• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Markets and affordable restaurants in Canberra?

I just found out I'm going to be in Canberra for the month of August for work, and am in the midst of searching for a place to live, etc. I'm going to try to find a place with kitchen access. Does anyone have suggestions about local markets and local foods I shouldn't miss? Along those lines, I'm a student on a budget, and will probably be working like crazy while I'm there, but would love restaurant recommendations as well.

Thanks!

I just found out I'm going to be in Canberra for the month of August for work, and am in the midst of searching for a place to live, etc. I'm going to try to find a place with kitchen access.  Does anyone have suggestions about local markets and local foods I shouldn't miss? Along those lines, I'm a student on a budget, and will probably be working like crazy while I'm there, but would love restaurant recommendations as well.

Thanks!

There are loads of affordable restaurants (ie, low budget) in Canberra, especially in Civic and Dickson. In fact, Canberra is such a disappointment at the other end of the scale that you can be thankful for a good international student population! As I was only there briefly, I'm afraid specific names escape me, but perhaps someone else will come to the rescue.

The farmers' market is very good, held in the far north of the city.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

• 2 weeks later...

lamington, would you be referring to the Hall market that is held on the first sunday of each month?

there's the Jamison market held every sunday morning, has good selection of fresh produce and trash and treasure stalls.

not sure if the one at the Exhibition Park, which used to be every saturday morning, is still there. this one has some cooked food and baked products while the one at Jamison doesn't.

>>I'm told I won't have much else to do, aside from work!

:biggrin: ... depends on what you like to do... there's a big exhibit at the national gallery "Turner to Monet", but i think it finishes around june. you can go on a balloon ride :laugh: august is winter and once the fog has lifted we get beautiful sunny crisp mornings!

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I lived in Canberra but one place you can't go past is the Fyshwick fresh food market. Over twenty years ago it had a little fruit and veg store that started selling fresh, home grown, produce (read organic). I remember the owner, Joseph, bemoaning to me that people bought organic tomatoes and came back telling him that they tasted strange, which turned out to be a direct result of them never having tasted a fresh, sun ripened, tomato.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I remember the owner, Joseph, bemoaning to me that people bought organic tomatoes and came back telling him that they tasted strange, which turned out to be a direct result of them never having tasted a fresh, sun ripened, tomato.

:raz: I can believe that one. My partner used to claim he didn't like tomatoes, and then we started growing our own ...

Thanks for all the suggestions -- they're exactly what I'm looking for!