• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday cake help

I need to order a birthday cake for my MIL's 70th birthday. Looking for recommendations for bakeries in N.Yorkshire either in York or in the general Easingwold/Boroughbridge neighbourhood.

I'm in Vancouver, BC, so would prefer to do this online.

Any help much appreciated.

I expect you'll get some answers from people with direct experience, but if all else fails, Betty's springs to mind. I don't have experience of their mail order service, but see http://www.bettysbypost.com/

Nor do I know if you can arrange for collection --- if you depend on mail order then I guess anywhere in the UK could deliver.

Betty's certainly used to do individual cakes to order, there is a contact tel no on their web site.

I think you get the choice of a fruit cake or a sponge cake with a personalised message. I am pretty sure you could collect from the shop in York.

I have always enjoyed their bakery items but they are quite expensive.