• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truffle Torte

oli

I think Wendy made this, from the Chocolate Bible, but I am not sure, but anyway I was wondering if anybody made this and was the recipe correct. I don't know if she made any adjustments to the recipe. Some of the recipes in this book are a little lacking and so need tweaking to work, but the photos call out to me to make.

Edited by oli (log)

I've made the recipe twice, both times following the directions, and had terrific results. I usually give it a day to set in the fridge, and give it an hour to come to room temp before serving (for the best consistency). It's fantastic, and I highly recommend it!

I've made the recipe twice, both times following the directions, and had terrific results. I usually give it a day to set in the fridge, and give it an hour to come to room temp before serving (for the best consistency). It's fantastic, and I highly recommend it!

Thanks for that. Oh, by the way, what else have you made from the book that didn't need tweaking?

Edited by oli (log)

I've done a few recipes from that book. It's been a while but I don't remember needing to tweak any of them, the recipes I tried all worked. There were probably a few I wanted to tweak or tweaked just for the fun of it because that's what I do (and sometimes wish I hadn't) but I don't remember any "yuck" or catastrophic failures resulting from following the recipes as written. Try a recipe. If the thought "maybe it'd be nice with/without this" enters your head when you taste it, ty that. If that makes you happy write a little note in the margins. Have fun with it, they're just recipes not laws (although I sometimes get the feeling from her writing that RLB may disagree with me on that :raz: ). :biggrin:

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've done a few recipes from that book. It's been a while but I don't remember needing to tweak any of them, the recipes I tried all worked. There were probably a few I wanted to tweak or tweaked just for the fun of it because that's what I do (and sometimes wish I hadn't) but I don't remember any "yuck" or catastrophic failures resulting from following the recipes as written. Try a recipe. If the thought "maybe it'd be nice with/without this" enters your head when you taste it, ty that. If that makes you happy write a little note in the margins. Have fun with it, they're just recipes not laws (although I sometimes get the feeling from her writing that RLB may disagree with me on that :raz: ). :biggrin:

As Wendy and I have tried some of the recipes and a couple of them needed tweaking, I just didn't want to go through another recipe from that book and end up wasting product.

Apologies. Didn't intend for that to sound like a lecture. My point was that you don't know if you need to tweak a recipe until you try it. You may have a good educated feeling that "this would be better with walnuts in it" or "that isn't a long enough bake time" but you won't know if you haven't tried the original to compare it to and someone else telling you it's better another way doesn't mean you'll agree. I always try someone else's recipe their way first. I guess it was drilled into me for too long to change. My mom always told me to give the creator of the recipe the benefit of the doubt the first time through unless it was obvious they didn't have a clue and, while I don't agree with everything in RLB's books, I would definitely not accuse her of being clueless about baking. Maybe that's not the best approach though... I do have my fair share of bird food and trash can filler when experimenting. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I assumed it was the cake bible since that was what was done in the demo but I could be wrong. If so... oops! :blush:

I think Wendy made this, from the Chocolate Bible

Is this thread about the Cake Bible by RLB, or another book such as the Chocolate Bible by Christian Teubner?

Chocolate Bible

Okay then, I did oops. I could have sworn that truffle torte demo here was on the one from the cake bible. Sorry 'bout that.