• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cast Iron Storage

vilasman

If you were going to make a stand or a cabinent to store your cast iron pans in, would you make it out of iron or wood? Which would do a better job or preserving the finish? A Iron or steel stand or cabinent would have the advantage of being able to receive the pan while it was still hot...

Any thoughts? I have been playing with the idea of going to a welder and having something fabricated

I don't think I follow. Wouldn't the seasoned surface be on the concave interior of the pan, and thus not come in contact with the shelving? Or am I missing something here? I can't quite picture it.

FWIW, a hanging rack is ideal for cast iron, I think: air circulation, you can hang it hot, no contact with other things on the interior, etc.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

If you were going to make a stand or a cabinent to store your cast iron pans in, would you make it out of iron or wood? Which would do a better job or preserving the finish? A Iron or steel stand or cabinent would have the advantage of being able to receive the pan while it was still hot...

Any thoughts? I have been playing with the idea of going to a welder and having something fabricated

AT the risk of being crude....put it anywhere, its bullet proof.keep it on the floor of the garage....on the concrete patio??? Overkill.......

Bud

I don't think I follow. Wouldn't the seasoned surface be on the concave interior of the pan, and thus not come in contact with the shelving? Or am I missing something here? I can't quite picture it.

FWIW, a hanging rack is ideal for cast iron, I think: air circulation, you can hang it hot, no contact with other things on the interior, etc.

I'd be scared of hanging up my cast iron while it was still hot... I'm a klutz, and that is just a recipe for serious burns. That, and I relish the overkill involved with a custom-constructed cast iron storage unit. I think the OP should do it, and take pictures for me to gaze longingly upon! :biggrin:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Well the garage and the porch and the basement all work, pretty much no matter how hot the pan is when you deposit them there. Problem is when you are ready to use said pan again, you must find your way back to the garage, the basement or the porch, and as often as not, that will force a change in planned pan, to stainless steel or anolon. And neither of those, will blacken a meat or for my taste, which lean toward campfire cooking, even cook okra, onions and tomatos the same.

I tend to leave my double griddle in oven, ever ready to bake bacon and lately I have been leaving my pizza pan in as well, as much to bake bacon as to season the pan. My wife tends to turn the oven on without looking in it even though she knows I leave the pans in... and then I have to find a place to land a 350-400 degree pan.

I only have a 4 burner stove. There are times I could use a 6 and it is in the plans. But in the mean time... There are times that I might use 2 or 3 cast iron pans together or in succession and when they come off the stove, and I am counter top space challenged I can't just dump them into the sink, soapy dishwater or the dishwasher like I can most things.

But more than anything else, I get tired of having to bend over and dig them out when I am ready for one of them. What I want is to be able to land a pan somewhere... I have a cat. It can't be hot.

I want easy access and I dont want my CI to be banished to the corner like a bad child. Now that I am getting the hang of the seasoning process I am liking my CI more than any other type of pan. For the things that it is good at.