• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ Goat

arbeck

I recently bought a leg of goat at the farmers market. I've never had goat before, so I don't really know how to cook it.

I have a Webber Smokey Mountain that I'd like to use for a slow and low BBQ. I've done pork shoulder, ribs, tri tip, chuck roast and brisket before. I'm not sure how I should do the goat though. The beef I usually marinate and cook until it reaches 190-200F (except the tri tip which I stop at medium rare and then sear). The pork I alway brine, but cook to the exact same temp.

I'm wondering if I should treat the goat more like pork or beef. Should I brine it or marinate it? Will it get for tender if cooked slowly (I'm guessing by it's size 10 hours) to 190? Anyone done this before?

here is how I do leg of goat ..spike it with garlic . ..then mash together olive oil and fresh garlic with some thyme ..rub the goat down with it well then crack lots of black pepper ...coriander, and some cumin make a rub with kosher salt as well...and coat the entire thing with it more is better you want a crust

grill it low (mesquite is my preferred wood for this) and slow like beef I guess more than pork because it does not have that much fat until it is tender and falls of the bone (I am assuming it is a fairly mature goat?)

wrap it in foil at the end and let sit for about 20 min befor serving

warm fresh tortillas ..fresh salsa

this is my favorite red meat

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet