• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Highwayman, Northcote, White Bull & others

Jeez Bertie you got married at Northcote, I've heard those prices being banded around by Leg horn Fog Horn himself. You harvest your mother-in-law's organs for that? (involuntarily rolls eyes at ceiling hoping there's nothing wrong with your mother-in-law.)

I went to the Spread Eagle about a year ago. I do like that dinning room. I don't even mind the uneven floorboards and the splattered carpets. But there was a waiter, who's teeth sported individual fur coats, who schmoozed the infirm with a description of what a "quenelle" is, (think 70's Paul Daniels), whilst fumigating them in last nights booze. C'mon dipardoo, we are moving forward, but there are some things that are eternally naff round here.

As for Longridge Restaurant, my brother took a woman there last month when the floods were on. Managed to get the place almost to themselves, due to cancellations. He really rated it and said it was back to how it was in years past. Haven't been back though either.

Gary, the Tandoor is very good, but no longer available. Can get it to 600c, food cooks in an instant and you get Indian restaurant quality food after brining and marinating the meat. If you saw Heston's 2nd series he fashioned one out of an ordinary BBQ and a few bricks built up, that absorbs heat and generates the same effect. I would like to build a brick oven and a tandoor in the garden.

Edited by adey73 (log)

Jeez Bertie you got married at Northcote, I've heard those prices being banded around by Leg horn Fog Horn himself. You harvest your mother-in-law's organs for that? (involuntarily rolls eyes at ceiling hoping there's nothing wrong with your mother-in-law.)

She's recovering now. Didn't actually work out that expensive. Honest.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

. I would like to build a brick oven and a tandoor in the garden.

that was going to be my easter project, but it was too cold so i went to the pub instead.

ETA but it wasn't a wasted weekend, managed to start my air dried ham project :smile:

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

any recent longridge restaurant experiences? i went last may and was really impressed. my only previous visit - a sunday lunch a few years ago - was a dog. no disrespect to eric and lionel...

My last two visits to Longridge have both been extremely good. Reasonably busy dining room, excellent service and food that hits all the right notes for me. I've always been a fan of what Paul Heathcote can actually do when he is on form. The dishes were as good as things in 'Rhubarb and Black Pudding' which is as good a guide to Lancastrian cooking as I've ever found. Still surprises me that Longridge lost it's star.

Adam

• 3 months later...

Went to The White Bull for lunch yesterday, and was quite impressed. Nothing amazing just the cliched good food actually cooked well. Service was excellent and the pub itself is very welcoming. I agree with portion size, the table next to ours main courses came out and after seeing the amount on the plate I requested a smaller portion, which they were happy to do. Quite cheap for the quality and quantity, £14 for two courses. I think it will be a regular for me now.

Interestingly for a Sunday lunchtime there was only three tables dining. Infact when we were at the Stagg on a Friday evening it was only a quarter full. Are restaurants being effected at the moment??

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the White Bull for dinner last night with a good mate of mine who I thought was going to ask me to be bestman! Fortunately he hasn't asked his g/f the big question...

Anyway food was good and portion size was thankfully smaller than the last time I went.

2701011527_d762f7e484.jpg

Egg & Bury Blackpudding.

2701011537_5299fda710.jpg

Seafood Mixed Grill, all perfectly cooked.

2701011547_45c156619b.jpg

Roast Cod.

The dinning room was very busy and we had a few summer pints in the garden.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to The White Bull again on Sunday, which is strange for me to revisit a place in a matter of weeks. Often when it comes to deciding on a spare of the minute Sunday lunch, I often find it hard to generate options. Some places I have been to fail on food, but deliver on atmosphere, some almost deliver on food but lack good service etc etc. I think with the White Bull you get the full package, great food, excellent friendly service, great beer, wonderful atmosphere and very cheap prices.

Six of us went on Sunday including my daughter the self proclaimed "Kid Critic", and we all followed the rule of trying not to order what anyone else does, so to get a full range of the dishes. This enabled a more detailed analysis of the cooking on offer, rather than judging a restaurant on one or two dishes. I have to say that all starters and mains were really excellent, with none (yes really) failing in any way. Sorry I have no copy of the menu so maybe bet sketchy. Some examples included a beautiful pork terrine with an apple chutney, perfect mackeral pate, a piece of salmon with med veg was divine and chilli spiked summer squash soup was elegant. There did not appear to be any starters on the specials board.

Mains included an amazing belly pork, creamed cabbage and black pud mash, alright not the most summery of dishes but in deepest Lancashire summer was not apparent. A well executed Sunday roast, I think brisket of beef, with all the trimmings. Now this is the "Kid Critic's" domain, and she was very, very impressed with the dish, except there was not enough gravy. However before she could demote the dish from a five star to a four star, unprompted a little jug of personalised gravy appeared. They saved themselves culinary ruination with that foresight!!! I had roasted cod with saute potatoes, rocket, wild mushrooms and truffle, which was excellent, well cooked fish, earthy mushrooms, really good. There was a parmesan gnocchi dish which was the vegatarian option which was hailed delicious by a carnivore. Few specials which we did not try, halibut and fillet steak, I think. I would have to agree with Adey that portions have gotten a little smaller, which means they are now what would be considered normal size.

Service throughout was excellent, with just two staff members, they managed a full room of diners with ease and remained appropriately conversational as one would expect from a good country pub. Googling reveals that the head front of house is the owner of the pub along with her husband, head chef Chris Bell, who has worked in Tom Aikens, L'ortolan (JBR), original Deanes and Roscoff, and head chef at Longridge. So quite a lot of experience and knowledge between the two, and it shows.

Desserts were deemed very good by those that enjoy sweet things, ice creams, Eton Mess, stick toffee pud etc. I don't get to excited by desserts. I ordered the cheese which was a mixture of Irish and English varieties, e.g. Durrus, Blacksticks Blue. Unfortunately they were past there best, being a little dried out. This was dealt with and replaced, albeit with the replacements being just a little better. I remember receiving similar quality cheeses in Northcote once and was informed by a very scary German waitress that the cheeses were meant to be like that!

Good coffees from exchange coffee, which were much better than our last visit, I think there was a problem with the machine. I am not sure what the final bill was, but it is £14 for two courses and £17 for three, specials may carry a supplement. I had quite a few good local Bowland Brewery ales, wine list appears short but well rounded, and modestly priced.

The bar area appears very lively and has good atmosphere and I was told the beer garden is 'fun'. It manages to achieve the balance of a good pub with a good place to eat out and it definitely deserves its Bib Gourmand.

Personally I am delighted I have found a place which ticks all my requirments for a spare of the moment weekend lunch. I just hope it maintains its standards or the "Kid Critic" will be down on them with more wrath than the likes of Jay Rayner or AA Gill could ever muster.

Was at the Three Fishes on Saturday. Lovely lunch, cheese pie and fish and chips all round. There seem to be some great specials and new dishes on the menu but i have now got to the stage that all i want there is the calorie-laden horror that is the cheese pie. Didn't have a starter in order to save space for the ace summer pudding with clotted cream that we all had, rather unorginally.

The Clog and Billycock is set to open in Pleasington at the end of the month. Looking forward to trying the cheese pie there.

• 1 month later...

Had another great lunch at the White Bull a few weeks back, again all the dishes were excellent, and super value for money. Enjoyed an excellent piece of calves liver, and compared to last time, the cheese board was very, very impressive. Having been there three times in a few months, I can really vouch for consistency on both cooking and FOH, I only wished I lived nearer.

• 2 weeks later...

I made it to the Clog and Billycock today. It's more spacious that the other two, service was warm & accommodating the kitchen got the food out very quickly. Unfortunately Some of the specials and other items off the menu were not available (like the whole roast partridge that jumped straight at me, but was AWOL).

2878445953_072f132a54_m.jpg2879269186_ebb18ffa90_m.jpg2879269202_1dc87e61c7_m.jpg

2879269196_56d1647587_m.jpg2878445955_33885b067b_m.jpg2879269176_dfd95cca34_m.jpg

for starters I had a bowl of extremities; trotter, tripe & black pudding (wish there had been a jowl in there too). All unctuous goodness.

2879269216_8f3157886e.jpg

Followed by a fantastic buttery Orkney Lobster and Cambridge sauce. (yes I had chips that's because at heart I'm still a lumpen-prole)

2879269220_a4f9fcbe38.jpg

I was full already, but couldn't resist some cheese from the region, unfort didn't have Leagrams Curd.

2878445951_064c5f7953.jpg

All excellent quality pub food, though Ribble Valley Inn's are more pub themed restaurants. No sign of any credit crunch round here. Every other table was taken when I left, with a mixture of pensioners, couples and fat mouthed boorish suits. There may be 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire, but this isn't one of them, so doesn't belong in the Albert Hall. (am sorry, so sorry)

Incidentally, the American documentary King Corn is playing on Sky Arts at the moment. Saw it last night, not as preachy as Spurlock, but achingly hard discovering the plight of grain fed cattle. Watch it.

Adey, well done, you made it. It looks great - i want that starter and that main (and the AWOL pigeon now i come to think of it)

There was some discussion of going to C&B on Saturday and Sunday chez Dipardoo but alas the £9.99 for two courses at San Marco in Much Hoole won (not my choice i hasten to add)

£1.5million refurbishment for a 1970s tratt menu. not sure i get it. still, i enjoyed my funghi ripieni and hawaiian pizza...

• 1 month later...

Here's another party political broadcast on behalf of the Clog and Billycock.

Was passing through that part of the world so decided to dive in for lunch.

Car park was half full as were the tables, not bad for a November Monday I suppose.

Pumpkin soup may have been emulsified with oil, like Heinz do with their Tomato, background taste of curry powder. Just lit fire warmed the cockles.

3018712875_83e6e356d5.jpg3018712909_8e87e4eee9.jpg

Goosnargh chicken a la chips with a chive and garlic sauce. today's specials. Spent £16.25 with a soft drink, left sated and happy.

3018712921_57a260429d.jpg3018712899_56be72c3d6_m.jpg

Edited by adey73 (log)

• 1 month later...

Had a very pleasant pre christmas lunch at Northcote, all dishes in our party were a success. I opted for the white beef tartar with cauliflower, bone marrow toast and quails egg, which I just love. I had a venison dish for main which was again very, very tasty. I really think Northcote is very consistent food wise, and I even thought service was more polished this time around, albeit it was not full.

Speaking of consistency, went to the White Bull on boxing day. Feeling a little jaded from the previous days festivities, this was a welcome retreat. I had an amazing hare dish, totally blown away by it. It was actually my first time tasting hare, and I was very impressed by it as a meat. Again prices are low and quality high, I am sure it will maintain its Bib. The White Bull is without doubt my find of the year, if you are in the area do go.

• 5 weeks later...

Paid the Highwaymann Inn a visit today for lunch. The staff were all lovely, we must have said goodbye about 20 times on the way out.

Started with 'Slow cooked Gloucester Old Spot Belly Pork and

Blackpudding, crumbed and deep fried,Apple Purée,

Crackling Salad'

This comes in the form of a cube and is packed with juicy meat and delicious blackpudding at the bottom bound together by breadcrumbs. The apple purée was 'sweet as' mate. Classic combination and cooked to perfection.

Then I had 'Highwayman Game Pudding, Purée Potatoes,

Roasted Root Vegetables, Juniper Berry Gravy'.

I make these all the time myself, because it's probably my favourite dish of all time. What? The pudding was sizeable (I could feel the fabric of my stomach coming apart afterwards) and the quenelle of creamy potato wasn't much smaller but then I wasn't complaining. Scattered root vegetables made it all look rather pretty and the juniper gravy was spot on.

Anything else after all that was out of the question. My mate had Battered Deep Fried Haddock, Marrowfat Peas, Real Chips cooked in Dripping,Tartare Sauce. Reports were good and the fish was gianormous - something of a theme.

We both had several glasses of Sasparilla - bringing back memories of childhood. I haven't had 'sas' since I was a kid in a mate's shed taking sips of his Dad's supplies, pretending it gave me super powers. Mmm it was every bit as good as I remembered.

After gauging on all that wonderful food, we decided to try burning a corner of it off by walking into Kirkby Lonsdale. Such a beautiful and mainly peaceful walk through the countryside; the snow on surrounding mountains creating a nice postcard feel. We did however nearly get run over a few times as cars like to power through so keep in close to the edge if you fancy that walk.

• 5 months later...

Taking my brother out for dinner on Saturday. Originally planned on going to the Highwayman Inn (Burrow) but decided against it because I want to try somewhere new.

What are people's preferances; Three Fishes or Clog and Billycock?

Three Fishes online menu grabs me a bit more but want to make sure we eat at the best place.

Haven't been a while to either. But I would go to Three Fishes because I like Clitheroe and especially the superlative Byrne Bro's wine shop on King St. and the cheese shop, Cheesey Tchaikovsky.

Isn't there also a very decent butchers in Clitheroe - seem to remember they have a large selection of sausages.

It is called Cowmans, they do some good sausages. Also Wellgate Fisheries good for fish, coffee exchange good for coffee etc. Clitheroe (and surrounding area) has always been great for food, and one of my favourite food destination. LIttered with places to pop into once you come of the M6 and travel to Clitheroe itself. As mentioned Byrnes is amzing for price, quality and originality.

Saying that I feel the Three Fishes has went down hill the last few times I visited on both service and food.

• 3 months later...

Nigel Haworth can market the Three Fishes as a proper pub as much as he likes it doesnt make it true. By any usual definition, this is not a proper pub nobody is coming here on Friday night to get bevied up with their mates. You get shown to a table. And the toilets are clean. This is a place youre going to come for the food by any usual definition this is a restaurant that happens to be in a pub and one where you happen to order your food at the bar. It was about to be a pretty good lunch.

I started with the Shorrocks Lancashire cheese on toast. Like other customers I overheard later, Id assumed the default menu item included Sillfield Farm bacon and Worcestershire sauce dressing at £5.50 (as the menu then offered, as suitable for vegetarians, without bacon and dressing at £4.75). So like the other customers, I was a tad disappointed to get the naked version. Damn good cheese on toast, though and a bit of salad on the side.

Mrs H had the warm Morecambe Bay shrimps a ramekin packed with shrimps with a good slosh of melted butter, heavy on the mace, but not overly so. Came with a toasted muffin which was absolutely necessary for mopping up the delicious butter.

She followed this with haddock, chips and mushy peas. Crisp batter on good fish. Crisp chips tasting of fried potato and they were perfect chip sized chips. Mushies a bit bland.

I had braised oxtail which had all the good signs of long slow cooking. Alongside, some mash and root veg.

It was popular with families and, in a pleasant change to the usual round of chicken nuggets, fish fingers and pizza, the young persons menu offered small portions of a number of standard menu items. OK, there was no oxtail for young uns, but they could have had the fish & chips, or Goosnargh chicken and veg or the burger. Why dont more places serve real food to real people even if they are aged 8.

Service is good from the pleasant smiley young women who staffed the bar or who work the room, attentively spotting that youve finished eating and might like the crockery removing and an offer of coffee made.

We then nipped into Clitheroe to stock up on sausages from Cowmans.

Edited by Harters (log)

John Hartley

I had another terrible meal at The Three Fishes a few weeks ago, not sure why I keep going back??

I had a bowl of mussels with apple and shallot. The mussels were ok but the raw tarty apples and raw shallot ruined it.

Burger and chips (kids) dry beef with a distinct sour taste.

Fish and chips, flacid and soggy batter. Sent this back and was informed this happens to batter. Sent out another one which was as soggy. Bizarre. Maybe they need a trip to the Golden Hind or Magpie Cafe to see how good batter can stay crisp after 10 seconds.

Platter of seafood was good.

As always the way they deal with any complaint here is: A) Get defensive; B) Try and convince you that you wouldn't understand the complexities of cooking C) Take the approach that you don't know what your taking about.

Maybe I have been unlucky on my last three visits.

• 4 weeks later...

Lunched in Northcote yesterday. The place was packed, I suppose the great British menu is a great way of raising the profile.

We had booked for one thirty but were not seated until after two.

The food was very good, better than my last visit when it was decent if a little uninspired.

We ate Risotto with kale and chestnuts and Smoked salmon with chilli tempura squid and followed with Partridge in puff pastry and a tremendous lump of line caught cod. Desserts were queen of puddings and a blackberry and yoghurt trifle. We had coffee and dinky, hot Eccles cakes in the lounge. There was also a canapé of artichoke mousse with crisps.

Service was good although I didn’t recognise anyone from past visits; I suppose some will have been transplanted into the pubs.

We rounded things off with a trip to Clitheroe for sausages and a poke about in the wine shop. We also stopped off at Huntleys, well worth a stop if you are passing – very good selection of all things edible. Good wine shop too.

Martin