• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great British Menu 3

50 of the worlds best chefs ...

Oh and Ronnie Corbit, Wogan, some bird who's mother was off Blue Peter, the surviving cast of 'Allo 'Allo, the runner off Top Gear and David Icke. The Chuckle brothers must be annoyed they didnt get an invite.

Edited by adey73 (log)

50 of the worlds best chefs ...

Oh and Ronnie Corbit, Wogan, some bird who's mother was off Blue Peter, the surviving cast of 'Allo 'Allo, the runner off Top Gear and David Icke. The Chuckle brothers must be annoyed they didnt get an invite.

yeah the original quote was a tad misleading. There was a few good names though.

Stephen Merchant's missus dressed for the occasion didnt she?

Imagine getting to taste the best food Britain had to offer then having to sit next to Piers Morgan to eat it.

I wonder if for the steak dish the person next to him got a plastic knife just in case

Edited by Jamsie (log)

I didn't really enjoy the programme. Everyone is so polite and smiley, the only criticism coming from Michel Roux, it all feels a bit pointless.

I enjoy the rest of the series because it is competitive and judgemental, you really get the impression everyone is trying hard to make the nicest food possible. It's just a shame the series culminates in something where a McDonalds burger would probably get the thumbs up.

Okay, that's a tad derogatory but I didn't feel I really understood what the 3* michelin chefs thought, how genuinely impressed were they? Are they going to go home talking about this food with people? Did they learn anything?

To paraphrase somebody or other, "It's all about the food, stupid". This is TV for the masses and therefore you have to have the smiley faces and the nice comments and the "personalities". Somewhere in the the programme there is a good idea trying to escape, and you have to ask yourself two questions, first, "Would I like to eat the food presented at the Gherkin?" and second, "Could I come anywhere close by cooking it myself?". If the answers are Yes and No respectively then there may be some point (however small) to the programme, the rest of the garbage you just have to live with.