Coleslaw

* Michael Rodriguez, The Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood, TX

o Beef Brisket, Sausage & Coleslaw

* John Stage, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, New York, NY

o Pulled Pork Shoulder & Beans

* John Wheeler, Rack & Soul, New York, NY

o Baby Back Ribs & Beans

* Ed Wilson, Wilson's Barbeque, Fairfield, CT (New!)

o Texas Style Brisket & Coleslaw

Each plate of barbecue will be $8.

SIDES, BEVERAGES AND DESSERTS

Round out your 'cue with a side of Stewmaster John Clary's Brunswick Stew from Proclamation Stew Crew in Lawrenceville, Virginia, or Smoked Crawfish and Okra Hush Puppies from John Currence's famed City Grocery in Oxford, Mississippi. Sides will be $4 each.

Finish on a sweet note with desserts from Blue Smoke Pastry Chef Jennifer Giblin, including Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes, Double Chocolate Brownies and Root Beer Floats (all $4 each), or indulge in treats from Wildwood Barbeque Pastry Chef Elizabeth Katz, including S'mores ($2 each) and Bourbon Banana Nilla Wafer Pudding ($4 each).

SEMINARS AND COOKING DEMOS

For those who can't get enough 'cue, the Snapple Big Apple Barbecue Block Party will offer fantastic seminars and demos with some of the country's most renowned barbecue experts - all free and onsite under the Every Day with Rachael Ray Seminar Tent on East 25th Street.

Coming from all over the country to chat and demo 'cue all weekend long, this year's barbecue experts and seminars include:

* John T. Edge, Gourmet contributing editor, and author of award-winning books including A Gracious Plenty: Recipes and Recollections from the American South.

* Lolis Eric Elie, New Orleans' Times-Picayune columnist, and author of Smokestack Lightning: Adventures in the Heart of Barbecue Country.

* Dotty Griffith, former food editor and restaurant critic for The Dallas Morning News, and author of Celebrating Barbecue: The Ultimate Guide to America's 4 Regional Styles of 'Cue.

* Peter Kaminsky, food writer, "hamthropologist" and author of Pig Perfect: Encounters with Remarkable Swine and Some Great Ways to Cook Them.

* Ed Levine, food writer, TV and radio personality, author of New York Eats and founder of SeriousEats.com.

* Pamela Mitchell and Teri Tsang Barrett, executive food editor and food editor, respectively, at Every Day with Rachael Ray.

* Davia Nelson and Nikki Silva, producers of the award-winning NPR series "Hidden Kitchens," exploring the world of secret, unexpected, below the radar cooking across America.

* Kathleen Purvis has been the food editor, food writer and food columnist for The Charlotte (NC) Observer for more than 20 years.

* Jeffrey Star, culinary director and executive chef of Sutter Home Winery, and judge on Food Network's "Challenge" series.

* Jeffrey Steingarten, award-winning author, Vogue food critic, and judge on Food Network's "Iron Chef."

* Fred Thompson, food writer, educator, and author of Barbecue Nation: 350 Hot-Off-the-Grill, Tried-and-True Recipes from America's Backyard.

* Calvin Trillin, staff writer for The New Yorker since 1963, and author of The Tummy Trilogy.

* Joe York, documentary filmmaker in collaboration with the Southern Foodways Alliance.

Saturday, June 7th

Schedule subject to change.

12:30-1:30 PM "City vs. Country"

Panel Discussion

What happens when the rural craft of barbecue takes hold in a big city? Native New Yorker Ed Levine and John T. Edge, born in the 50-person burg of Clinton, Georgia, will ponder historical catalysts, including the Great Migration, and the consequences. Expect squabbling as they discuss define "rural" vs. "urban" and southern vs. northern barbecue divides.

1:30-2:30 PM "On the Side"

Cooking Demo

What do you serve with all that 'cue? Let Pamela Mitchell and Teri Tsang Barrett, food editors at Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine, treat you to a cooking demo of scrumptious sides. Baked beans, smothered greens, hush puppies and ice-cold golden sweet tea are a few of the tasty tidbits that will round out your ribs and brisket.

2:00-3:00 PM "The Geography of 'Cue"

Panel Discussion

When it comes to 'cue, tradition usually dictates what you eat where, but nowadays you might find pork in Texas, or beef in the Southeast. Are regional barbecue customs dissolving? Authors Lolis Eric Elie, Peter Kaminsky, Kathleen Purvis and Calvin Trillin will discuss tradition and transition in country's barbecue regions.

3:30-4:30 PM "What is it About Men and Meat and Midnight and a Pit?"

Discussion

NPR's Kitchen Sisters, Davia Nelson & Nikki Silva, take us on an expedition into the dark and smoky heart of barbecue. Their series, Hidden Kitchens, heard on NPR's Morning Edition, explores the world of secret, unexpected, below-the-radar cooking--how communities come together through food.

4:00-5:00 PM "10 Tips On How to Build a Better Barbecue Burger with Sutter Home"

Cooking Demo

Gear up for grilling season with Jeffrey Starr, culinary director and executive chef of Sutter Home Winery. Starr will be preparing the Carolina Pork Barbecue Burger, one of the winning recipes from Sutter Home's celebrated Build a Better Burger Contest. The demonstration will also include perfect wine pairings for mouthwatering barbecue dishes.

Sunday, June 8th

12:30-1:30 PM "Real American Idols: Champion Pitmasters"

Panel Discussion

Barbecue competitions are the NASCAR phenomenon of the culinary world, where 'cue contests are a family sport as well as big business. What does it take to win? Find out from legendary champion pitmasters Chris Lilly and Mike Mills, in a discussion with writer Jeffrey Steingarten led by author and competition chronicler Dotty Griffith of the 'cue community website www.smokinaphattie.com.

1:30-2:00 PM "Mutton: The Movie"

Film

Joe York's movie introduces the home of slow-cooked sheep, Owensboro, Kentucky. Get a better glimpse of the Owensboro International Barbecue Festival and learn new words like "burgoo" and new definitions for ones you already know, like "dip". You'll come to love this place, where counting sheep doesn't send you to sleep, it sends you to the refrigerator.

3:00-4:00 PM "Ribtastic!"

Cooking Demo

Fred Thompson, author of Barbecue Nation, will demonstrate great ways to create succulent pork, lamb and beef ribs--all on your backyard grill. Fred will walk you through easy flavor pairings, delicious rubs and sauces, getting you ready to become a rib master!

MUSIC

This year's outstanding music lineup spans an eclectic array of country, soul, rock & roll and New Orleans funk, all free and on stage all weekend long. Don't miss these amazing live acts:

Saturday, June 7th

1:00PM-2:15PM    THE DEFIBULATORS

Combining strains of rockabilly, bluegrass, and classic country music with the quirky camaraderie of a vaudevillian jug band, The Defibulators are one of the most engaging live acts to have emerged from Brooklyn's thriving roots music scene. Watch for the Defibulators' first full-length album coming this summer!

2:45PM - 4:00PM    THE SWEET DIVINES

Don't call it nostalgia: The Sweet Divines are doing soul music the only way they know how--the old-school way. This four-woman vocal powerhouse and their hard-hitting Divine Soul Rhythm Band have been lighting up nightclub stages all over town with their nouveau-retro brand of girl-group soul.

4:30PM-5:45PM    THE WILD MAGNOLIAS

"Big Chief" Bo Dollis and his Wild Magnolias have been among New Orleans' top-ranked Mardi Gras Indian tribes for four decades, playing pure New Orleans street funk. Their five career albums include the oft-sampled classic They Call Us Wild (1975) and Life Is a Carnival (1999).

Sunday, June 8th

1:00PM-2:15PM    ALEX BATTLES & THE WHISKEY REBELLION

Brooklyn-based singer and songwriter Alex Battles leads The Whiskey Rebellion, a country band strongly influenced by the music of Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Tom Waits, John Prine and Tom T. Hall. "Battles can wrap audiences around his knotty fingers." (Nate Schweber, The Village Voice)

2:45PM-4:00PM    ELI "PAPER BOY" REED & THE TRUE LOVES

Roll With You, the new Q Division album from Boston-based soul band Eli "Paperboy" Reed & the True Loves, is a potent all-original set of sweaty, up-tempo numbers and aching, lovelorn ballads. "He combines the sob of Al Green with the beef of Otis Redding, and boasts a band, The True Loves." (MOJO magazine)

4:30PM-5:45PM    THE SADIES

The Toronto quartet known as the Sadies combine the timeless sounds of Sixties/Seventies rock and country music with masterful songwriting and casually stunning harmonies from front men Dallas and Travis Good. On their latest album, New Seasons (Yep Roc), the Sadies "build fresh, bracing psychedelia." (David Fricke, Rolling Stone)

MORE

As always, the Snapple Big Apple Barbecue Block Party will also offer book signings with the 'cue experts, wine & 'cue pairings, and smokin' 'cue merchandise--from hats and t-shirts to sauces, spice rubs and barbecue books--anything the home pitmaster could need.

SPONSORS

Snapple is the title sponsor of this year's Big Apple Barbecue Block Party. Additional sponsors include Every Day with Rachael Ray and American Express, as well as W Hotels, Jet Blue, Texas Pete, Coca Cola, Bank of America, Great Brewers, Gold Star, Hatfield, Time Out New York, Chef's Warehouse, Brown-Forman, Baldor, M.Tucker, Shawmut, Sutter Home, Great Eastern, Elias B Cohen Insurance, Party Rental Limited, Pat La Frieda, Action Carting, Sierra Nevada, Blue Point, Lagunitas IPA, Magic Hat, Rogue, Smutty Nose, Troegs, Victory, Oskar, Abita, Spice House, California Avocados, Food Network, OxyClean, Edy's, and Pretzel Crisps. The event is presented in conjunction with NYC & Company, the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation, and Madison Square Park.

In 2007, the BABBP drew over 120,000 guests and raised $75,000 for the Madison Square Park Conservancy. 

Check for updates online at www.bigapplebbq.org.  In the meantime, mark the date and get hungry.

###

The Snapple Big Apple Barbecue Block Party (BABBP) is the largest barbecue celebration in the North East.  Established in 2003, the Snapple Big Apple Barbecue Block Party takes place in New York City's Madison Square Park and features the nation's best barbecue from over a dozen of the country's renowned pitmasters, live music performances, as well as barbecue seminars, cooking demos, and book signings. All proceeds benefit the Madison Square Park Conservancy.  The Snapple Big Apple Barbecue Block Party has quickly become a New York City tradition and is held annually in June.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That is a pretty impressive line-up and may just require a roadtrip!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I can't wait! That lineup is wonderful. I've got my fastpass and I'm sure to be hungry. Plan is to get there on the earlier side, say 12-1ish and then just follow the bbq.

always-eating.com

I just ordered my fastpass. I will be coming down with my son for Saturday. I figured one pass will be enough between us, as we'll use it for the more crowded venues. Some of the discussions look pretty interesting too.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Updated seminar schedule:

Saturday, June 7, 2008

City vs. Country

Saturday, June 7  12.30pm

What happens when the rural craft of barbecue takes hold in a big city? Native New Yorker Ed Levine and John T. Edge, born in the 50-person burg of Clinton, Georgia, will ponder historical catalysts, including the Great Migration, and the consequences. Expect squabbling as they discuss define “rural” vs. “urban” and Southern vs. Northern barbecue divides.

On the Side

Saturday, June 7  1.30pm

What do you serve with all that ’cue? Let Pamela Mitchell and Teri Tsang Barrett, food editors at Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine, treat you to a cooking demo of scrumptious sides. Baked beans, smothered greens, hush puppies and ice-cold golden sweet tea are a few of the tasty tidbits that will round out your ribs and brisket.

Geography of 'Cue

Saturday, June 7  2.00pm

When it comes to ’cue, tradition usually dictates what you eat where, but nowadays you might find pork in Texas, or beef in the Southeast. Are regional barbecue customs dissolving? Authors Lolis Eric Elie, Peter Kaminsky, Kathleen Purvis, Calvin Trillin will discuss tradition and transition for our country’s barbecue regions.

What Is It About Meat, And Men, And Midnight, And A Pit?

Saturday, June 7  3.30pm

NPR’s Kitchen Sisters, Davia Nelson & Nikki Silva take us on Hidden Kitchen expedition into the dark and smoky heart of barbeque.  Their series, Hidden Kitchens, heard on NPR’s Morning Edition, explores the world of secret, unexpected, below the radar cooking—how communities come together through food.

10 Tips on How to Build a Better Barbecue Burger with Sutter Home

Saturday, June 7  4.00pm

Gear up for grilling season with Jeffrey Starr, culinary director and executive chef of Sutter Home Winery. Starr will be preparing the Carolina Pork Barbecue Burger, one of the winning recipes from Sutter Home’s celebrated Build a Better Burger Contest. The demonstration will also include perfect wine pairings for mouthwatering barbecue dishes.

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Real American Idols

Sunday, June 8  12.30pm

Barbecue competitions are the NASCAR phenomenon of the culinary world, where ’cue contests are a family sport as well as big business. What does it take to win? Find out from legendary champion pitmasters Chris Lilly and Mike Mills, in a discussion with writer Jeffrey Steingarten led by Dotty Griffith, the "Phemme Phatale" of www.smokinaphattie.com, an interactive barbecue website.

Mutton: The Movie

Sunday, June 8  1.30pm

Joe York’s film introduces the home of slow-cooked sheep, Owensboro, Kentucky. Get a better glimpse of the Owensboro International Barbecue Festival and learn new words like "burgoo" and new definitions for ones you already know, like "dip". You'll come to love this place where counting sheep doesn't send you to sleep, it sends you to the refrigerator. Followed by Q+A led by Steven Shaw of eGullet.org.

Ribtastic

Sunday, June 8  3.00pm

Fred Thompson, author of Barbecue Nation, will demonstrate great ways to create succulent pork, lamb and beef ribs – all on your backyard grill.  Fred will walk you through easy flavor pairings, delicious rubs and sauces, getting you ready to become a rib master, and Steven Shaw of eGullet.org will ask all the right questions.

Excellent, a map!

http://www.bigapplebbq.org/2008/index.php?s=directions

The site is super helpful this year in planning.

Obsessives like me should note that THE PIT is Ed Mitchell's new restaurant. And he's essentially on the opposite corner that he's been in previous years, all the way over on 26th and Broadway.

Edited by kathryn (log)

Be sure to click through from that page to download the .pdf version of the map. It's a bit more detailed, as I recall.

(Edited to add: I'm wrong; I must be thinking of the map that came around with some materials I got from the organizers. I'll see if I can find it.)

(Edited to add: I'm wrong about that too, however the older version of the map that I have says Mitchell's name and the new one just says "The Pit.")