• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McVities Cake recipe wanted

gfron1

Ok, since graham flour is just coarsely ground wheat flour, I don't think one would want to make a cake out of this.

Why don't you make a layer cake that emulates the best part of a McVitie.....which, of course, is the flavor.

If it were me:

(and I'm assuming you are trying to emulate the chocolate covered McVitie?)

I would bake off a honey cake (recipes all over the internet.....choose your fav).

Split it into 3-4 layers.

(By the way, I would build this cake in a springform pan with high sides)

Line the bottom of the springform pan with parchment, and make a graham cracker (McVities) crust.

Place first layer of honey cake on top.

Then spread either: (milk chocolate or dark chocolate ganache or mousse) on top of the cake layer.

Apply next cake layer.

Ganache or mousse.

Third cake layer.

Repeat this process if you have four layers.

Then, ice in a neutral or honey buttercream, OR pour with dark ganache.

Mask the sides with more crushed graham crackers (McVities)

On top, pipe some rosettes and, if they are small enough, garnish with half or whole McVities.

How about that? :smile:

Ok, since graham flour is just coarsely ground wheat flour, I don't think one would want to make a cake out of this.

Why don't you make a layer cake that emulates the best part of a McVitie.....which, of course, is the flavor.

If it were me:

(and I'm assuming you are trying to emulate the chocolate covered McVitie?)

I would bake off a honey cake (recipes all over the internet.....choose your fav).

Split it into 3-4 layers.

(By the way, I would build this cake in a springform pan with high sides)

Line the bottom of the springform pan with parchment, and make a graham cracker (McVities) crust.

Place first layer of honey cake on top. 

Then spread either: (milk chocolate or dark chocolate ganache or mousse) on top of the cake layer.

Apply next cake layer.

Ganache or mousse.

Third cake layer.

Repeat this process if you have four layers.

Then, ice in a neutral or honey buttercream, OR pour with dark ganache.

Mask the sides with more crushed graham crackers (McVities)

On top, pipe some rosettes and, if they are small enough, garnish with half or whole McVities.

How about that? :smile:

That sounds awesome! I might just have to make it too!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I have a totally trashy recipe that uses graham crackers - but I think you could substitute McV's. I think you would use the ones without the milk chocolate though.

Ice Box Cake - this recipe is totally scalable to however much you want to make.

First - make some milk chocolate flavored whipped cream. REAL whipped cream only. My family usually uses hershey's chocolate syrup, but I am sure there are other, better tasting products out there!

Next, layer the graham crackers or McV's with the whipped cream, standing the cookies on edge like this: lllllllll. Then cover the entire outside with additional whipped cream. Refridgerate overnight. You need to be very generous with the whipped cream so that it will soak into the crackers or cookies and kind of merge into one densely layered torte.

Trashy, but very good - it is a tradition at every holiday gathering in my family!

I have a totally trashy recipe that uses graham crackers - but I think you could substitute McV's.  I think you would use the ones without the milk chocolate though.

Ice Box Cake - this recipe is totally scalable to however much you want to make.

First - make some milk chocolate flavored whipped cream.  REAL whipped cream only.  My family usually uses hershey's chocolate syrup, but I am sure there are other, better tasting products out there!

Next, layer the graham crackers or McV's with the whipped cream, standing the cookies on edge like this: lllllllll.  Then cover the entire outside with additional whipped cream.  Refridgerate overnight.  You need to be very generous with the whipped cream so that it will soak into the crackers or cookies and kind of merge into one densely layered torte. 

Trashy, but very good - it is a tradition at every holiday gathering in my family!

This recipe is also delicious with chocolate wafers or ginger snaps.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Purely for the avoidance of doubt, let it be noted that McVitie's is (nowadays) a biscuit brand owned by United Biscuits - with many different products.

http://www.biscuits.com/80256C1A0047922E/vWeb/pcTSTT5EPGEC

Their "Digestive" biscuits are a traditional British favourite (whether naked or with one side covered in chocolate - and available either with milk or plain (ie dark) chocolate)

Crushed, the uncoated biscuits would be a classic British base for a cheesecake...

But I wouldn't imagine them improving other cakes.

And personally, I prefer McVitie's "Hobnobs" (with their rougher and fractionally chewy texture - from some rolled grains) to the basic Digestives.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I have a totally trashy recipe that uses graham crackers - but I think you could substitute McV's.  I think you would use the ones without the milk chocolate though.

First - make some milk chocolate flavored whipped cream.  REAL whipped cream only.  My family usually uses hershey's chocolate syrup, but I am sure there are other, better tasting products out there!

Next, layer the graham crackers or McV's with the whipped cream, standing the cookies on edge like this: lllllllll.  Then cover the entire outside with additional whipped cream.  Refridgerate overnight.  You need to be very generous with the whipped cream so that it will soak into the crackers or cookies and kind of merge into one densely layered torte. 

OMG! So very tempting!

Without going OT about plain v. dark, and McV digestives v. HobNobs (I like plain and Hobs), thanks to everyone for the ideas. I ended up merging a number of ideas because I was short on time, lazy and cheap. I had an old genoise in the freezer - no idea what kind, but I'm sure it was good since I kept the scraps. I cut discs with my 2" pastry form, then horizontally sliced them into a number of layers. Each layer was brushed with a honey syrup, topped with ganache, and then set in a milk chocolate mousse. The whole thing was then covered in a thick ganache and dusted with McV crumbs. The birthday boy really needed some loving so it was much appreciated. He's totally a Cadbury milk type of guy which is why I went milk on this dessert.

gallery_41282_4652_33396.jpg

Gut shot:

gallery_41282_4652_23132.jpg

I have a totally trashy recipe that uses graham crackers - but I think you could substitute McV's. I think you would use the ones without the milk chocolate though.

You may call it trashy, but I call it strangely compelling!

I MUST make it! :laugh::laugh:

I warn you - You may never have another family gathering without one!! :raz:

And Gfron1 - that cake looks like it came out amazing!

Edited by LizD518 (log)